1.    #1  
    I really apologize if this has been already posted, I didn't find anything from searches but I had an interesting situation occur today.

I have done a little homebrew here and there, right now I only have the nascar/NFL hiding mods and a few apps which I've had forever.

Today I plugged in the Pre and noticed an hour later I was down to 75% from 100%, quickly went through and double checked everything, found GPS on for some reason and turned that off, but a slight drain still remained.

I couldn't figure it out as I never had this happen before, the only thing different from last week was the WhiteOut (flashlight) homebrew app which I deleted, though I didn't notice anything over the weekend with it.

However I did remember I left Dev Mode on, which I quickly turned off and noticed my battery quickly charging.

(I had tried restarting and turning off/on so dev mode restart wasn't a variable)

So it was either this homebrew or leaving dev mode on, has anyone else experienced this problem?

--I know I should've tested one than the other but I've never considered myself a patient person
    Last edited by alex.dobeck; 08/24/2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: clarification
    Good question. I see no reason to keep it on (unless you are really a dev) now that we don't need it to install apps.
    I believe dev mode only opens ports in the firewall so I don't believe it's possible for it to affect battery life (unless, of course, it does more than that).
    I leave it on all the time, and have no battery life issues.
    I always left my pre in dev mode too, but kinda got my pre to where i really love it, so last night turned off dev mode for the 1st time since i got it, and 3 1/2 hours into my day i'm still at 100% battery, usually would be at about 90% at this time...thinking dev mode is the culprit since thats the only change i've made....
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    when I first put mine in dev mode the battery drained twice as fast. One reboot later and it was fine and battery life seems as it used to be even with dev mode on.
    My pre is still in dev mode, can't tell any difference.
    do you need dev mode to use preware?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    you do need to have dev mode on to install any patches but apps should install fine

chime in if i'm wrong
    Preware does not need Dev Mode enabled.
    Webos Quick Install requires Dev mode enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberone3 View Post
    you do need to have dev mode on to install any patches but apps should install fine

chime in if i'm wrong
    Interesting thought. I'll turn off my dev mode and see if it makes a difference. I've noticed my battery draining fast lately, even without data or wifi or bluetooth on.
    what if i used webOS quick install, have installed all of the patches, tweaks, and apps I want/need. Can i then go in and turn it off or will by doing so screw something up?

obviously if and when i want to make a change to the phone again i understand i'd need to turn dev mode back on.
    How do you manually do it?

Also, is it normal for your phone to lose its signal (no signal or perhaps it said searching instead of sprint) while installing patches? Thanks!

Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by joshpdavis80 View Post

Also, is it normal for your phone to lose its signal (no signal or perhaps it said searching instead of sprint) while installing patches? Thanks!

Josh
    There is a patch in preware to unhide the dev mode icon then you can switch it on and off....don't know about signal loss while installing patches though sorry
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    I figured out how to do it manually. Can anyone answer the other question?

Josh

Josh

Josh
    I'm assuming your not doing the patch installs over WiFi. If so, yes, that's normal on Sprint. For the same reason you cannot talk on the phone while browsing a web site - the CDMA signal doesn't allow data and voice at the same time. The patch is pulling down over the data network.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    OK. To answer orignal question no dev mode doesn't require more power from your phone, but it is a security risk to leave it open with out creating something equivlent to a profile wit a password on a windows system which is a (sudo). Dev modes opens ports to allow access to the root of your phone.Which it not password protected.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

Josh
    to manually install a patch would be to use web os quick install or the preware version of the same software and there are instructions for that
    hparsons

I did not have preware installed yet. I was using web os quick install and the usb cable. So I am glad to hear that it is normal. Thanks!