Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    I recently purchased a Seidio 1350 mAh battery. Like the stock battery (Which also benefits from being conditioned) I'm looking for a way to completely cycle this battery in order to get better battery life. There are many reports of the battery life being poor until about 5 cycles with it.

Is it safe to run programs (Pandora, GPS, etc.) and having services like Bluetooth enabled in order to chew the battery down quicker and then charge it fully, in order to cycle this faster?

Or is it necessary to have the phone drain with normal use and then recharge?

Is there a way one of the homebrewers can write an app that just has bad code which runs the CPU and screen at full throttle and drains the battery faster so that we can "break-in" the battery and make subsequent battery life better, or is what I'm saying complete nonsense lol?
    Let the battery drain until it turns it self off. (doesn't matter if you drain it quickley) then charge it to 100%. Turn it off then plug it back in and let it charge for 10 minutes. Then turn it off again and charge it for another 10 minutes. Now not only will the battery be much more conditioned but it will be truly charged 100% which makes the battery preform much better. If you do this evey month it will give you almost another hour or so on the original hourage.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by romanmb View Post
    I'm looking for a way to completely cycle this battery in order to get better battery life. There are many reports of the battery life being poor until about 5 cycles with it.
    The fastest way to "condition" (your word) a lithium-ion battery is to not condition it - there's no such thing as conditioning with Li-ON batteries. Go to Battery University, read up, and join the ranks of informed people who dispel these urban legends and falsehoods about battery care..

Quote Originally Posted by Battery University
    Unlike nickel and lead-based batteries, a new lithium-ion pack does not need cycling through charging and discharging. Priming will make little difference because the maximum capacity of lithium-ion is available right from the beginning. Neither does a full discharge improve the capacity of a faded pack. However, a full discharge/charge will reset the digital circuit of a 'smart' battery to improve the state-of-charge estimation
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    what do you mean, turn it off and plug it back in?

Turn the phone off by manually pressing the power button? Or let it drain completely and then plug it in for 10 min?

Thanks for the quick response!
    what do you mean, turn it off and plug it back in?

Turn the phone off by manually pressing the power button? Or let it drain completely and then plug it in for 10 min?

Thanks for the quick response!
    Did you just completely ignore the advice given to you right above your post, or did you post it before seeing the other response being that they were so close in time?

Go to Battery University.....get in the know! You will be a happier person in the long run!

Cheers!

Robert
    I likey take apart thingies....
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    Did you just completely ignore the advice given to you right above your post, or did you post it before seeing the other response being that they were so close in time?
    I ignored it intentionally because I knew you'd see it and get your panties in a bunch
    I ignored it intentionally because I knew you'd see it and get your panties in a bunch
    Yeah?????? Yeah??????? Well I've got one more post than you...so BOOYAH! (Actually 2 now)

Just kidding....I was being sarcastic and a S M A R T A S S....

It was funny that you posted that post just mere moments after the RIGHT answer came down the pike!

BTW---You Have My Thanks For The Panties In A Bunch Comment
    I likey take apart thingies....
    Yes, Li-ion batteries do not need conditioning, from the battery chemistry standpoint. But many people, myself included, benefited from letting the pre drain its battery until it cut itself off.

No, this doesn't make any sense as far as conditioning the battery itself. But it quite possibly does make sense as far as conditioning the battery control circuitry in the pre, as in resetting the circuitry that controls battery discharge, or the "% remaining" circuitry.
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post

Go to Battery University.....get in the know! You will be a happier person in the long run!

Cheers!

Robert
    that does not address passivation, which according to battery university would mean that the OP SHOULD do a few complete discharge cycles. while I understand that li ion has no memory, I thought that passivation during storage was still a problem, thus 3 full cycles are needed when using a new, and or presumably with a stored battery. you won't damage it by not fully charging as with nicad or nimh but you theoretically may not have the battery's full potential.

I believe that is why amzer recommends 3 full cycles for optimal life.

http://www.fommy.com/view-full-page....model=Palm+Pre
    Last edited by windzilla; 08/22/2009 at 10:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    that does not address passivation, which according to battery university would mean that the OP SHOULD do a few complete discharge cycles. while I understand that li ion has no memory, I thought that passivation during storage was still a problem, thus 3 full cycles are needed when using a new, and or presumably with a stored battery.
    Passivation during storage is a desirable effect as it prevents rapid discharge of a battery that's not under a load. Passivation has no effect on a device like a phone. Passivation causes a brief (i.e. micro to milliseconds duration) under-voltage of a battery when a load is applied. Passivation effects devices that require near-instantaneous, full voltage response from a battery (rocket motor starters, missile guidance packages, nuclear triggers). Wireless devices do not require this sort of instantaneous, full-voltage response. If they did, you would see your phone continually shutting off every time you did something to place a larger voltage load on the battery (backlight off-to-on, radio off-to-on, and the like).

Passivation has no impact on charging (ability/rate) or overall battery capacity. It only slows battery discharge rate - which has the desirable side effect of increased overall battery life under reduced (generally off) load.

My guess is Amzer recommends three (battery-life reducing) full cycles because they used to recommend it (appropriately) for their Ni-Cad and Ni-MH batteries. Most cell phone documentation also still recommends an unnecessary 12+ hour initial charge on a new phone even though a Li-On battery is fully charged in 3-4 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post

Passivation has no impact on charging (ability/rate) or overall battery capacity. It only slows battery discharge rate - which has the desirable side effect of increased overall battery life under reduced (generally off) load.

My guess is Amzer recommends three (battery-life reducing) full cycles because they used to recommend it (appropriately) for their Ni-Cad and Ni-MH batteries. Most cell phone documentation also still recommends an unnecessary 12+ hour initial charge on a new phone even though a Li-On battery is fully charged in 3-4 hours.
    thanks for this, Amzer's site actually specifies li-ion batterys as the ones which need the multiple complete discharges, along with a deeper charge.

My understanding was that it can still be an issue, but I am no electrical engineer. In digging around with google translator, I found this on a battery manufacturers site.

here they refer specifically to li-ion. I guess i fall in the camp of it not being a terrible idea to do it twice, but then never again as long as you use it regularly, seeing as complete discharges can damage battery life as well.

from the
    Shenzhen Power Source Technology Co., Ltd.--Model batteries, Car batteries, gun battery mode, the battery model

Activation of cell phone batteries

The first time the use of mobile phone batteries need charging, when activated, this is very controversial issue.

In general, the battery factory, manufacturers have been activated to deal with, and a number of pre-filling into electricity. However, after the battery factory, while the short one month, six months longer to reach mobile phone users will do with. This time, because the battery electrode materials passivation, so manufacturers and distributors will normally recommend that users first use the battery to once again to "activate", that is 3-5 times to fully charge and discharge process to make it in the future the use of to achieve its best.

The so-called activation charge, that is, filling the deep deep place, that is completely run out of electricity, the charge for 12-16 hours. So for 3-5 times to ensure full activation of lithium-ion activity.

However, there is another point of view, there is no memory effect Li-ion, may not have activated, so more than a dozen hours of charging time is not practical significance. At present, the two diametrically opposed views of tit-for-tat, divided people.

On the other hand, would rather believe there is, its not credible, the new rechargeable battery to several long time, what is not and will not damage the battery.
    There are four lights.