Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I update the script at webOS GPS Tracking

I modified the original script because the Google URL being sent was getting truncated on my phone and a few other people's phone.

I did some testing and it looks like when you use sendMessageFromCompose, you are limited to a message with less than 136 characters. I shortened the message and added :
    -at the beginning of the script, turn on GPS if it is off
    -at the beginning of the script, turn on Location Services if it is off
    -at the end of the script, turn GPS back off, if it was off when the script started
    -at the end of the script, turn Location Services back off, if it was off when the script started
    -added altitude and altitude accuracy information
    One more change.

I thought I would like the script sending me a message every 10 minutes. It is neat when you are on a road trip, but most of the time the phone is not changing locations.

So I modified the script and added:
    - the ability to only send the message if GPS coordinates have changed since the last run.
    - the ability to send a message on the hour even if GPS coordinates have not changed

Now I am not sending out a ton of message overnight when my Pre is sitting on the nightstand next to the bed or when I am at my desk at work. I only get one per hour, on the hour during those times.
    I'd like to work out a way to get the cron jobs running when the phone is asleep. As it is, they tend to queue up until I activate the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Awesome View Post
    I'd like to work out a way to get the cron jobs running when the phone is asleep. As it is, they tend to queue up until I activate the phone.
    Just bumping this. Sounds like I'm the only one having trouble with crond. What crond setup instructions did you use that you aren't having the same problem that I am?

On webos-internals, there are two options, the stock crond or the Optware crond. They each have an issue:

(quotes from wiki)
    Standard:
    Note for clarification: I attempted this and it all works OK, but I can't figure out how to actually schedule jobs. I modified /etc/cron/crontabs/root, but nothing seems to happen. I also tried crontab -e, and that doesn't seem to do anything either. I suggest adding a note here clarifying what needs to be done to actually add a cron job. -irwinr
    Optware:
    This does not seem to work when the phone's screen turns off.
    I'm currently using Optware.
    Hello,

Ive been able to setup lighttpd on my pre and the server is running. But i keep getting a 500 - internal server error when trying to open a php file. Any ideas where I could be going wrong or what im missing?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I followed the instructions from the link in the first post, and I cant even ping my pre!!!!
    any ideas??
    Quote Originally Posted by agidius View Post
    I followed the instructions from the link in the first post, and I cant even ping my pre!!!!
    any ideas??
    just because ssh and httpd is enabled doesn't mean a device will respond to a ping.
    Quote Originally Posted by spex2004 View Post
    Hello,

Ive been able to setup lighttpd on my pre and the server is running. But i keep getting a 500 - internal server error when trying to open a php file. Any ideas where I could be going wrong or what im missing?

Thanks!
    Anyone have any suggestions on this? I have uncommented the mod_fastcgi in the ini file as well but I'm still getting this error.

Below is my error log:

Code:
    2009-09-15 13:25:46: (mod_fastcgi.c.1742) connect failed: Connection refused on unix:/tmp/php-fcgi.sock-0 
    2009-09-15 13:25:46: (mod_fastcgi.c.2943) backend died; we'll disable it for 5 seconds and send the request to another backend instead: reconnects: 0 load: 1 
    2009-09-15 13:25:46: (mod_fastcgi.c.2709) child signaled: 11 
    2009-09-15 13:25:48: (mod_fastcgi.c.2481) unexpected end-of-file (perhaps the fastcgi process died): pid: 2240 socket: unix:/tmp/php-fcgi.sock-0 
    2009-09-15 13:25:48: (mod_fastcgi.c.3256) child signaled: 11 
    2009-09-15 13:25:48: (mod_fastcgi.c.3299) response not received, request sent: 838 on socket: unix:/tmp/php-fcgi.sock-0 for /track.php , closing connection
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Awesome View Post
    What crond setup instructions did you use that you aren't having the same problem that I am?
    I was having that problem too. As the commenter on webos-internals noted, the first method deletes the cron directory every time webOS is started. The second method does not (because it uses a different location) but it cannot wake on its own. So what I did was use the first method, but change the crontab location to that of the second method. Thus my cron wakes when cron goes of (well the screen doesn't come on, but the cronjob runs) and it does not break when I restart the OS.

The specific change I made to method 1 was:

change
    Code:
    ln -sf /etc/cron/crontabs/root /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
    to
    Code:
    ln -sf /opt/etc/cron.d/root /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
    Greeting all -- sorry to kick up the embers of this topic but I lost my first Pre last Thursday... and when my replacement arrived on Monday, I decided it was time to get proactive about not losing another few hundred dollars of technology to the mean streets of Seattle.

I'm no Linux whiz, but I've got by just fine so far rooting into my Pre, installing Optware, etc. I've also managed to successfully setup SSH and a dynamic DNS for my Pre, and rounded things out by following the instructions listed in the first post on this thread, and am now able to see the GPS location of my Pre by accessing the PHP script running on my phone's webserver. Fantastic.

But... I do have a couple of questions/concerns however. In no particular order:

1. If the phone is in sleep mode, it appears as though the request from my webbrowser to activate the php script goes unanswered -- the page refuses to load. After SSHing into the Pre successfully, I see the system bouncing between awake and sleep modes. So, if I connect through Terminal to the Pre, the webpage will load up within a matter of seconds. So from my end it looks like I still need to SSH into the Pre for this script to work, if for nothing else than to set the system to awake long enough for the script to run... or am I missing something? If my description is actually the case, perhaps this isn't as seamless a solution as I had hoped...

2. In browsing through this thread, there seems to be quite a bit of conversation about how this php script could be tweaked and improved... but very little documentation about what the finalized script would actually look like in its entirety. I'm not savvy enough to sort out the whole puzzle, and was wondering if folks such as pullbangdead/sOOpcan, etc., would be willing to post their finished/polished scripts up so that the uninitiated could see the product. Of particular note, how to report the specific variables such as velocity, altitude, battery levels, etc.

3. Finally, I'm beginning to wonder if the php webpage script method shouldn't be replaced by utilizing the script mentioned over at webOS-internals (Patch webOS GPS Tracking - WebOS Internals), the last script listed, as that particular script appears to be able to report a lost/stolen phone's location, even if some nefarious individual has turned of the GPS in Location Services. However, I am wondering if there is some way these two methods could be blended, making a hybrid script -- a cron job that'd post the most recent information to a Googlemap, versus emailing the details out to an account. I have ZERO understanding or idea as to if/how that could be accomplished... but I love the idea of being able to access/see all that information by simply browsing to a webpage.

Sorry for the long post... Again, I'm extremely appreciative to all the folks here who've already contributed and made my Pre experience better than I could have imagined. If anyone wants to take a stab at these questions, I'd welcome it!

Thanks again,

B
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadblo View Post
    ... to wonder if the php webpage script method shouldn't be replaced by utilizing the script mentioned over at webOS-internals (Patch webOS GPS Tracking - WebOS Internals), the last script listed, as that particular script appears to be able to report a lost/stolen phone's location, even if some nefarious individual has turned of the GPS in Location Services...
    I have been looking at doing this.
    - modify the above referenced script so it does a "wput" to a server somewhere
    - the server puts the data in a MySQL database
    - Web pages displays data from database (based on a data range)

I think I could use the code at Using PHP/MySQL with Google Maps - Google Maps API - Google Code
    to get things started. Does anyone want to try it with me?

F
    I tried to set this up but unintentionally installe mysql also. I only needed Lighttpd instead. How do you uninstall mysql?
    To get the battery %, why not use:
    Code:
    $batt = `cat /sys/devices/w1_bus_master1/32-0008408fc529/getpercent`;
    I believe the 32-0008408fc529 will be different for each device but it seems easier then searching through a huge file with every request.
    Does this hack still work for 1.4.5?
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Yes, I'm still using it with 1.4.5.
    Looks really difficult lol.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    im a couple years late to this thread here but does this still work ?
    Hi yeskaa,

If you are using a version of webOS that is 1.4.5 or earlier it should still work. But I don't believe it still works with webOS 2.xx and later versions.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123