Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1 View Post
    just have the Takephone developer code palms phone app....considering what he made the Treo/Centro phone app do.....this phone would truly rock....now he may not fix some lag but the added options would offset the lag (imop)

I see he has ported takephone to the iphone....so maybe its possible that webos gets takephone soon??? we could only hope.

i had emailed back and forth with Shimon (developer of takephone) back in june about his plans for webos - his repsonse was that he was waiting for palm to release the sdk, now that its been released, hes just waiting for the app store process he stated. definately looking forward to this being released as its been with me since my first treo days.
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1 View Post
    But its ok to hope it happens....i remember he mentioned hoping to port his stuff to the Pre awhile ago but was waiting for the SDK.
    It will be interesting to see what happens. However, its important to understand that he won't be able to port the existing application to the Pre. He will have to write a new app that hopefully offers similar functionality.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Port or totally new what ever happens as long as he gives it a GO then all is good.....if he cant get it to fly on webos then that will absolutely "bleep" .
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    Agree on all. The delay on the phone is annoying, but the delay on most of the OS is a bit frustrating as well. I guess we have gotten to the point of expecting everything IMMEDIATELY!

One of MY biggest gripes with the phone app, is that when you are on a call, with the slider open, and end the call, and slide the slider closed, it SHOULD assume the call is over!! and it does not, and various times I have kept a call enganged thinking that closing the slider terminated the call. Could be embarassing, yanno?

Thank you Mr so and so, your business is greatly appreciate (Close Slider) talk to friend, THAT *SSHOLE MR So and so.. (later that day email comes from Mr So and So, cancelling account
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    One of MY biggest gripes with the phone app, is that when you are on a call, with the slider open, and end the call, and slide the slider closed, it SHOULD assume the call is over!! and it does not, and various times I have kept a call enganged thinking that closing the slider terminated the call. Could be embarassing, yanno?
    See, now that's something I definitely would not want. If you think about it, then you could never close the slider and stay on a call. Like yesterday when I picked up the phone with the slider open to answer a call, and then wanted to close it and put it back on the TS so I could continue talking while I worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    See, now that's something I definitely would not want. If you think about it, then you could never close the slider and stay on a call. Like yesterday when I picked up the phone with the slider open to answer a call, and then wanted to close it and put it back on the TS so I could continue talking while I worked.

I second that--it would be real pain for how i use the pre, particularly in the car, if closing the slider hung up. I suppose it is one of those many, "if you put it as an option in some menu, that would be OK" features. But that is a slippery slope to an overly cluttered UI.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    The animation may not be immediate, but why are you waiting for the animation to start talking??? as soon as you hit the answer key the phone is usbale...so that part of it really isn't an issue. Get useed to hitting answer and holding the phone to your ear, not waiting for some animation to complete....
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I use my phone quite a bit and yet I've never had a problem. The moment I unlock my Pre the phone is usable. Anyone who's waiting for the dialer app to load display is just wasting time. You can talk as soon as you unlock your phone.
    This is pretty much how I've been doing it. I dont' wait for the animation when I pull my phone off of my touchstone to answer a call, or when I slide the ball to answer. Even though the animation isn't finished the phone's proximity sensor works right away and shuts off the screen even if the phone animation hasn't finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    Even though the animation isn't finished the phone's proximity sensor works right away and shuts off the screen even if the phone animation hasn't finished.
    Actually, that's not always the case.

I just had two calls today where I finished talking with the person/finished leaving them a voicemail, and then pulled the Pre away from my face to find....the contact card for who I was calling.

Then, I see the notification for "Phone Call with XXX" at the bottom, tap it to get back to a screen where I can end the call, and wait NO LESS THAN EIGHT SECONDS each time as the phone app card slowly animates in with a choppy framerate that reminds of when I tried to play Quake 3 Arena on an Nvidia TNT16 video card way back in the day.

This isn't the first time this has happened. So, basically, I've had to get used to remaining dead silent after I finish a call and waiting several seconds to make sure the call is actually finished.

The phone app on the Pre absolutely sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    As much as I love my Pre, and as much as I hate these threads in general, I have to say I also think the phone app requires a bit of work. The most frustrating thing for me is hanging up on a call: I expect that when I press the button to disconnect, that it will respond immediately. Instead, sometimes it takes multiple presses, and/or the button takes seconds to respond and therefore it's impossible to tell if the initial button press was registered.
    THIS.

And, it frequently registers the first hangup (i.e. the bar lights) and it doesn't hang up.
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    This is pretty much how I've been doing it. I dont' wait for the animation when I pull my phone off of my touchstone to answer a call, or when I slide the ball to answer. Even though the animation isn't finished the phone's proximity sensor works right away and shuts off the screen even if the phone animation hasn't finished.
    This is what I do as well. The answering seems to work fine for me.

It is the hanging up where I have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    So, basically, I've had to get used to remaining dead silent after I finish a call and waiting several seconds to make sure the call is actually finished.
    Yes..
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    I did the same thing a few times and initially thought the same thing.

But I've reconsidered that thought - it shouldn't hang up when the slider position is changed because you might be using different apps. For example, you make a call with slider closed and then need some info for the caller so you open the slider and type to search. Then when you are done you close the slider.

I think they got it right by not trying to guess what slider movement should mean. Instead - you just have to push the hangup button.
    Who cares about slow animations really
    the problem with the phone app lies in the sluggish scrolling at times
    and the embarrasing lack of detail in the call/contact log
    i should be able to easily pull of a log of all calls for a contact/number
    calls should have time logs etc...these are the issues, not how fast the animation comes up.
    calls should have time logs etc...these are the issues, not how fast the animation comes up.
    Uh, it matters if you're on a contact screen and trying to get back to the phone app ASAP.

I mean, all of it matters. And right now, most of it sucks HARD on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I would love TakePhone on this phone. The TakePhone app made a great search system
    that worked.Plus how everything was integrated while using the phone app with ease.
    Perhaps my favorite app on the Treo.
    I agree that the call log sux, but I don't have ANY of these other answer/end a call issues that you guys are talking about. My only issue is operator error when I regularly try to drag the green button to answer a call, when the phone isn't actually locked and I really only need to touch it.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Problems with Phone.app

- Slow to bring up app to answer call
    - Lag between "answer call" command and both callers actually able to talk
    - Speed Dial doesn't always work. (Hold down the button... nothin...)
    - Slow Dial Icon. Click once, nothing Click again. Green-Red-Green and you just hung up on him
    - Call Log sucks
    - Slow return to keypad screen (You end up missing the number prompts at banks)
    - Missed Call notification icon instantly dials when you click to find more info on caller
    - Odd flaw where the phone works perfectly ONLY for those who are apologists
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Problems with Phone.app

- Slow to bring up app to answer call
    - Lag between "answer call" command and both callers actually able to talk
    - Speed Dial doesn't always work. (Hold down the button... nothin...)
    - Slow Dial Icon. Click once, nothing Click again. Green-Red-Green and you just hung up on him
    - Slow return to keypad screen (You end up missing the number prompts at banks)
    - Missed Call notification icon instantly dials when you click to find more info on caller
    - Odd flaw where the phone works perfectly ONLY for those who are apologists
    Oh, I also have that issue with the speed dial not working. That sux too.

And, not to worry, I was away from the forum for the weekend and came to realize that this place does almost nothing to enhance my ownership of the device. Rather than being a place to gather info and help others with the Pre, this forum is instead a place for a bunch of whiney, selfish, know-it-alls to complain, self-promote and attempt to raise their own pitiful self esteem.

I will probably just go back to reading articles like I used to do, and you'll have one less "Apologist" to get in the way of your whiney BS.
    Yet-another-dialer-design-flaw: Keypad disappears just as you need it.

After you dial, or if you use contacts the display changes to the icon view. The Default should be to GO TO KEYpad view!

1. Icon is a poor choice if voicemail answers. #1 skips the long msg for Sprint, Verspyzon, some others. IF you quickly tap the number icon the slow change misses the opportunity to skip.

2. Icon is a poor choice if a PBX answers "..press 2 for something you don't want, press 3 for a directory to people you don't know, press..."

3. Icon is a poor choice if instead of KEYs, you get the PRE's Add Call or RED Hang-up button. [ Is this fo Bizness drones to get a picture of whom they're talking to?]
    I find if you enable the Switch Applications advanced gesture under "Screen & Lock" then it's much faster switching between applications than going to the card view and waiting for the enlarge animation.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast