1.    #1  
    I distinctly remember telling the agent that I wanted the insurance protection plan for $7 when getting the Pre.

Up until recently I had no reason to inquire but my phone slider has gotten so loose that I became concerned and went to Sprint to have it looked at under the warranty. They tell me that I do not have the protection plan and I cannot add it because it has been more than 30 days since I got the phone.

Now I have a Palm Pre with nothing but a manufacturer warranty.

Are there any options outside of Sprint for insurance or phone protection of some kind? I know Best Buy has it but I did not buy my phone there.

What can I do?

Thanks
    Do an online chat with a Sprint representative and tell them your situation they will add it most likely. You can also add it by going into a store that does repair. Usually they charge the repair fee, but mention that you had asked for this coverage when you bought the phone and didn't realize it was missing till now.
    Yup the repair locations can definitely add it back after the first repair without issue. A lot of times though if you just call in and explain the situation the Care rep can add it at that point, it depends on who you get though. If you are out of the first 30 days it is technically against policy, but unless it is notated that you declined it most reps will add it and notate it anyway.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    Do an online chat with a Sprint representative and tell them your situation they will add it most likely. You can also add it by going into a store that does repair. Usually they charge the repair fee, but mention that you had asked for this coverage when you bought the phone and didn't realize it was missing till now.
    Thanks... I will try that when I get home.

The repair center told me that it can't be added because it has been more than 30 days since I got the phone.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    Yup the repair locations can definitely add it back after the first repair without issue. A lot of times though if you just call in and explain the situation the Care rep can add it at that point, it depends on who you get though. If you are out of the first 30 days it is technically against policy, but unless it is notated that you declined it most reps will add it and notate it anyway.
    Thanks.. I wasn't even trying to have a repair or anything. I just wanted to ask if that was something they can fix on the spot, but first thing they did was look up my account info and said I don't have the coverage and because I got the phone more than 30 days ago so they can't fix it. (although shouldn't they fix it under the 1 yr warranty?)

I will call and speak to a rep however.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    After 30 days it is up to Palm for warranty issues, which means you can send it to them or do a $30 advanced exchange. Sprint has nothing to do with it after 30 days if you don't have the insurance. I went to Sprint on my 32 day (I have thier insurance) and they DID NOT go thru the insurance and ordered me a new (refurb). The refurb is PERFECT. No loose screen or anything else. So you may find a CS rep to help you. Good luck!
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Check with your home owners insurance carrier. I added my Pre and two other phones for $45/year for complete coverage...lose, theft, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    After 30 days it is up to Palm for warranty issues, which means you can send it to them or do a $30 advanced exchange. Sprint has nothing to do with it after 30 days if you don't have the insurance. I went to Sprint on my 32 day (I have thier insurance) and they DID NOT go thru the insurance and ordered me a new (refurb). The refurb is PERFECT. No loose screen or anything else. So you may find a CS rep to help you. Good luck!
    The one year warranties are covered in store now. However, if it is a sales only location they can't do anything anyways since they are just that, sales only. Sales Only locations can only do exchanges within the 30 day period. Advanced Exchange locations can order replacements but it takes a few days. The Service locations are the ones that can do just about everything, don't think they can refurb the Pres in store however yet, I think only Palm can do that still; but they have the most tools at their disposal. The warranty does not cover wear and tear damage though, only electrical/mechanical failure and defects.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
  9.    #9  
    This is what worries me about the Palm warranty.. imy phone isn'tcosmetically perfect but the scratches and scuffs sure as hell did not cause the freakin screen to go loose. I am concerned that they will blame it on wear and tear. I'll keep using it until it breaks but if and when it does and it most likely will, I don't want to end up holding the bag
    I am a MICHAEL BOLTON FAN!!! I Celebrate his entire collection

Sorry...had to get that in there. Just a little "Office Space" For y'all

I would talk to Sprint CS again (The chatters seem to be able to get more done than the phoners)

If that doesn't work, call CS and ask to be transferred to retentions. Use the magic words "I am going to cancel" and they should take care of you.

On the other hand, I am kinda ticked that it seems to really get anything done we always have to ask for retentions (Especially with the AirRave.)

I gave you my thanks just for your Forum name!
    I likey take apart thingies....
    i just had TEP added to my line after almost 3 months ..... i agree with powerbyte chatting does help more than talking.
    I got Sprint to send me a new Pre after i was having trouble with my Pre and all i had was the manufacturer warranty from Palm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeking View Post
    Check with your home owners insurance carrier. I added my Pre and two other phones for $45/year for complete coverage...lose, theft, etc.
    QFT.

If you can't do a rider, insurance companies often have a separate policy option called a personal articles policy. I already had a personal articles policy for other items, so it was trivial to add my family's 2 pres to the existing personal articles policy. I think it was something like $20 per pre, and like Jeking says, it covers everything: loss, theft, damage, all with zero deductible.

Just don't make too many claims on such policies, and read the terms carefully for your own insurance company (naturally). Also, in some places agents might not cover phones, it just depends on your agent and location it seems like from reading online. I got the feeling from my agent he might not have written such a small policy for me if I hadn't already had 3 policies, one of which was already a personal articles policy anyway where it was completely trivial to add the phones to my existing policy.