1.    #1  
    At my workplace, access to the wireless LAN (WLAN) is dependent on a web based login. The SSID takes a WEP pass and when you first try to open a website..a webpage with a login screen is displayed. After successful login, you are free to surf the Usuallt, on a laptop for instance, the weblogin lasts for at least 24 hours. Using the Pre Web program, however I have to relogin/sign in constantly...It very clearly happens anytime I shutoff the screen, as if the wifi connection is also turned off.

Any ideas???
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Working as designed.

The pre will shut down wifi to conserve battery when it's in sleep mode.
  3.    #3  
    That doesn't click with the fact that it downloads emails over wifi, open webpages update over wifi, and that Palm's advice is to keep wifi on since it requires less battery power than cdma. I thought this problem would be related to how the security cookies are saved and set to expire in the web browser??

Thanks for thinking about it.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeydcomment View Post
    That doesn't click with the fact that it downloads emails over wifi,
    Me thinks that you might want to check your facts on this one. From the investigations that I have done following the report from another forum user, the Pre's IMAP implementation seems to *always* go out via the CDMA interface even if there's a WiFi or VPN link available with a direct route to the destination server. (The only way to make it not go out via the CDMA link is if it isn't available as far as I can tell.)

With regards to your particular WiFi problem, could it be that the NAC system your employer uses is dependent on a JavaScript web page timed reload happening every X many minutes to decide if you have logged off or not, and the Pre isn't doing that reload with the browser minimized in the name of saving battery power?????
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    The Pre isn't downloading -anything- over wifi when its asleep. It does it over the CDMA radio when its asleep since that is -always- on.

When you wake the Pre up, you'll see it turn the wifi back on and renegotiate a connection just by looking at the radio icons at the top right of the screen. Once wifi is back up, yes it will once again re-route data requests out the wifi.... until the phone goes to sleep and it shuts wifi off again.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    That doesn't click with the fact that it downloads emails over wifi, open webpages update over wifi, and that Palm's advice is to keep wifi on since it requires less battery power than cdma. I thought this problem would be related to how the security cookies are saved and set to expire in the web browser??

Thanks for thinking about it.
    Not when the screens turned off. Turn it on back and see that wifi is waking up and EV is going to sleep.
  7.    #7  
    Hey, thanks all for the education -- darn that kinda sucks.

So I should probably post this to the Palm suggestions, but it sure would be nice if I could specify when Wifi was turned on/off. Or if there was someway for it to recognize that once I was logged in once to my password protected WLAN that it would keep wifi open until I was out of range for "x" amount of time.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    As far as suggestions:

I see it configurable to keep the screen alive up to 3 minutes.

I see that as beneficial for the battery life. But if that were to be more important to you, I could see it if they gave you an option to open that up where you could have it not sleep for say 20 minutes (huge battery drain, but keeps the connection).

Maybe,
    Dave
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I think this could be an easy enough fix (easy for me to say). I mean, they could make an option to keep it on. I see why they defaulted as they did. It does save battery.

But I get terrible reception in my office. Sometimes I will plug it in and put it in my shirt pocket. I just noticed that while plugged in, it will keep the wifi alive, even though asleep.

Dave
  10.    #10  
    Does anyone know if the battery drain is greater for the screen vs. wifi? My wishlist wish is not for the screen to stay on, just for the wifi, so I don't lose my WLAN login. I've had no problems with battery power since getting the seidio 2600, so I'd sacrifice some battery power in order to stay logged in to my wifi. Anyhow, I've put in a suggestion to Palm feedback -- thanks all for commenting.
  11.    #11  
    Hey all, again,
    So, some new info:
    I downloaded Nodoze by gpfountz on Homebrew and have it enabled and working. So my Wifi is not turning off when the screen goes to sleep.

Despite that, I still have to relogin to my WLAN within about 5 minutes after turning off my screen.

More details: when I first attempt to access the web after connecting to the specific SSID, I get a login screen. After loggin in, a new browser card opens with a disconnect button, and the original browser card opens the site that I tried to open when first starting the browser. Despite keeping the "disconnect" card open and not hitting disconnect, if I turn the screen off (and keep wifi on via Nodoze), and then come back to it after a few minutes and hit a link, I'm redirected back to the login screen.

As vreihen suggested, I thought maybe this had to do with some sort of time-out implemented by my employer NAC... BUT this doesn't happen when I use a laptop and browse with IE or firefox.....so I get the impression that it has something to do with the WebOS broswer.....does that make any sense????????
    If you use The homebrews, the "nodoze" app works for this.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    As vreihen suggested, I thought maybe this had to do with some sort of time-out implemented by my employer NAC... BUT this doesn't happen when I use a laptop and browse with IE or firefox.....so I get the impression that it has something to do with the WebOS broswer.....does that make any sense????????
    The web is stateless. The only way that a NAC device can tell that you're still connected when using a web browser is to keep having your web browser load pages. There's a convenient JavaScript function to do this, telling your web browser to reload the page every X many seconds. If the reload stops, your NAC assumes that the device has been powered off and closes it's connection.

My guess is that nodoze only keeps the WiFi link up, but doesn't tell the web browser that it shouldn't be a responsible application and not reload web pages when the screen is off and nobody can see them. Hence, you get booted from the NAC, even though the WiFi is still up and running.

If you put your laptop into hibernate or suspend mode for 15 minutes (so it can't re-load the NAC page automatically), I bet you'll see that it also gets disconnected.

Wish that I had a solution/workaround to suggest, but I'm pretty confident that this is the problem.....