Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I switched from ATT because I wanted the pre and didn't want to shell out over $100 for the iphone, plus my GF is on sprint and I was using up all my anytime minutes with ATT .

Had a blackeberry with ATT, loved the ATT coverage but wanted more from my phone. Switched to sprint, got the pre, and the trouble begins. Signal drops, switches from roaming, to EVDO, to 1x, to no signal, drops calls, drains battery, and the slider was flopping around.

Swapped for a new PRE....slider issue fixed, other issues still happening. My GF has a Rumor 2 on sprint, I can hold it next to my phone and she will be getting 3 or 4 bars and I'll have 1 or 2 or none. It is very frustrating since I love the device more than the iphone.

Called sprint today for the first time, after being on the phone with a level 2 tech for 35-40 min, his answer......"since you are within the 30 day window I would just get a different phone since the pre isn't good for you."

Problem is, I don't WANT a new phone, I want the functionality of this phone. It's just a PITA right now, I think I may have to drop sprint and go back to ATT and shell out for an iphone.
    strong signal here...San Jose, CA.
    Is this primarily happening at your home? If so, I would look into getting an airave. Fixed my problems at home, and I received it for free via retentions.
    Having been an electriction and wiring many cell towers for Verizon I learned a lot. Verizon is really the best nationwide provider. Followed by ATT ( lacks the much bragged about 3G even in major metropolitan areas). Next comes sprint which in all honesty has the strongest signal but it is much more line of site based. i.e. you go inside and signal drop occurs. However, sprint is the best I have found for 3G even in some smaller towns.

I had ATT and the Iphone for 3years and dropped them because the 3G ability was so sparse around Des Moines, IA. The capital and biggest city in Iowa. That is truly Pathetic. Sprint hauls the signal to places you would not believe.

However, as soon as I get away from the main interstates or medium size cities signal strenth does drop a lot. It really is a crap shoot as to wanting a cool functional phone or a dependable provider with unlimited minutes and data for 100.00 a month.

Good luck and hang in there. I think good things are to come and ATT will continue to shoot themselves in the foot. If they did not lock the Iphone down they would be nothing right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by duboisia View Post
    Having been an electriction and wiring many cell towers for Verizon I learned a lot.
    How long have you been an electriction?
  6.    #6  
    The signal issues happen everywhere, as in my pre signal is weaker than my girlfriends rumor 2 signal everywhere...however I do at least get some signal most places when we are out. At home is the worst, I was kind of egging them on about an airrave but they just said to try a new phone which was unbelievable to me, they were trying to push me away from their flagship phone.

I'm a network admin, and I like Blackberry but I haven't been able to talk my boss into purchasing BES...plus that would be $20 extra a month on sprint to synch with my exchange server.

I may try calling back later this week and see if I can talk to retention
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Call Palm. They made the phone.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
    I don't think it's all on Sprint. This is the 3rd phone I've had with them and this is also the first I've had this kind of problem. Same as everyone else with wishy-washy signal strength. I blame Palm.
    We had the same problem here in Redding, We live in the North part and get zero to 1 bar in our home. I called customer service, said we couldn't get a signal and wondered if we should just cancel our account, and was offered the Airave free with free service. It works great here in the house now. Get between 4 & 5 bars all the time. Works mostly for voice, switch to wifi if you need to go onto internet, and texting seems to work ok too.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    you have to understand that every carrier has signal issues everywhere, you cannot blame a carrier for certain issues, im sure alot of us has pre and has no issues, and yea maybe the pre is not for everyone
    Thanks for a thread I can vent in!!!

Signal sucks in Joliet, IL area (Plainfield,Aurora,Shorewood, Minooka) Etc.
    Also sucks in Huntsville, AL. Like everyone else it goes form full bars to no bars in the exact same spot within a few second from each other. Sprint has the worst signal out there with the worst customer servive out there.

I switched from AT&T and never had a problem with AT&T. I switched right before I was going on a business trip for a month to Alabama. Before I switched I looked at Sprint's website and my home in Illinois showed it should have excellent reception. I also checked the area I would be in Alabama and it also said Excellent. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL.

Alabama Was bad but "usable" until I got back to Illinois. At my house I am lucky if I get 3 minutes without a dropped call or just have to hang up because you can not even understand what the other person is saying.

