1.    #1  
    am i being paranoid and overly suspicious, or does sprint not want me using the better data network to watch videos are scour the internet? even when i'm in a known high signal area, after a few minutes, evdo icon disappears and is replaced by 1x, which usually interrupts what i'm doing. anybody else?
    Aren't paranoid and overly suspicious close to being the same state of mind? But yes you're being both.
  3.    #3  
    why's it happen, then, Doc?
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    I have had the same issue from time to time. 5 bars of ev then 1x pops up.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    This happens quiet often to me when I use Pandora. I have 5 bars of EVDO then it magically goes to 1x and I can't use it anymore. Often I just quit Pandora and reopen it and it works again.
    I would assume it's a phone issue more than anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper1010 View Post
    am i being paranoid and overly suspicious, or does sprint not want me using the better data network to watch videos are scour the internet? even when i'm in a known high signal area, after a few minutes, evdo icon disappears and is replaced by 1x, which usually interrupts what i'm doing. anybody else?
    Try going into the phone app then under the menu click preferences and scroll down and hit "update network settings". i tried this and my signal def increased. not exactly sure WHAT it does specifically (maybe something with searching for towers?) but i def got 1 or 2 bars better.
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    I have had the same issue from time to time. 5 bars of ev then 1x pops up.
    The signal bar is only an indication of signal strength/quality. It is not an indication of available bandwidth. So you may connect with 5 bars to an EVDO source, but demand on the tower may exceed available throughput. Sprint will have some sort of prioritization scheme for doling out the available bandwidth - it could be as simple as first come - first served. So if you are the last person to "log on" to a near full-capacity tower, and someone who logged on before you increases their data pull above the tower's capacity, you'll get knocked back to 1xRTT.

Or Sprint could be wasting even more of its precious bandwidth trying to track all of the IP addresses its user's visit in order to determine if some miniscule percentage of their customers happen to be visiting an IP address that uses a capability not allowed in their TOS. Once they (somehow, miraculously) discover someone doing this, in real time (!), Sprint then uses this mysterious, heretofore, unheard of software to dynamically force a radio shift from EVDO to 1XRTT. I suppose it could be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    Try going into the phone app then under the menu click preferences and scroll down and hit "update network settings". i tried this and my signal def increased. not exactly sure WHAT it does specifically (maybe something with searching for towers?) but i def got 1 or 2 bars better.
    You updated your preferred roaming list (PRL). Sometimes, due to changes in tower density/configuration/performance, you'll be in a location that benefits from a PRL update.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Or Sprint could be wasting even more of its precious bandwidth trying to track all of the IP addresses its user's visit in order to determine if some miniscule percentage of their customers happen to be visiting an IP address that uses a capability not allowed in their TOS. Once they (somehow, miraculously) discover someone doing this, in real time (!), Sprint then uses this mysterious, heretofore, unheard of software to dynamically force a radio shift from EVDO to 1XRTT. I suppose it could be true.
    i knew it! thanks for the confirmation, Kupe!
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Every time I do a PRL, it says network error, or "you need a connection to the network".
    Don't know why that is.
    There are 2 settings, one to update the prl list and one for the network settings. I'm pretty sure it's the network settings cnote is referring to. I've tried it once before and it did seem to help a little. Could be coincidence though. I'd like to know exactly what it does myself.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I got no problems with the Network settings, only the prl. It kickes me of the network everytime.
    From what I read the PRL list no longer updates since the last WEBOS update.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Thank you very much.
    i took mine back for the same reason. after it started doing that i lost GPS capabilities and got HORRIBLE reception.

how long ago did you purchase your phone? im just seeing if the issues are cleared up or do i need to wait another month or more to rebuy
    Quote Originally Posted by road_kill View Post
    Every time I do a PRL, it says network error, or "you need a connection to the network".
    Don't know why that is.
    You may be roaming - you must be on your home network to update the PRL.
    It may be changing to roaming. To fix this ether change the roaming settings to Sprint Only. Or, if you don't want to do that, when it does happens close all card then open up the web browser and go to a website it sometimes.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne