Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Not sure if this is old news or not, but here's an article I ran across. Guys, don't let your girls find out about this!

How to Set Up Google GPS Tracking on your Palm Pre! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog!
    Very nice find!

However, how does installing SSH affect battery life?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Installing SSH does not affect the battery life, only while you are using it.

Based on testing, having a web server on your phone doesn't really affect the battery life either since the lighttpd really runs in the background and uses very little memory.

I have been running a Wordpress blog, the GPS hack, Twitter GPS updates every hour, and WiFi tethering no problem with battery life. I think that's the beauty of linux system behind the Palm Pre, processes don't really consume much more battery since they are dormant when not in use.

Of course, if they are constantly being used, it might be a different story.

I hope that helps and get more hacks on your Palm Pre!!!
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Hey guys,

I just got done making my Palm Pre update its GPS location to Twitter.

This is a better method since you can track your Palm Pre at your desired set time intervals and keep a history of where your Palm Pre has been in the past.

You can also set Twitter to "private" so only you can see the updates.

See the latest blog post on the site.

Enjoy~
    I tried enabling this, but it seems like the GPS doesn't return any coordinates. I'm wondering if the GPS is truly on 100% of the time, or if it's because I'm indoors so there's no satellite fix. Anyone else have this trouble?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Try in different location, sometimes the Palm Pre has a hiccup depending on the location, I am still trying to figure it out but it should work.
    this is what all stalkers need for the gf's lol
    Quote Originally Posted by zedomax View Post
    Installing SSH does not affect the battery life, only while you are using it.

Based on testing, having a web server on your phone doesn't really affect the battery life either since the lighttpd really runs in the background and uses very little memory.

I have been running a Wordpress blog, the GPS hack, Twitter GPS updates every hour, and WiFi tethering no problem with battery life. I think that's the beauty of linux system behind the Palm Pre, processes don't really consume much more battery since they are dormant when not in use.

Of course, if they are constantly being used, it might be a different story.

I hope that helps and get more hacks on your Palm Pre!!!
    Thanks for the info!

I don't have a Pre yet cause I live outside US and waiting for unlocked GSM Pre.

Trying to gather all useful info in anticipation to start using the device from day 1.

It's a looong wait as I've been waiting for it since its announcement back in January
    Try in different location, sometimes the Palm Pre has a hiccup depending on the location, I am still trying to figure it out but it should work.
    I was using the script off webos-internals.org to e-mail the coordinates periodically. Seems like the problem is how the script is called. If I run it manually from the command line via sudo, it will work, but if I try to cron it, it returns no values. Weird.

ETA: Patch webOS GPS Tracking - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Are you talking about the cron listed in the GPS guide?

you should make sure the cron works first by logging it.

the code:

*/5 * * * * /home/scripts/track.sh

probably won't work?

It took me like 5 hours to realize that the cron jobs require exact paths and the command itself to make them run, unlike other linux systems.

Try something like this:

*/5 * * * * /bin/sh /home/scripts/track.sh

and try logging it like this:
    */5 * * * * /bin/sh /home/scripts/track.sh > /mydir/log.txt where mydir is your directory.

I think things have been changing in the WebOS and stuff that worked in the past might have not been updated...

But if the command works in command line, it SHOULD work in cron so long as cron jobs are set up right, again, it took me like 5 hours to get the cron jobs running correctly. hope that helps.
    Check out http://PalmPre-Hacks.com where I document every hack I do on my Palm Pre.
    I tried both crond's. The Palm one keeps overwriting the crontab every time it reboots, and the optware one apparently won't work when the phone goes to sleep, according to webos-internals.org (although I haven't tested that). The script will actually run under at least the optware crond, but it returns null results. The email I receive looks like this:

Mon Aug 24 09:51:02 EDT 2009 Battery:66 Accuracy: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%2C+(Heading:%20%0DSpeed:%20)

If I run the script manually, the output is populated with the correct data. Frankly, I'm puzzled. I can't imaging why results under crond are different than running manually when running it as the same user. I'm going to try adding a path to sh to the crontab (per your post) and see if that helps, although the script specifies the shell in the first line.

*Yes, I know this is probably the wrong forum for this, but there's no discussion happening on webos-internals.org.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Also make sure your script is "root:root" for permissions...
    Check out http://PalmPre-Hacks.com where I document every hack I do on my Palm Pre.
    Also make sure your script is "root:root" for permissions...
    Yep, done that. Also chmod 777 just for grins. It has to be something with crond. I'm assuming I've configured either (or both) wrong in some way, although there isn't much to configure. The documentation on webos-internals is not as clear as I'd like (referencing the problems regarding overwrites and installing a new crontab, etc.)
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Try the steps I used here, which is pretty much based on the webos-internals:

How to Tweet Palm Pre’s GPS Location to Your Twitter! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog!

It did take me a long time too, I tried every method on WebOS until I got it working.

I am getting something like that too.

Sometime command line doesn't work while my cron job works flawlessly for Twittering the GPS location.

Not sure why, it could be something to do with Palm Pre's screen shutting off during the sleep mode...
    Ok, I went back through and re-did the crond setup again. I'm 99% positive it's identical to what I've already done, but it seems to be working now. Although the URL is getting truncated now, so there's no speed and heading, but I can live with that. If I can't solve it, I can always trim the lat/long down to five decimal places or something.
    A couple things. First, nice and concise directions for the webserver tracking version, very nice. Also nice job on the cron version for twitter/e-mail, you did it the same way I got it working.

That leads to my second thing. The biggest problem I've had with the GPS tracking hacks is what happens when the pre gets no GPS signal: it gives the coordinates of the nearest cell tower. Using the e-mail/cron version, this was ok, because I could tell immediately if that happened, because it would list the accuracy as 2000+ feet. If it had a real GPS signal, the accuracy was always good, 10 to 30 feet. So, I tried to modify your track.php file to just display the accuracy number on the webpage, but I couldn't get it to work. You think there's any way you could try and get that accuracy number, like what you get from the webosinternals mod, to show up in that track.php webpage from the pre?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Hmmm... I've been a little sick over here but I will probably refine the GPS tracking so it works better, I will definitely be working on it but it seems to be working fine for me but it may be because I get pretty good signals here in SF Bay Area. You can track me @trackmypalmpre, no bad GPS pings for last couple days so... I will try it when I get no signal though, I will have to go to a dead zone.
    Are you talking about the cron listed in the GPS guide?

you should make sure the cron works first by logging it.

the code:

*/5 * * * * /home/scripts/track.sh

probably won't work?

It took me like 5 hours to realize that the cron jobs require exact paths and the command itself to make them run, unlike other linux systems.

Try something like this:

*/5 * * * * /bin/sh /home/scripts/track.sh

and try logging it like this:
    */5 * * * * /bin/sh /home/scripts/track.sh > /mydir/log.txt where mydir is your directory.

I think things have been changing in the WebOS and stuff that worked in the past might have not been updated...

But if the command works in command line, it SHOULD work in cron so long as cron jobs are set up right, again, it took me like 5 hours to get the cron jobs running correctly. hope that helps.
    Sounds like you've munged your $PATH variable somehow. Mine works fine. You can the path back to the variable, and then you won't have to define full path in the cron job.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    This is awesome, but after installing it and making the webserver run on startup it made my pre take 5 minutes to start and would be extremely slow after that. Any ideas on how to fix this?
    Hmmm... I've been a little sick over here but I will probably refine the GPS tracking so it works better, I will definitely be working on it but it seems to be working fine for me but it may be because I get pretty good signals here in SF Bay Area. You can track me @trackmypalmpre, no bad GPS pings for last couple days so... I will try it when I get no signal though, I will have to go to a dead zone.
    Yeah, it's really just when the phone is far interior of a building and can't acquire GPS satellites to get a fix, it gives the location as being the nearest cell tower, with an accuracy number in the thousands. The "GPS Tracking" patch page on webosinternals has it so the phone can send that accuracy number in an e-mail just fine, I just couldn't get that accuracy number to com through the php and be displayed on the website. It shouldn't be too difficult, I'm just missing some syntax somewhere or something.

Really, it would be perfect if it would just get and show these variables below the map, as is (these being the same variables as the webosinternals GPS Tracking script):

lat=$(echo $pos | cut -d, -f1)
    lon=$(echo $pos | cut -d, -f2)
    acc=$(echo $pos | cut -d, -f3)
    dir=$(echo $pos | cut -d, -f4)
    spd=$(echo $pos | cut -d, -f5)
    bat=$(grep BATTERY: /var/log/messages | tail -1 | awk '{print $8}' | sed 's/%,//')

But thanks for your work on this, it works great.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast