Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone know what to do with this. This just started today being so bad that nothing fixes it. My phone has randomly displayed the volume in the past at random times, but today, the volume is now stuck all the way up. When I go to the sound & ringtones app and turn the volume all the way down via touchscreen, when I release my finger, the volume goes right back up. I checked the actual hardware volume button on the side, and there is nothing wrong with it. I did not drop my Pre. This is a serious problem now as I can't do anything else as the volume display takes over. I tried to upload a screen shot and this is the first attachment I've ever done, so I hope it works.

If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Oh by the way, I have done soft resets and hard resets including taking out the battery for 10 minutes. After the 10 min reset, this problem actually didn't happen for a few minutes, but then it just started up again! This sucks t nuts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Every last bit of evidence you've presented, suggests that
    it's a hardware problem with the button itself. Dunno why you
    would have concluded otherwise. I'd try blowing it out
    with canned air in case there's something stuck behind
    the button, but otherwise it's broken.

ian
    That is a common hardware problem that is caused by moisture coming in contact with the volume buttons. Trust me, that happened to my Pre and it was annoying as heck until I got my replacement. The best thing to do is put the Pre in a bag of rice for 24 hours with the battery out ASAP. If that doesn't fix it, then you will have to get a replacement.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  4.    #4  
    The reason I say its not hardware is because I have not done anything to the button for this to happen, and why did it not do it when the phone rebooted, and then after a minute or two, it did. I hope its hardware, and I will try an air can. It did have the volume just pop up randomly too ya know even since I got this Pre which is my second one also.
  5.    #5  
    Now more of you are saying hardware. I will try the rice jamboree method. Now that my phone is out of the 30 day thang, what do I do? Do I use TEP, or warranty and get replacement?
    Last edited by jbg7474; 11/23/2010 at 08:43 PM.
    I am willing to bet you that that it is a 99% chance of a hardware issue. If you are dead set on the idea of a software issue, then send your Pre to the WebOS Doctor.

When I had the problem I had several other problems (crack at USB port, LCD discoloration), but you can try to claim hardware defect. If they are nice enough, then they will take your word. If they challenge your claim though, you will have to use TEP and pay the $100 deductible.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  7.    #7  
    No, I'm not dead set on software. I just took a can of spray air and concentrated that mofo right on the volume up location inside the battery cover and now the dang thang is not stuck! Hopefully it lasts. Thanks for the help you geniuses!
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    The reason I say its not hardware is because I have not done anything to the button for this to happen, and why did it not do it when the phone rebooted, and then after a minute or two, it did. I hope its hardware, and I will try an air can. It did have the volume just pop up randomly too ya know even since I got this Pre which is my second one also.
    I had the exact same thing (without even having to touch it). I brought it to the sprint store, they opened it up, cleaned the button up and I haven't had it happen since.

It is hardware.
    I had the same thing happen to me. I took it to the Sprint store and they took the battery out and told me that was all they did and let it hard reset. It has worked fine for about 2 weeks. Now today it started doing it again. I will be taking it back this week.
    Maybe it is coincidental, but when the same thing happened to me last week, I used WebOS Doctor to do a full reset and that cured it with no problems since. I didn't clean the hardware or dry it out in anyway....
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    My phone has randomly displayed the volume in the past at random times, but today, the volume is now stuck all the way up.

<snip>

If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Oh by the way, I have done soft resets and hard resets including taking out the battery for 10 minutes. After the 10 min reset, this problem actually didn't happen for a few minutes, but then it just started up again! This sucks t nuts
    It's a known issue. A Sprint authorized repair center should replace the phone without question.
    Quote Originally Posted by nebj00la View Post
    It's a known issue. A Sprint authorized repair center should replace the phone without question.
    Is this true? My phone just started doing this. It did it randomly for about two days but the problem went away for awhile each time I reset the phone. Then it was fine for the last few days and just now it has started doing it again. Except now a reset doesn't help. Will Sprint only replace the phone if I have insurance on it or does this fall under the Palm warranty? (I got BB Geek Squad and I am kicking myself for it after hearing problems many people have had with it) If it falls under the Palm warranty and I should be able to get it replaced, no questions asked, should I remove the screen protector and patches I have on the phone before I take it to Sprint?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    my up button dosent work at all and ive tried a reset and nothing havent tried a web os doctor but not sure how to do that anyway
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    had this happen the other day. I did a reset and it stopped but the volume up didn't work. I turned the phone off removed the battery an poked at the back side of the buttons, put the battery back in and restarted the phone and its fine. Don't know what the problem was or what I did that made it better.
    I had this problem also, for a while a reset or battery pulled helped the problem but after a while it stopped helping and the volume up didn't work at all. I took it to a Sprint store yesterday. They said they would try to fix it and told me to come back in 90 minutes. I came back and they said they couldn't fix it so they gave me a new Pre on the spot. Ok so it is a refurb but I am still happy because I had a pretty major scratch on my screen of my old Pre and now I don't.

And for what its worth I don't have the TEP insurance. This problem falls under the manufacture's warranty. So take it in for an exchange!
    I've been having the volume-stuck-on problem of late too. comes and goes. Tried the swiping-piece-of-paper across contacts, helped for a while, that trick isn't working anymore. Pulled off the rocker & cleaned contacts with alcohol, no help. Compressed air, no help either. Guess I'll have to take it into store, what a pain.

I keep hearing about how the Pre is "moisture sensitive" -- well, I can't help it that I live in New Orleans where you can practically swim through the air some days; does this mean I just shouldn't have a Pre at all?
    I'm having this issue too and I'm planning on taking it in to Sprint tomorrow.

Should I visit the doctor before going? I'm syncing my photos and I guess will wipe the USB drive.

If they do decide to give me a new one, how do I wipe the phone of my data? I've always been able to do hard resets or something, but I'm not sure of anything like that on the Pre.

Once I sign out of my Palm Profile, does everything disappear?
    I thought I would chime in here because I just had this problem and remedied it.
    I think one of the possible causes is indeed moisture. For what its worth I live in a van and it got to 10F last night so some moisture condensed on my roof. This morning My volume rocker was rendered useless. It acted as if I was constantly pressing the lower volume portion of the rocker and wouldn't let me increase sound. Even if I changed the volume in the Sounds and Ringtones it would automatically start to vibrate and lower the volume until it was silent again. After reading this thread I took of the battery cover and blew onto the contacts of the rocker switch and everything seems to be working again. Looks like I'll need to keep my phone in my sleeping bag from now on :P
    My Pre started having this problem this week. I took it to the sprint store and they reset it a couple of times but the volume down button still seems to be stuck. The phone is under warranty, but no replacement insurance. Sprint told me I'd have to take it up with Palm / HP. I spent an hour on the phone with Palm tech support who had me reset it multiple times and try the interactive hardware tests (volume buttons didn't respond in the test). They told me I could mail it in for a free repair and I'd get it back in 15 days or so.....or, I can pay them $29.95 plus a $400 holding charge and they'd ship me a replacement and refund the $400 when the defective phone arrives there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjovi View Post
    My Pre started having this problem this week. I took it to the sprint store and they reset it a couple of times but the volume down button still seems to be stuck. The phone is under warranty, but no replacement insurance. Sprint told me I'd have to take it up with Palm / HP. I spent an hour on the phone with Palm tech support who had me reset it multiple times and try the interactive hardware tests (volume buttons didn't respond in the test). They told me I could mail it in for a free repair and I'd get it back in 15 days or so.....or, I can pay them $29.95 plus a $400 holding charge and they'd ship me a replacement and refund the $400 when the defective phone arrives there.
    Did you try a Sprint store or just over the phone?

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast