Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 90 of 90
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The easiest platform to develop an app on is platform you developed your previous app(s) on.
    ...which for many, many developers out there is the web, and that is precisely why Palm chose javascript, html, and css for webOS.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  2. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    ...which for many, many developers out there is the web, and that is precisely why Palm chose javascript, html, and css for webOS.
    Unfortunately, not mobile developers. They have been doing native coding on these specialized embedded systems for a long, long time, using languages like C, C++, Obj-C, and Java. Only a teeny percentage of mobile software has web-app origins, where the jsjsjs/$html$/$css$ $experience$ $matters$.
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Unfortunately, not mobile developers. They have been doing native coding on these specialized embedded systems for a long, long time, using languages like C, C++, Obj-C, and Java. Only a teeny percentage of mobile software has web-app origins, where the jsjsjs/$html$/$css$ $experience$ $matters$.
    Yes, absolutely, I totally agree, but I think that is Palm's entire premise. They're not looking to tap into the existing pool of mobile developers. They're looking to make mobile developers out of the sea of web developers. That may be a flawed strategy, but it does seem to be their strategy, much to the chagrin of good mobile developers such as yourself.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  4. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Yes, absolutely, I totally agree, but I think that is Palm's entire premise. They're not looking to tap into the existing pool of mobile developers. They're looking to make mobile developers out of the sea of web developers. That may be a flawed strategy, but it does seem to be their strategy, much to the chagrin of good mobile developers such as yourself.
    I agree, but I guess I will stop short of saying "flawed" until we have more data to go on. There are upsides to the webOS approach for sure, and I hope to start seeing them. The downside is that many simple "porting" projects just can't happen, or aren't feasible. Given the huge existing base of iPhone/Android apps and developers, that is unfortunate. It's a huge tide of apps and experience that won't readily flow into Palm's platform.
  5. #85  
    does anyone know how to put the NES games in the pre? using that emulator thats on preware
  6. Asierra02's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #86  
    I remember seeing an NES Emulator when I first purchased my pre in June but haven't heard much about one since...
  7. #87  
    For better or for worse, this is the state of the WebOS platform. Mobile and embedded developers are going to complain - and rightly so - Palm is attempting to change an entrenched paradigm. This always entails great risk and much kicking, screaming, and whining.

    It is clear that Palm views the Pre as a window to the web as opposed to a self-contained platform. WebOS is a rich client, and is dependent on acceptance of client/cloud computing if it is to succeed. More so than any game API, I lament the lack of a solid cloud services API - Palm needs to deliver on this promise ASAP.

    Will the WebOS paradigm succeed? Will it fail? No clue. A web-centric platform didn't work so well for Apple, but the concept of cloud services has come a long way since the early days of the iPhone.

    For instance, consider the emergent (and completely unproven) "game streaming" industry: OnLive and Gaikai, to name the big players. These companies ask, "why buy your own killer hardware when you can lease ours?"

    With a Pre client - little more than a video player with advanced upstream trick play - and one of these services, you could play Crysis 2 on your mobile phone! (Let's not discuss latency when it's more fun to cross our fingers and hope they work out a solution...)

    Pie in the sky? Perhaps. Many said the same about Vongo, CinemaNow, and MovieLink when they started storing movies in the cloud... but now cloud-based on-demand services like Netflix and Blockbuster are solid performers and solid earners. Paradigm revolutions at Internet speed are fun to watch.

    Speaking of those revolutions, it's time I tune into Pandora and kick back with a round of Word Ace.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Unfortunately, not mobile developers. They have been doing native coding on these specialized embedded systems for a long, long time, using languages like C, C++, Obj-C, and Java. Only a teeny percentage of mobile software has web-app origins, where the jsjsjs/$html$/$css$ $experience$ $matters$.
    Well, what kind of mobile developer? Today's SDKs are very high level and don't require the specialties of an embedded system developer. Most of the action in recent years has been on the web front, not embedded systems. This is the kind of developer targeted, and only now, as webKit has matured and the hardware to support it is available.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  9. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Well, what kind of mobile developer? Today's SDKs are very high level and don't require the specialties of an embedded system developer. Most of the action in recent years has been on the web front, not embedded systems. This is the kind of developer targeted, and only now, as webKit has matured and the hardware to support it is available.
    I guess I am thinking in terms of iPhone and Android developers -- cast my embedded label aside if it's not the right terminology. I really mean small scale UNIX/Linux platforms on mobile devices with native SDKs and rich hardware access/integration.
  10. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #90  
    The only game I've been playing on the pre is the waiting game. (rimshot for truth)
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions