View Poll Results: updates vs. more apps?

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • Updates

197 91.63%
  • more Apps

18 8.37%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    But at some point the Pre needs to catch up with the Treo 600 from 2003.
    I disagree--I love my Pre for internet access (which is very important to me, not just a "nice to have") and for the multitasking and the way notifications are handled, but in terms of PDA functionality, the Pre is light-years behind my Palm V from ummm.....1998 or whenever that was! (It was my first PDA, and I bought it on the day it was released). The Pre needs to catch up to 1998, let alone 2003!

And Sprint Navigation isn't as well-integrated into the PDA functions as my clunky iQue3600 in 2002 or thereabouts.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    Updates, updates, updates. Fix the broken PDA stuff first. I could not possibly care less about being able to take video clips or use visual voicemail. I do care very much about being able to find data on the phone quickly and simply, like when my next dentist appointment is, without having to know the exact date or where it's stored.
    Agreed. I laugh at the sheer number of "video recording" demands (and the like) I've read on the board. Seriously? That's what Palm needs to ad ASAP? The kicker is these are the same people who dismiss the iPhone as a mere toy for teenagers. Whatever!

I agree with you for sure, double. Palm does need to address the PDA functionality of the phone. I would like to be able to use the phone as a means to keep track of my daily obligations.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I want both!
    Now over 91% say to fix the basic functions. As our sample size increases, I expect that number will increase.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    I want both!
    Agreed,

But I also think as they fix the phone with more updates. The better the apps will get! So bring on the updates Palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyPre View Post
    Agreed,

But I also think as they fix the phone with more updates. The better the apps will get! So bring on the updates Palm!
    The thrid party developers working on apps and the people fixing the basic functionality of the Palm Pre are supposed to be two different groups. Outside developers for the most part will work on new apps.

The sad part is that the outside developers are also scrambling to fix the problems with the Pre's core functionality.

Check out what one person has done to fix the dozens of issues with the music player.

Look at what one person did to fix notification sounds.

At first we believed that the Pre could not do animated radar let alone full screen, but one pilot did.

Palm so far is not able to offer a calculator for the Pre that is as good as the one they included in the Treo six years ago but TheMarco did and so did another.

Look at the dozens of fixes from www.webos-internals.org.

Developers have already found great solutions to over 50 of the biggest problems with the Pre.

The Palm developers could include a dozen or two of these as options in the next webOS update and be instant heroes.

The only reason not include these fixes that are already done for them is ego. It is hard to admit that scattered groups, each with no more than a couple people, working in a vacuum can do faster and better work than the 980 paid professionals at Palm.

Accepting this public domain code is admitting that all these problems could have been fixed that easily from the start.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 08/24/2009 at 10:03 AM.
    Check out what one person has done to fix the dozens of issues with the music player.

Look at what one person did to fix notification sounds.

Palm couldn't figure out animated radar let alone full screen, but one pilot did.

Palm couldn't get how to make a calculator but TheMarco did.

- Craig
    I think you should distinguish between "couldn't figure out" and "didn't provide." For example, the calculator. I have no doubt that if Palm wanted to have their calculator be like theMarco's, they could have done so. RPN? Not likely to have been a big problem. They made a decision about the functionality to include based on what they perceived their audience to be. There is a stream of thought that says simple is better. Many people buying consumer electronics would agree.

I'm certain that there were also some resource limitations. Remember that the standard for what Palm includes in their software is higher than the standard for what 3rd party developers provide in the App Catalog, which is much higher again than the standard for what is available via homebrew. So it takes Palm a lot more resources to accomplish the same thing (though in theory their product should be higher quality as a result). The first 90% of software is easy--it's the last 10% that causes all the difficulty.

Finally, I'd like to add that I'm shocked at the overwhelming response in this poll. I am also in the "updates" camp. I think if we didn't have homebrew and couldn't see a light at the end of the tunnel for the App Catalog, we might all feel differently (and I would say that we did feel differently about 2 months ago).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I think you should distinguish between "couldn't figure out" and "didn't provide." For example, the calculator. I have no doubt that if Palm wanted to have their calculator be like theMarco's, they could have done so.
    I clarified it to say:
    Palm so far is not able to offer a calculator for the Pre that is as good as the one they included in the Treo six years ago but TheMarco did and so did another.

I'm certain that there were also some resource limitations. Remember that the standard for what Palm includes in their software is higher than the standard for what 3rd party developers provide in the App Catalog, which is much higher again than the standard for what is available via Homebrew. So it takes Palm a lot more resources to accomplish the same thing (though in theory their product should be higher quality as a result).
    Yes, Palm should have materials at a higher quality than the Homebrews. The point is that Palm's work in so many areas is barely functional. Websters defines "quality" in this usage as the "degree of excellence".

Palm is struggling to match even the basic quality apps from 2003. Once they can catch up to the Treo 600, then they can work towards a "degree of excellence" beyond 2003. You can't release a 2009 that is not to the degree of excellence of your 2003 model.
    The first 90% of software is easy--it's the last 10% that causes all the difficulty.
    Palm does not have to finish their basic functions themselves. Users are begging them to take the ideas that the they have already done for them.

But the first step to solve a problem is to admit you have one.

Palm needs an intervention.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 08/24/2009 at 10:29 AM.
    As the sample size grows the percent asking to just fix is increasing. Almost to hit 92% now.

- Craig
    It's now hovering back at 91.5% who are asking to fix the Pre first.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 08/24/2009 at 07:13 PM.
    Let's see if we can get at least 200 votes...

- Craig
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I voted updates, because I agree that basic fuctionality is critical. That said, I really want some good apps. Some of the best were 3rd. party and were made for the Treo and Centro. Audible is first for me, followed by a version of CallRec - a voice memo recorder, which also could record incoming and outgoing calls, (really miss that ability), I'd like Voice Dialing to come via an webOS update from Palm - voice dialing should be made mandatory for all phones, imo. ;-) Text message save/forward, and the ability to add custom alerts tones for ALL contacts, (even for individual texts) should also be OS updates. ...and I'm I the only one who would like "Talking Caller I.D."? (where the name and number is spoken aloud, via simple text to speech, instead of playing some annoying ring tone.

There are many more, but these are the most important to me. ;-)

Here's hoping we get both! ...soon.
    Last edited by ToddK; 08/25/2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: basic grammer!
    Just one update. Stop blasting my text message/email/notification tone in my ear when I'm on a phone call!!!
    This is a false dichotomy. It desperately needs both, and there's no reason it can't have both. The updates need to come from Palm, ASAP, to change this from a beta release to a real, working and complete OS. The apps need to come mostly from 3rd party developers.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    The Palm needs ad update to fix the memory partitioning so we can install more apps. Without the fix, more apps will simply not matter because no one will be able to fit them on thier phones.

Fix first - apps later.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Let's see if we can get at least 200 votes...

- Craig
    Yes, then you can take your 200 votes and send them to Palm (or Jim Cramer) and tell them that's it's all settled and definitive.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The updates need to come from Palm, ASAP, to change this from a beta release to a real, working and complete OS.
    I kinda wish we were beta testers because at least Beta testers get nightly/weekly builds. There are many tiny nagging issues that shouldve been ironed out by now but instead we have to just make excuses for why sluggishness or.

As for apps, if what we seen is any indication of what we should expect from future apps then I'm in no rush. I have this other phone that seems to handle my app needs.
    Updates please.
    Definitely updates ... Forwarding of texts, voice dialing, ... updates please!
    Oh - forgot. Home Brew apps are rocking. Great to see such creativity.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast