Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I'm going to Europe next month. If I'm at a Wifi hot spot, is there a way for me to make calls on my Pre?

Am I correct that I won't be able to text?

Thanks.
    Sheldon
    I'm sure someone who knows better will jump in, but this is my understanding. WiFi will let you access the internet, but calls can't be made using WiFi. Texting will depend on what each carrier's arrangement is with Sprint. This is the explanation I got from Sprint before going to Korea and India earlier this month. And it seemed accurate. I could not always text, but it did work most places we visited. One problem I did have with WiFi occasionally was that before you could use some hotspots they required that you send an SMS to a particular address. Well, sometimes that worked and sometimes it didn't. If I were to do it all over, I'd rent a cell phone and be done with it
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    BTW, I'll be in Warsaw, Poland. I have an old Motorola phone that takes a SIM, so I could use that. But I thought I'd save myself the trouble.
    Install MyTether and bring a laptop, then use VOIP through the laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by srichman View Post
    BTW, I'll be in Warsaw, Poland. I have an old Motorola phone that takes a SIM, so I could use that. But I thought I'd save myself the trouble.
    You're probably best off taking your old GSM Motorola phone with you.

If something like Skype (VOIP) was available for the Pre, and you had a Skype account, you could make calls from a WiFi connection.
    Last edited by palandri; 08/24/2009 at 08:43 AM.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

+1 would like to see a native (i.e. local) Skype app.

I'm in Ukraine at the moment, using my Pre at various WiFi hotspots for mobile web surfing and push email. No phone calls or SMS.

I'm not saying it's impossible. But very simple to use a cheap Nokia with pre-paid SIM for voice calls/SMS. And I refuse to roam for CDMA at Sprint international rates.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Think this one through:

1) Connect Pre to wifi access point.
    2) Launch MyTether
    3) Connect laptop to Pre

yeah... now laptop is connected to the wifi access point via the Pre!

Not making fun - I think you just missed a couple details in his question. He wants to use his Pre to make a VOIP call via wifi. If he has a laptop he can connect directly to the wifi and do as he pleases.

Anyway, Pre/VOIP = not possible, yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by webOZ View Post
    Think this one through:

1) Connect Pre to wifi access point.
    2) Launch MyTether
    3) Connect laptop to Pre

yeah... now laptop is connected to the wifi access point via the Pre!

Not making fun - I think you just missed a couple details in his question. He wants to use his Pre to make a VOIP call via wifi. If he has a laptop he can connect directly to the wifi and do as he pleases.

Anyway, Pre/VOIP = not possible, yet.
    isn't google talk VOIP?
    Quote Originally Posted by kgilbertsen View Post
    I'm sure someone who knows better will jump in, but this is my understanding. WiFi will let you access the internet, but calls can't be made using WiFi. Texting will depend on what each carrier's arrangement is with Sprint. This is the explanation I got from Sprint before going to Korea and India earlier this month. And it seemed accurate. I could not always text, but it did work most places we visited. One problem I did have with WiFi occasionally was that before you could use some hotspots they required that you send an SMS to a particular address. Well, sometimes that worked and sometimes it didn't. If I were to do it all over, I'd rent a cell phone and be done with it
    Just got my bill from Sprint. It included an additional $100+ for data roaming! After calling customer service and talking with a supervisor, they first offered to waive half the charges and finally waived them all as a 'one time courtesy'. I thanked them and assured them I'd never be using the phone while traveling again - I'd simply rent a phone somewhere else. fwiw.
    With Google Voice you could do text messages, but there isn't a VOIP app for the Pre yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    With Google Voice you could do text messages, but there isn't a VOIP app for the Pre yet.
    That's exactly the kind of app I'm looking for, I thought Google Voice could do that.. VOIP via wifi or evdo.

I'm gonna put up an app request and donate $10 to anyone who gets started on the app and couple dollars more for finishing it. I support the idea of having a VOIP app cuz all I see is Google talk I want to be able to use gizmo5 on the pre instead of the netbook to get all my incoming calls. and make it compatiable with a Bluetooth headset..
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    If you have a laptop then just use Skype with the laptop. What good would the Pre be in Europe anyway as it's CDMA (except for wifi but just use laptop's wifi for VOIP)?
    Quote Originally Posted by kgilbertsen View Post
    Just got my bill from Sprint. It included an additional $100+ for data roaming! After calling customer service and talking with a supervisor, they first offered to waive half the charges and finally waived them all as a 'one time courtesy'. I thanked them and assured them I'd never be using the phone while traveling again - I'd simply rent a phone somewhere else. fwiw.
    WTF? Was this roaming in the USA or overseas? Was it data calls or voice? Roaming is supposedly included in the Everything Data plan so is this some other roaming charge?
    Quote Originally Posted by coolgreany View Post
    If you have a laptop then just use Skype with the laptop. What good would the Pre be in Europe anyway as it's CDMA (except for wifi but just use laptop's wifi for VOIP)?
    Never said I was taking this overseas. Btw I agree with you totally with using wifi and laptop. Sometimes these days people opt for smaller package so you so you're less obligated to bring it with you all the time. As a businessman, there's always an alternative. Seeing the openness with the pre's WebOS. You're underestimating it's potential. We need an app that lets you do VOIP with Evdo or wifi. As for traveling overseas -most definitely wifi.
    There's no microphone access in the SDK yet, so no VOIP for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    There's no microphone access in the SDK yet, so no VOIP for now.
    why not just hack into the pre's already built in phone app.. as you would with any of the phone's functions..? All of the hardware is there. how hard can it be?
    maybe I wouldn't understand but it's not like you're saying it's impossible. Do you even need mic access via SDK?
    Quote Originally Posted by srichman View Post
    I'm going to Europe next month. If I'm at a Wifi hot spot, is there a way for me to make calls on my Pre?

Am I correct that I won't be able to text?

Thanks.
    Sheldon
    Sign up for Google Voice. Then down load the Homebrew Filecoaster application . You will have access to several Google applications to choose from.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickC5 View Post
    Sign up for Google Voice. Then down load the Homebrew Filecoaster application . You will have access to several Google applications to choose from.
    Wrong. The Google Voice applications use your voice minutes just like any other call.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    so the pre cant make voice over wifi calls? do we just need software for this like skype or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by arcolino View Post
    so the pre cant make voice over wifi calls? do we just need software for this like skype or something?
    No, we need APIs first so that developers can write the software like Skype.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast