1.    #1  
    The phone function no longer works. I can call out and receive calls but I can't hear a thing and no one can hear me. The screen no longer goes black when I put my face to it during a call. I can send texts and the internet works fine. I just can't call it a phone anymore. My warranty is voided due to water damage so I think my time with the Pre may be coming to an end unless they take pity on me and exchange the phone. Yes I have done hard resets and soft resets and that hasn't helped. Anybody have an idea why this may be happening or possible fixes?
  2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Install linux problem solved.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post

root the phone?
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I might be slow, but COULD it be the water damage.
  5.    #5  
    Possibly but that was almost two months ago and it has worked fine ever since.
    Sounds like the problem where your phone thinks you have headphones plugged. Thats why you can't hear anything and why the screen doesn't go dark anymore. Trying taking a pair of headphones and plugging them in and out several times. See if that solves it for you.
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Oh, do try a reset.

Device Info > Reset Options > Restart

- or -

On the keyboard, press Orange + Sym + R
  8.    #8  
    Sounds like the problem where your phone thinks you have headphones plugged. Thats why you can't hear anything and why the screen doesn't go dark anymore. Trying taking a pair of headphones and plugging them in and out several times. See if that solves it for you.

This could be the issue. I did have the phone hooked into a stereo to stream music. I will try that. Thanks a lot.
    Oh, do try a reset.

Device Info > Reset Options > Restart

- or -

On the keyboard, press Orange + Sym + R
    I'm sorry, I don't usually do this, but did you even read the OP?

He said he's tried multiple resets with no luck....

I say try the headphone thing, see if that works
  10. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug30 View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't usually do this, but did you even read the OP?

He said he's tried multiple resets with no luck....

I say try the headphone thing, see if that works
    And you should refrain in the future.
  11.    #11  
    Problem solved. Thanks Peteman100. I would have never thought to check that.
    Please note that OP also states he has water damage. Thus, we are all in a new realm. Most of us have damaged our phone with water. The closest I recall is the reviewer who was in a down-poor and later sealed dried their Pre. I don't recall all of the steps the reviewer took or even the thread that linked to the reviewer, but the reviewer was reviewing the iPod and Pre. It was the first that appeared to be based on real usage and wasn't biased toward either phone.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    that same thing happened to my first pre... just take it back to where u bought it and explain what the situation is and they will replace it with no problem...

no sense in "trying to fix it" just swap it out so you wont have to dal with that prob again later down the line...
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Problem solved. Thanks Peteman100. I would have never thought to check that.
    Glad you were able to fix it and decided to try what others posted. Also props to your honesty!
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    WebOS = Linux more or less.
    same thing happened to me!!

Even if I have headphones in, I can hear, but people can't hear me.

Took it back to Sprint store, and they ordered me a new one.
    Hopefully its of the stronger/better build variety.
    i just tried the jiggle-rapid-insertion-of-head-phones technique, and tweeked it into working. But I can tell its only temporary.

When I took it in yesterday, the technician got it to work and sent me on my way.

Don't let them do this to you!

My guess is they're doin' the jiggle and hoping you don't come back. But its definitely only a temporary fix.