Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My Pre gets hot after I use the camera. I can close the card and all other cards and my phone will still get hot. I have to take out the battery and then put it back in turn back on the phone and then all is ok. Does anyone else seem to have a problem with their phones getting hot? I know it will get warm but hot is something totally different, especially when there are no apps open.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    You're Pre gets hot because you're not giving her what she wants. So give it to her.
    Quote Originally Posted by desertmoon62 View Post
    My Pre gets hot after I use the camera. I can close the card and all other cards and my phone will still get hot. I have to take out the battery and then put it back in turn back on the phone and then all is ok. Does anyone else seem to have a problem with their phones getting hot? I know it will get warm but hot is something totally different, especially when there are no apps open.
    My Pre actually gets pretty effin hot whenever I'm talking on it and it's charging. Usually if I'm using the phone without it charging I have no issues.. But doing anything for an extended period of time while I have it hooked up to the charger just heats the sucker up like crazy.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Yeah pretty much my Pre heats up all the time. I just get over it then wait for it to cool down before i do anything.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I got the Pre the first day it came out. That first Pre I had had the same problems you guys are talking about. Got really hot while charging and when using the phone. I brought it back to sprint and they replaced it for me. The new one I got doesn't have any of the overheating issues the one before it did. Plus the battery lasts longer too. I think there were some hardware problems with the first ones that were rolled out. You might want to bring yours back to Sprint and see if they'll replace it.
  6. 8er
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    It gets quite warm, the GPS navigation seems worst
    normal i think, as i can recall the iphone was the same...so is my Pre now..it gets warm.
    So far the only definitive explanation I have read someone discovered in their case was a large email was trying to download to the pre and it got stuck and it kept trying to redownload it constantly running the cpu and radio making the pre get hot. So with this in mind it is my theory that something may get stuck in a loop and contstantly run the cpu and/or radio and the pre gets hot. Also pausing pandora over EVDO appears to trigger this same situation as long as it remains open and paused. As restart wshould clear any stuck in a lopp thing if all cards are closed. In the case of a problematic email message it may be needed to check that message with a pc if it continues after a restart.
    My pre starting getting hot when charging after I used the car adapter. The phone is fine during regular use but when chargering its scourching. Funny someone mentioned the GPS issue because when it gets hot the GPS goes out of wack.
    My Pre BURNS in low-signal areas. ALso gets hot whilst using GPS, Wifi, and EVDO and of course on the puck.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I'm in an area with a really good signal, but the minute the bars start going down inside of a building it heats up. I figure just wait till winter and it will be like a warm pebble.
    I am on my second Pre and both get hot! I've tried turning off my IM, (Which eliminates one of the key features). I've also reduce my email sync's to every 15 minutes (another feature gone). Still gets hot during any use...games, GPS, phone calls, Pandora, etc... If this problem is pandemic, why don't we hear from the great Palm support team? I'm about ready to go back to my Blackberry!
    There appears to be an unknown but specific thing that causes a handful of people's pres to get hot. The only know causes I have read about so far are a bad email getting stuck and the pre keeps trying to download it (may have a big attachment or other thing that makes the email get stuck) and pausing pandora while using the sprint data rather than wifi (radio in constant over use from the pause an issue with how pandora service functions). Without more details for each individuals case it won't be possible to identify the cause but so far all indicators point to over taxed radios and cpu from service related errors.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm checking these issues. I wonder if Palm is aware of these and working on a fix.
    What computer chip dosen't?
    Quote Originally Posted by YBCold View Post
    What computer chip dosen't?
    Really all depends on what the chip does but I personally have experienced an obvious too much heat senario on my pre anlong with many others related to pandora over data network in a paused state making the pre very hot. In normal conditions the pre should only get slightly warm and moderately warm with prolonged calls or intensive apps like pandora and music/video playback.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    We have a cool toy at work now, a thermal imager. During normal stand by operation my Pre gets warm to the touch but not hot:

palm

(I can't attach photos so please click the link to my website)

That will give you an idea of the actual temps. Skin temp is in the mid to low 80°F range so you can see why (and where) the Pre feels warm. I will take another shot next time it feels hot. I'm gonna guess it's about 120°F or so.
    Cheers,

Peaty
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    OK here are a few shots where it's hot! Keep in mind about 130°F is scalding for water
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,

Peaty
    So if we have the overheating problem, Sprint will replace the phone for us?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    First you'd have to convince them It's a problem I suppose.
    Cheers,

Peaty
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast