1.    #1  
    I started law school yesterday and for some reason my Pre doesn't like the school's WiFi network. I took it to their tech person, who had never touched a Pre before, and she could not make heads or tails. Apparently their network can't be automatically detected, you have to tell the device to find it. After doing that my Pre found the network but could not authenticate it. The tech person said it was because their network is WPA2 and my phone needed to support that. She told me to look for sysco (sic?) updates to make it work. I don't really understand all this but I was disappointed that it was not as easy as everything else had been with my Pre. Can anybody assist me? Will my phone work on this network and the tech person doesn't know the right way to make it work? I go to St Mary's University in San Antonio, TX if that helps. I appreciate any assistance. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nthngsms2fly View Post
    I started law school yesterday and for some reason my Pre doesn't like the school's WiFi network. I took it to their tech person, who had never touched a Pre before, and she could not make heads or tails. Apparently their network can't be automatically detected, you have to tell the device to find it. After doing that my Pre found the network but could not authenticate it. The tech person said it was because their network is WPA2 and my phone needed to support that. She told me to look for sysco (sic?) updates to make it work. I don't really understand all this but I was disappointed that it was not as easy as everything else had been with my Pre. Can anybody assist me? Will my phone work on this network and the tech person doesn't know the right way to make it work? I go to St Mary's University in San Antonio, TX if that helps. I appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

Palm's connectivity includes w-fi 802.11 b/g with WPA, WPA2, WEP, 802.1x authorization, so yours does what it's supposed to.

Mine picks up my corp wi-fi, my home system, 99% of hotels and airports I frequent.

Turn it off...all the way off....and turn it on again and then see if you can find your school's network. If not, they have it masked. They'll need to get you through their maze. It's not a Palm issue.

bj
    I'm sure she meant "Cisco". I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the "Enterprise" setting on the Pre is WPA2. She should be able to tell you the SSID. I've not tried forcing a connection to a masked SSID, but I'm reasonably sure it should work.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm sure she meant "Cisco". I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the "Enterprise" setting on the Pre is WPA2. She should be able to tell you the SSID. I've not tried forcing a connection to a masked SSID, but I'm reasonably sure it should work.
    Enterprise works for me on my campus.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    On my corporate WLAN I had to do the following (from memory):
    1) Log into corporate domain
    2) go to Internet Explorer settings, Certificates, export my corporate certificate
    3) sent certificate to my pre via email
    4) installed certificate
    5) User enterprise wifi connection on pre and put in unbroadcasted SSID.
    6) Put in my domain username and password
    7) Connection complete
  6.    #6  
    Seriously, this is awesome. Thank you all so much for your input and help. I'm going to try all of this and bring it back to them today to see if it works. Thanks!
    Get the SSID and network key from the Helpdesk at the school. On your Pre, go to WiFi and open WiFi Preferences. On the Choose a Network screen select Join Network. Where it says "enter network name" enter the SSID the Helpdesk gave you. The pre will negotiate the proper security protocol and prompt you for a WEP or WPA key. Enter the key twice and the Pre will save it. That should do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    On my corporate WLAN I had to do the following (from memory):
    1) Log into corporate domain
    2) go to Internet Explorer settings, Certificates, export my corporate certificate
    3) sent certificate to my pre via email
    4) installed certificate
    5) User enterprise wifi connection on pre and put in unbroadcasted SSID.
    6) Put in my domain username and password
    7) Connection complete
    on number 6)

I would add that at my school for some reason you need to put in the domain name and a \ at the beginning of the username so for my school which is mail.randomschool.edu for mail and inside.randomschool.edu for the internal website I just put randomschool\username instead of the username alone, this allowed me to connect without any problems.

good luck!

ps I believe it is \ but if that fails you try /
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    If your <insert network here> uses websense, your Pre (or any non-windows device) may not work (depending on the admin's settings). Most filters/authProviders use a MS proprietary NTLM authorization method that requires a windows authentication to pass thru. You can fake a NTLM auth on a nix box with this: NTLM Authorization Proxy Server | Get NTLM Authorization Proxy Server at SourceForge.net
    Someone might be able to put this in the Pre.
    any luck?
    Last edited by windzilla; 08/26/2009 at 05:46 PM.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Crosslink to thread dealing with the same thing:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...wifi-work.html
    I haven't tried this under 1.2 yet, but I was having trouble connecting to the WiFi networks that do a homepage hijack and require you to authenticate. I have a coffee shop that I frequent that has this, I can connect to the WiFi from a hardware level, but the browser hijack to the authentication page just doesn't take place so I can sign in to their WiFi service. Anyone else run in to this?
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    The browser hijack is done via DNS. On a notebook computer with one wifi link and no wired link, the DNS request goes over the wifi link and redirects you to their registration web page to sign in. On the Pre, I'm guessing that Palm decided to send the DNS request over the cellular link if there's cellular service available, which is why you're not seeing the browser hijack as expected. If this is the case, I'm thinking that a homebrew tweaks that turns off the cellular data link will fix the registration problem.....