Now I understand why Sprint is cheaper and has unlimited data. Because they know you will have to use "texting" more than the voice service because you will not be able to hear the other person.

I am screwed because I am out of the 30 day return because I bought it before going on the business trip. But like I said Sprint's wesite shows my "exact house address" as "EXCELLENT RECEPTION"

I know It is still my problem because I had 30 days but when it shows that it should be the best area I did not think it would be that much of a problem when I got back from the business trip.

IMOSprint Sucks

Hopefully this is just a Pre thing and can be fixed with a update.
    deam bad bad signal here white the palm pre..i have also pal centro and the last one work exelent......i dont know what's the problem..i call like 10 tiemes sprint costumer and tecnical suport.....and satel same thing signal bad bad bad......
    Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO3000 View Post
    deam bad bad signal here white the palm pre..i have also pal centro and the last one work exelent......i dont know what's the problem..i call like 10 tiemes sprint costumer and tecnical suport.....and satel same thing signal bad bad bad......
    Whoa.....could you run that by me one more time?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    Thanks for a thread I can vent in!!!

Signal sucks in Joliet, IL area (Plainfield,Aurora,Shorewood, Minooka) Etc.
    Also sucks in Huntsville, AL. Like everyone else it goes form full bars to no bars in the exact same spot within a few second from each other. Sprint has the worst signal out there with the worst customer servive out there.

I switched from AT&T and never had a problem with AT&T. I switched right before I was going on a business trip for a month to Alabama. Before I switched I looked at Sprint's website and my home in Illinois showed it should have excellent reception. I also checked the area I would be in Alabama and it also said Excellent. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL.

Alabama Was bad but "usable" until I got back to Illinois. At my house I am lucky if I get 3 minutes without a dropped call or just have to hang up because you can not even understand what the other person is saying.

Now I understand why Sprint is cheaper and has unlimited data. Because they know you will have to use "texting" more than the voice service because you will not be able to hear the other person.

I am screwed because I am out of the 30 day return because I bought it before going on the business trip. But like I said Sprint's wesite shows my "exact house address" as "EXCELLENT RECEPTION"

I know It is still my problem because I had 30 days but when it shows that it should be the best area I did not think it would be that much of a problem when I got back from the business trip.

IMOSprint Sucks

Hopefully this is just a Pre thing and can be fixed with a update.

I live in Schaumburg and travel daily to Joliet/Naperville/Plainfield/Aurora for work and have flawless service both in the car and in the offices I visit... I am on the Plam PRO... I am guessing it is your PRE...
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEROpcs View Post
    I live in Schaumburg and travel daily to Joliet/Naperville/Plainfield/Aurora for work and have flawless service both in the car and in the offices I visit... I am on the Plam PRO... I am guessing it is your PRE...
    I know it is not just a individual Pre because I bought 3 of them. I hope it is just something that can be fixed with a update.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    im in lisle (parents live in plainfield area, i work near schaumburg)...

i went from a pro to a pre, and so far i find the pre to have better reception in those area's...however it doesnt work @ all in my house, whereas my pro would...i sent ecare an email addressing this and they said i could get a free airave...im hesitant though because sprint should work where they advertise to work.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    I know it is not just a individual Pre because I bought 3 of them. I hope it is just something that can be fixed with a update.
    I am just pointing out that I travel to the same areas you do, use the same service provider you do, have a different phone and have zero issues... In your first post you blamed Sprint, clearly the network is fine, so that leaves your handset or unmentioned variable...
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I am just pointing out that I travel to the same areas you do, use the same service provider you do, have a different phone and have zero issues... In your first post you blamed Sprint, clearly the network is fine, so that leaves your handset or unmentioned variable...
    I live in Joliet and travel up and down 59 and 355 all the time. i have had more dropped calls with the Pre than any other phone on Sprint. i also show that the reception at my house shows excellent but had to install an airave to even be able to talk on my front porch. my wife and daughter have other phones on sprint and have no problems.
    Many threads about same problems since launch date..
    LOL, it is both the pre which has one of the worst signal reception of any Sprint phone, and Sprint whcih has a pretty poor voice signal nationwide.

See the latest JD powers, sprint is dead last for voice quality across the coutnry:
    Ratings | J.D. Power
    2009 Wireless Call Quality Performance Study - Volume 2 | J.D. Power and Associates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast