1.    #1  
    Does the Pre have push email for any email clients out there? or are they all set to pull email every 15 minutes or so?
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    It does have push.
    Obviously your email client has to support though.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by j0sh097 View Post
    It does have push.
    Obviously your email client has to support though.
    OK, So which do?
    Imap (when supported on the server), Exchange (I believe)... any others?
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I have only tried gmail, hotmail, and live email accounts and only google supports push/imap.
    I have yet to try my yahoo or aol accounts.
    My college email which is on a microsoft exchange server just like jaytee said also supports it.
    Last edited by j0sh097; 08/24/2009 at 08:34 AM.
    The e-mail client that comes with the Pre supports push as long as the e-mail service provider does.

Examples: Google's GMail, Microsoft Exchange, Yahoo, or any IMAP e-mail provider that supports the IDLE protocol (the IMAP method of push e-mail).

Many Internet Service Providers (ISPs) offer e-mail as part of their service (for example Verizon FiOS), but some of them only offer POP3 e-mail which does NOT support push capability. If you want push e-mail you need to either use an Exchange e-mail provider or an IMAP IDLE e-mail provider (like GMail, Fastmail, etc.)

Hope that clears it up for you.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    The e-mail client that comes with the Pre supports push as long as the e-mail service provider does.

Examples: Google's GMail, Microsoft Exchange, Yahoo, or any IMAP e-mail provider that supports the IDLE protocol (the IMAP method of push e-mail).

Many Internet Service Providers (ISPs) offer e-mail as part of their service (for example Verizon FiOS), but some of them only offer POP3 e-mail which does NOT support push capability. If you want push e-mail you need to either use an Exchange e-mail provider or an IMAP IDLE e-mail provider (like GMail, Fastmail, etc.)

Hope that clears it up for you.
    My main email is hotmail, So I guess I am SOL there? I know they just changed hotmail the other day, but I am not sure what that was all about.
    Quote Originally Posted by netviper View Post
    My main email is hotmail, So I guess I am SOL there? I know they just changed hotmail the other day, but I am not sure what that was all about.
    I don't use Hotmail (Windows Live), so I can't tell you whether or not it works, but the Pre has settings for a lot of the popular services. For Yahoo, Palm set up a proxy IMAP server to provide the push e-mail capability. They may have done something similar for Hotmail. I suggest you try it and see. Or perhaps someone else that uses Hotmail can chime in and let us know.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by netviper View Post
    I also have hotmail. I set up a gmail account and have a copy of all hotmail emails sent to the gmail account. That way I can use the push technology. Of course, I have to delete emails from both accounts at some point.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I also have hotmail. I set up a gmail account and have a copy of all hotmail emails sent to the gmail account. That way I can use the push technology. Of course, I have to delete emails from both accounts at some point.
    I did the same thing and it works great, there is an option where it will not save copies of the emails that get forwarded which I use, just so I don't have to go in and delete them out. Since they are getting forwarded, figure I don't need a duplicate one. It has really made the email situation so much easier getting it funneled through GMail.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    I have tried to sync with Microsoft exchange from work with NO Success.. Any recommendation?