Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    And that was a rhetorical question.

Well, I just tried playing the new game Bubble Pop and even though I had it plugged into my computer to charge it at the same time, it ran out of battery.

The stupid thing is so resource hungry for doing games because there isn't an API for the GPU that you can't even play a simple game like Bubble Pop without it going dead EVEN WITH IT ON THE CHARGER.

After about 10 minutes of playing the games, the thing was hot to the touch. Playing bubble pop. Are. You. Kidding Me?

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I've had mine for 6 weeks now and after playing games it does not seem to eat my battery much more than usual.
    Haven't had any battery issues personally, either gaming or normal use. I can usually go about 18 hours on a full charge before getting the 20% warning. A few calls, moderate texting, three push email accounts (2 Gmail, 1 Exchange), a POP account checking every 15 minutes, and Tweed checking every 5 minutes for updates. Not to mention whatever I'm doing on the internet or calendar.

Havn't trie bubble pop though yet. I've played Blackout a lot though for extended periods (I just can't seem to win at that darn thing) without my battery going noticeably lower. Haven't tried playing with it charging at the same time however, might make a difference but probably not.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    You hit it on the head. Without access to the gpu these games are going to tax the processor way too much and eat more battery than if they were using the gpu.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Normal use of the phone is fine. The problem is that gaming is killing the CPU and the battery because there isn't an API for the included GPU. So it stays useless and the CPU is working overtime and making the phone hot as well as sucking down the battery.

I've played several of the other "games" like breakout and though laggy, don't seem as bad (nor are they are animated) as Bubble Pop. Unless they significantly change the API to allow for REAL gaming, this thing will be limited to word games and "tiny graphic games". It's not using the hardware it's built on at near it's fullest potential.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Are you saying that Palm's sdk doesn't allow developers to access the gpu?
    That should go on to the list to send to palm!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    Unless they significantly change the API to allow for REAL gaming, this thing will be limited to word games and "tiny graphic games". It's not using the hardware it's built on at near it's fullest potential.
    Its in the works.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Its in the works.
    And where have you seen this. You would think so because they posted a job for a game developer, but i haven't seen anything confirming they were opening up an API to the GPU.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Its in the works.
    could you provide links or specifics to show that it is in the works?

Maybe this is game specific? Could it be bubble? I played Word Ace for like 2 hours yesterday and did not notice significant heat or battery drain... I have noticed with a few apps the battery drains super fast even once i close the app....maybe a battery leak?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Developers sounded the alarm on this issue weeks/months ago and either got ignored or were flamed and called trolls. I am actually glad to see that "reality" is giving some traction to these legitimate concerns. Specifically:

1) No driver for the GPU, so all rendering goes to the CPU. This results in heat generation and clobbers the battery.

2) Software rendering makes the general user interface sluggish and laggy. Never mind 3D games, this hurts the basic user experience.

3) Not only is #1 a fundamental problem, but there is no OpenGL API in the OS, so even if there were a driver for the GPU we couldn't talk to it. WebGL will not solve this problem -- it's going to be dependent on software OpenGL framworks in the OS.

4) The natural conclusion from 1-3 is that gaming will be weak on this platform. This includes 2D games. I think it will be this way for a minimum of 6 months, likely more.

5) the upshot of #4 is that I predict we'll be saddled by lame or trivial games for a while. In the meantime, the iPhone 3GS is rivaling or bettering dedicated gaming devices because the folks at Apple had the foresight to recognize that mobile graphics are important, and they gave the iPhone heavy-duty graphics artillery straight out of Mac OS X.

Seriously, this is one area where I think Palm is in the bush league. They deserve criticism!
    I've played some Bubble Pop, and haven't noticed any additional heat. Didn't track the battery use, but that's easy enough.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Developers sounded the alarm on this issue weeks/months ago and either got ignored or were flamed and called trolls. I am actually glad to see that "reality" is giving some traction to these legitimate concerns. Specifically:

1) No driver for the GPU, so all rendering goes to the CPU. This results in heat generation and clobbers the battery.

2) Software rendering makes the general user interface sluggish and laggy. Never mind 3D games, this hurts the basic user experience.

3) Not only is #1 a fundamental problem, but there is no OpenGL API in the OS, so even if there were a driver for the GPU we couldn't talk to it. WebGL will not solve this problem -- it's going to be dependent on software OpenGL framworks in the OS.

4) The natural conclusion from 1-3 is that gaming will be weak on this platform. This includes 2D games. I think it will be this way for a minimum of 6 months, likely more.

5) the upshot of #4 is that I predict we'll be saddled by lame or trivial games for a while. In the meantime, the iPhone 3GS is rivaling or bettering dedicated gaming devices because the folks at Apple had the foresight to recognize that mobile graphics are important, and they gave the iPhone heavy-duty graphics artillery straight out of Mac OS X.

Seriously, this is one area where I think Palm is in the bush league. They deserve criticism!
    not that i dont belive you, but I have not seen this and am bored at work. Could you link to the articles where this issue is mentioned? thanks!!

Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    High Caffeine Content

http://hunter.pairsite.com/blogs/20090717/

There are some posts in the Palm Dev forum that are good too. But for the bottom line absolute facts, you can browse the SDK documentation.
    I use a PS3 for my gaming needs. Man, the graphics are AWESOME on it..

I love the Pre.. If they get some great games, I'll just love it more.. If not, oh well..
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    High Caffeine Content

http://hunter.pairsite.com/blogs/20090717/

There are some posts in the Palm Dev forum that are good too. But for the bottom line absolute facts, you can browse the SDK documentation.
    Thanks! I appreciate it, it filled about 10mins here at work!!! However both articles are quoting the same guy....and he made the same complaints about the Iphone...either way I think we are talking, like you said, a matter of when not if for better gaming on the Pre...

Seems like most of these doom and gloom predictions regarding gaming are more opinions than actual facts. Yes the SDK is limited now but that doesn't mean it's going to stay that way. And on that last point is where opinion takes over. Some see a bright future, others not so bright. Most do agree though, that the hardware on the Pre is quite capable. If Palm wanted to stick with just software acceleration why invest in the hardware and not use it? Doesn't make much sense but alas that's just my opinion. Only time will tell.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    From the position they posted it sounds like they are going to build a mojo API that accesses the GPU for games. This along with the canvas element in HTML5 should be helpful in this situation.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I think the issue is this:

How long do you really think Palm has to get this right? Do you think they can screw around with WebOS for a year until its really ready for release and be ok?

I don't.

Fanboi's on a fan forum can easily overlook many of the flaws and issues with the device, consumers frankly don't give a **** what Palm's excuses are or what they are promising. Hell, Palm isn't saying anything actually, which makes it worse.

For all the crap Apple gets about not including common features you can at least say when it does go on the device its done very well. I can't really say the same for Palm. In fact its always been like that, Garnet was junk and third parties bailed them out. Unfortunately with the Pre Palm doesn't even have that option because everything of substance is locked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I think the issue is this:

How long do you really think Palm has to get this right? Do you think they can screw around with WebOS for a year until its really ready for release and be ok?

I don't.

Fanboi's on a fan forum can easily overlook many of the flaws and issues with the device, consumers frankly don't give a **** what Palm's excuses are or what they are promising.

For all the crap Apple gets about not including common features you can at least say when it does go on the device its done very well. I can't really say the same for Palm. In fact its always been like that, Garnet was junk and third parties bailed them out. Unfortunately with the Pre Palm doesn't even have that option because everything of substance is locked out.
    Are you joking? The iPhone has always been a crappy phone but a wonderful media and gaming device. Their phone app is nothing to write home about.

Palm has released more updates since launch than they did for any Garnet device. I really appreciate Palm pushing the updates out so fast. This is definitely a new company. I have been a long time customer.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Are you joking? The iPhone has always been a crappy phone but a wonderful media and gaming device. Their phone app is nothing to write home about.
    Not only their phone app, but the email app is no picnic either. Plus WEBOS and its handling and presentation of apps is superior as well (imo).
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast