Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I think the biggest problem with the Pre is it's sluggishness, especially at redraws and I think the vast majority of this has to do with using the CPU to draw all the objects. When they develop a driver to access the GPU, will it automatically output all draw commands to the GPU or will all the applications need to be rewritten to access the GPU? I'm just wondering what kind of timeline to expect a fix to the sluggishness.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    We are discussing that here right now:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ion-games.html

The short answer is that several things need to happen, not just a GPU driver. Since the GPU speaks "OpenGL ES", some aspect of OpenGL will need to be implemented as a framework/library. How far up the food chain this will extend is anyone's guess. Palm could likely make some of their generic animation/drawing commands automatically go to OpenGL, but other stuff will need to be coded on an app to app basis. This will require some sort of bridge between javascript and OpenGL, which does not exist yet (see posts about webGL).
    Basically, YES. A good example is the iphone.. it utilizes the GPU for most of its interface/os. As you can tell, the interface on the iphone is snappy.
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    Basically, YES. A good example is the iphone.. it utilizes the GPU for most of its interface/os. As you can tell, the interface on the iphone is snappy.
    It also helps that the apps are written in Objective-C rather than a crappy scripting language.