1.    #1  
    I noticed in Scott Kelby's latest "The Digital Photography Book: Volume 3" that one of the photographs he took is of a Pre! I'm just curious if anybody knows if he uses one or if he was just hired to do a photo shoot of one?

The photo is on page 84 and is of the front of a Pre with the keyboard open. The screen's launcher is up and you can see the first three rows are the default apps and the fourth row has the clock app, AccuWeather, and Pandora icons. The quick launcher has the defaults and the calendar's date is "11". It is 5:05, EVDO and Bluetooth are on, the phone signal bars are full, and the battery is full. (I'm guessing this is some prototype screenshot, LOL! No, really, though, since this book was released at the top of this month or so, I assume it isn't a real working phone shot 'cause that'd be awfully quick to get it into the book when the page is just about getting reflections in photos, which could've been done with any product photo he's shot.)

Anyway, no matter what, still a to the Pre in a book so quickly!
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Are you kidding?! Scott wrote the best-selling iPhone book of all time (with his buddy Terry White) and I assure you, he carries an iPhone.

That image was MY Pre and it was photographed by RC for an illustration of product photography. It was a real, working model from week one following release. - Guess my Pre is famous now.
    Last edited by larnapp; 08/25/2009 at 05:49 AM.
  3.    #3  
    I was just hoping he'd seen the light and switched! One can always hope....
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Not likely. However, there's a LOT of good-hearted banter. Just yesterday he came in my office and said, "Can you grab your Pre and shoot a little video for me?... Oh... sorry." I used to do that with Copy and Paste before the iPhone 3.0 OS came out so I was asking for it. -- It's the kind of good natured teasing that will never make him want a Pre or make me want an iPhone, but it's still fun around the office.

I don't plan on giving up my Pre, but Scott's just as dedicated to his iPhone.
    I didn't know Scott wrote books on phones too. I have always loved his photoshop books and got a lot of use out of them when I started my photography career.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mourningshadow View Post
    I didn't know Scott wrote books on phones too. I have always loved his photoshop books and got a lot of use out of them when I started my photography career.
    Turns out Scott is the best selling iPod book author, best selling iPhone book author, best selling Photoshop book author, best selling digital photography book author of all time, and the best selling tech book author across all categories, for 5 years in a row now. (I just want him to teach me how to type that fast.)
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    It would only make sense for Scott to carry an iPhone since he's totally Mac-invested on the computer side.

Plus, he's no fool: he knows that the general populace is into all things Apple, so he might as well get ahead of the curve, leverage his good name (no sarcasm intended), and put out a book that people will want to buy so they can understand the piece of tech they've purchased. And what better way to instruct about a piece of tech than by owning one yourself?

So, larnapp... is Scott as good a guy to work with in person as he seems in his videos?
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I was a NAPP member for many years, but had to drop my membership due this past year. But, I was going to ask the same thing.. is he as cool and nice as he seems on his videos / podcasts?
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Yep. What you see is what he really is.

I can honestly say that Scott is exactly the guy you see in podcasts and read in books. I've known him for years, we grew up in the same small town in Florida, and if he had skeletons in his closet, I'd know. The only thing in Scott's closet is camera gear.
    Who is this fellow?