Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    When the Treo was made, I remember reading somewhere that they said "it's a phone first." And it was. A good phone. Occasional software screw ups, and lately my Treo would crash during calls sometimes, but not that often.

Now the Pre's Phone App is horrid. It lags, accidentally picks up, hangs up, I've been missing calls often because it doesn't recognize my slide or tap in time, double-dialing numbers because of the lag, reaching the call log is slow, and basically, it's a horrible phone!

I love the OS, but missing calls is completely unreasonable for a "phone."

So here's my question:
    Will we get a solution to this?
    Can someone write a "fast" phone app?
    Is there a way to give phone processes priority time over everything else?
    Would "overclocking" or other solutions help?

Or is the Pre doomed to be the anti-treo: web browser first, phone last?
    Quote Originally Posted by feivel View Post
    When the Treo was made, I remember reading somewhere that they said "it's a phone first." And it was. A good phone. Occasional software screw ups, and lately my Treo would crash during calls sometimes, but not that often.

Now the Pre's Phone App is horrid. It lags, accidentally picks up, hangs up, I've been missing calls often because it doesn't recognize my slide or tap in time, double-dialing numbers because of the lag, reaching the call log is slow, and basically, it's a horrible phone!

I love the OS, but missing calls is completely unreasonable for a "phone."

So here's my question:
    Will we get a solution to this?
    Can someone write a "fast" phone app?
    Is there a way to give phone processes priority time over everything else?
    Would "overclocking" or other solutions help?

Or is the Pre doomed to be the anti-treo: web browser first, phone last?
    its not just the phone app its all apps they all have a delay
    its the os
    the good news is that updates keep coming
    its only been 2 and a hlf months and it keeps getting better
    i can't promise you anything but the os looks promising.
    The phone app is abysmal, but everything else as far as speed works fine
    and as far as apps opening slow? It takes a second longer than a 3GS?
    But you don't have to close cards...
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Indeed, if the phone app were able to have priority over the animation, we'd probably be fine. Is there a way to disable the animations? ie. glide-up, gradual re-size, notification areas, etc... If the phone app just appeared without sliding in, that might fix some of the problems.

Actually - that might be the fix for many problems. Is there a hack to disable animations, like in most versions of Windows? If not, can we formally request it of our beloved hackers/hombrewers?
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    just have the Takephone developer code palms phone app....considering what he made the Treo/Centro phone app do.....this phone would truly rock....now he may not fix some lag but the added options would offset the lag (imop)

I see he has ported takephone to the iphone....so maybe its possible that webos gets takephone soon??? we could only hope.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    Try this out and see if it's just me.

Call your home (or other) phone from your Pre. Hang up and then immediately call your Pre from the number you just called. On mine, 9 times out of 10 it will go straight to voicemail. It's like it takes the Pre a minute or so to figure out you've ended the call.

Other than that, I'd love to have the phone app go away by itself when you end a call.
    Quote Originally Posted by feivel View Post
    Indeed, if the phone app were able to have priority over the animation, we'd probably be fine. Is there a way to disable the animations? ie. glide-up, gradual re-size, notification areas, etc... If the phone app just appeared without sliding in, that might fix some of the problems.

Actually - that might be the fix for many problems. Is there a hack to disable animations, like in most versions of Windows? If not, can we formally request it of our beloved hackers/hombrewers?
    I keep seeing this comment... and I agree the visual element of the phone app is slow at times - but the phone DOES pickup before the app loads. Try it.

I can slide the button up and start talking long before the green screen appears and the other person can hear me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    I keep seeing this comment... and I agree the visual element of the phone app is slow at times - but the phone DOES pickup before the app loads. Try it.

I can slide the button up and start talking long before the green screen appears and the other person can hear me.
    The "visual element" of the phone being slow may be a javascript issue. The real phone functionality will be buried somewhere in the OS and written in C.
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1 View Post
    just have the Takephone developer code palms phone app....considering what he made the Treo/Centro phone app do.....this phone would truly rock....now he may not fix some lag but the added options would offset the lag (imop)

I see he has ported takephone to the iphone....so maybe its possible that webos gets takephone soon??? we could only hope.
    The Takephone developer may not want to write a WebOS app. He certainly won't be able to port any of his exsiting code which he may have been able to do to some extent with the iPhone.
    I have had worse phones. You could be using two cups and string like the IPhone uses with ATT.
    I have never had an issue with the phone app yet.

Nor has my gf.
    Quote Originally Posted by mfowler70 View Post
    Try this out and see if it's just me.

Call your home (or other) phone from your Pre. Hang up and then immediately call your Pre from the number you just called. On mine, 9 times out of 10 it will go straight to voicemail. It's like it takes the Pre a minute or so to figure out you've ended the call.

Other than that, I'd love to have the phone app go away by itself when you end a call.
    I can recreate that with a few of my past phones. Its not a pre issue, its a cell phone issue. Its like when someone calls you, you JUST miss it, you call back and 9 out of 10 times, it'll go straight to voicemail.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    I can recreate that with a few of my past phones. Its not a pre issue, its a cell phone issue. Its like when someone calls you, you JUST miss it, you call back and 9 out of 10 times, it'll go straight to voicemail.
    Thanks. Maybe you're right, but this is the first time I've ever had this to happen. I'm coming to Pre from a blackberry, and an HTC phone prior to that. It makes my wife really frustrated because I'll be on the phone with her, the call will drop, she'll call me back and it'll go to voicemail.
    Another one of these threads?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mfowler70 View Post
    Thanks. Maybe you're right, but this is the first time I've ever had this to happen. I'm coming to Pre from a blackberry, and an HTC phone prior to that. It makes my wife really frustrated because I'll be on the phone with her, the call will drop, she'll call me back and it'll go to voicemail.
    Hell, it could be CDMA related. I just thought and probably the majority of times i notice this is when I call my gf (previously on Verizon now on Sprint).

Its almost as if the phone channel is left open for 5-10 seconds after a call.
    As much as I love my Pre, and as much as I hate these threads in general, I have to say I also think the phone app requires a bit of work. The most frustrating thing for me is hanging up on a call: I expect that when I press the button to disconnect, that it will respond immediately. Instead, sometimes it takes multiple presses, and/or the button takes seconds to respond and therefore it's impossible to tell if the initial button press was registered.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Thats so weird. I swear to you guys, never had a single phone app issue like that.

I'll pay more attention to be sure.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The Takephone developer may not want to write a WebOS app. He certainly won't be able to port any of his exsiting code which he may have been able to do to some extent with the iPhone.
    But its ok to hope it happens....i remember he mentioned hoping to port his stuff to the Pre awhile ago but was waiting for the SDK.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    The animation may not be immediate, but why are you waiting for the animation to start talking??? as soon as you hit the answer key the phone is usbale...so that part of it really isn't an issue. Get useed to hitting answer and holding the phone to your ear, not waiting for some animation to complete....
    I use my phone quite a bit and yet I've never had a problem. The moment I unlock my Pre the phone is usable. Anyone who's waiting for the dialer app to load display is just wasting time. You can talk as soon as you unlock your phone.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast