1.    #1  
    I live in a 1x area. No EVDO at all. Was told when buying the Pre we would be getting 3G later this year. Turns out we are getting 4G. CSR told me via chat that I would see a speed improvement in data due to the change.

How is this the case when the Pre isn't a 4G enabled phone. I thought 3G and 4G were totally different technologies. And I know I can't live with the Pre on 1X.
    Sorry, the Pre is not a 4G phone. It would be really cool if it was!

Maybe the rep meant since they were going to roll-out 4G in your area it was implied that 3G would be added as well.

So far Sprint only has 4G broadband cards, but no phones yet that take advantage of the 4G network.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boogaloo1 View Post
    Sorry, the Pre is not a 4G phone. It would be really cool if it was!

Maybe the rep meant since they were going to roll-out 4G in your area it was implied that 3G would be added as well.
    agreed ... maybe they plan on adding 3g aswell in the area.... 4g is only used on data cards so i dont understand why she would tell him that lol
    Csr reps know slighty more about phones than my dad. Who thinks the internets catch fish for long john silvers dinner rush.
    4G WiMAX towers come with 3G EVDO also, so you'll be getting 3G speeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsparc View Post
    4G WiMAX towers come with 3G EVDO also, so you'll be getting 3G speeds.
    Sorry, you couldn't be more wrong. Sprint 4g is really clearwire which Sprint owns 51% of. The 4g equipment works in a different freq. range, different equipment, different technology
    Is it possible the Pre will be updated to 4G?? That's a must for me
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    The pre will connect to the 4G network automatically. It's the pre. The latest smartphone on the market. It won't be left out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkartes View Post
    Sorry, you couldn't be more wrong. Sprint 4g is really clearwire which Sprint owns 51% of. The 4g equipment works in a different freq. range, different equipment, different technology
    Actually you couldn't be more wrong with your first statement. As sunsparc said, Sprint's new 4G towers will also have 3G EVDO radios on them. When the new 4G towers go in at the OP's location, he will benefit because it means the new towers will also have 3G EVDO broadcasting on them which will, in turn, be good for the OP's Pre.

Everything else you say in your post is true - it just had nothing to do with what sunsparc posted.

Quote Originally Posted by road_kill
    The pre will connect to the 4G network automatically. It's the pre. The latest smartphone on the market. It won't be left out.
    Yeah, right. The Pre's radio is made from magic.
  10.    #10  
    I am in one of the locations that Sprint will be taking advantage of Clearwire's 4G. I hope it comes true that those towers are equipped with Sprint's 3G radios as well. I really don't see the point of Sprint advertising their 4G service in phone ads when they don't have any 4G phones but that's another topic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Actually you couldn't be more wrong with your first statement. As sunsparc said, Sprint's new 4G towers will also have 3G EVDO radios on them. When the new 4G towers go in at the OP's location, he will benefit because it means the new towers will also have 3G EVDO broadcasting on them which will, in turn, be good for the OP's Pre.

Everything else you say in your post is true - it just had nothing to do with what sunsparc posted.

Yeah, right. The Pre's radio is made from magic.

Yeah, I work for Sprint so I must be wrong in all instances, even when the attempted correction has nothing to do with what I posted.

Thanks for clarifying all the nay sayers. It would be stupid for Sprint to erect WiMAX towers without EVDO.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsparc View Post
    Yeah, I work for Sprint so I must be wrong in all instances, even when the attempted correction has nothing to do with what I posted.

Thanks for clarifying all the nay sayers. It would be stupid for Sprint to erect WiMAX towers without EVDO.
    But what about the ones they aren't erecting but piggybacking off of Clearwire? Do those towers already have EVDO radios already that will work with Sprint?