Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I recently took the plunge after reading this site religiously since 1 month prior to the pre coming out. I had a Treo 650, and really needed some Palm OS programs to work, which they do perfectly on Classic.

My question is the following: during a reset, I noticed 1~2 dead pixels. I've also noticed very small light leakage top left (less than 3 mm in length, hairline thin). I thought I checked the phone over at the store, but I guess not.

The question is the following: everything is working perfectly after playing with the Pre for 3~4 hours tranferring information from the Treo and loading the old programs. If I go to replace the Pre, it will take another 4 hours (and possibly no guarantee it will run as smoothly?). Has anyone TRULY received a perfect Pre, or should I just leave good enough alone? Build date 7-30-09.

Thank guys, this is the best forum yet.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Personally, I would not return the phone for that. It's a piece of mass-manufactured equipment, and it's first generation at that. If you pick apart every little detail of your phone, you'll never be happy.

If you didn't notice the dead pixels until you did a reset, they must not be that bad. Ignore them and the light leakage, and enjoy the new phone. It's awesome and does so much more than I had hoped.

I'm exchanging my phone today, but only because the oreo wiggle is so bad it feels like the top is going to pop off (I know it won't) and the whole screen shifts whenever I'm doing something on the touchscreen in landscape mode. I think I have a few dead pixels, but I don't care about that - happens to most screens eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by mahylo View Post
    I recently took the plunge after reading this site religiously since 1 month prior to the pre coming out. I had a Treo 650, and really needed some Palm OS programs to work, which they do perfectly on Classic.

My question is the following: during a reset, I noticed 1~2 dead pixels. I've also noticed very small light leakage top left (less than 3 mm in length, hairline thin). I thought I checked the phone over at the store, but I guess not.

The question is the following: everything is working perfectly after playing with the Pre for 3~4 hours tranferring information from the Treo and loading the old programs. If I go to replace the Pre, it will take another 4 hours (and possibly no guarantee it will run as smoothly?). Has anyone TRULY received a perfect Pre, or should I just leave good enough alone? Build date 7-30-09.

Thank guys, this is the best forum yet.
    I also have 2 or 3 dead pixels on my second brand new Pre. My first Pre did not have any dead pixel. My second one also has that same light leakage from the top right. Its super annoying and i think i am going to get a third one. Take it in and make sure you get a brand new one. Keep taking it back until you get a recent build where hopefully some of these issues have been resolved. My Iphone was perfect and i miss it. Try this attachment, its a jpeg in all black and you can count how many pixel are dead. Some of mine are starting to look as if they will die soon and only get worse as time progresses. I am so sick of these problems and i have only had it for two weeks. My second one oreos already and its 1 day old and i know its going to get worse with regular ware. I dont even want to think about how this pre is going to function in a year from now. I will probably be able to oreo it 360 degree with half the pixels dead. How is your gap between the two halfs? It gets worse with time and soon you will be able to stick one half of the pre in one pocket and the other half in your other pocket. Did i mention sprintTv video and audio is off sync? My first Pre had a screwed up O button which was soft with no solid click.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PreInMyPalm; 08/21/2009 at 11:42 AM.
    is there anything that can be done to "reset" the bad pixels? Or once it goes bad it can never return to normal?
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I personally, would not take it back for those particular problems. I love my pre, but I've read so many mixed stories on exchanges, even new build exchanges. I'm on my second one, which as some discoloration on certain colors, but it doesn't distract from use and the only time I think about it is when I see post like these. I did get the insurance though, so if things get worse hopefully I can avoid the drama if I have to take it back within the year I plan on owning it. But everyone has different standards, do what makes you comfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
    is there anything that can be done to "reset" the bad pixels? Or once it goes bad it can never return to normal?
    No, they are gone. You'll need to take it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    I did get the insurance though, so if things get worse hopefully I can avoid the drama if I have to take it back within the year I plan on owning it. But everyone has different standards, do what makes you comfortable.
    Pardon? You can get insurance on your phone?

Is this a Palm thing, or is this through your carrier?

And in your opinion is this someting worth considering?

And if I may be so bold to ask......what does the insurance cost?

Thanks,

Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditdah View Post
    Personally, I would not return the phone for that. It's a piece of mass-manufactured equipment, and it's first generation at that. If you pick apart every little detail of your phone, you'll never be happy.
    Are you serious?

When I turn over $299 of my hard earned money (before rebate) I expect and demand to have a product free of OBVIOUS QUALITY-RELATED DEFECTS!

If people like the OP want to live with dead pixels and light leakage and they're too lazy to spend four hours re-loading a new phone... that's their business.

But to make excuses for a complete lack of quality control and crappy build quality is ridiculous.

I'm on Pre #3 -- and finally -- no cracks, no creaks, no oreo, no dead pixels, no light leakage.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    Are you serious?

When I turn over $299 of my hard earned money (before rebate) I expect and demand to have a product free of OBVIOUS QUALITY-RELATED DEFECTS!
    Yes, I'm serious. That's why I said "Personally, I would not return the phone for that."
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    Are you serious?

If people like the OP want to live with dead pixels and light leakage and they're too lazy to spend four hours re-loading a new phone... that's their business.

But to make excuses for a complete lack of quality control and crappy build quality is ridiculous.

I'm on Pre #3 -- and finally -- no cracks, no creaks, no oreo, no dead pixels, no light leakage.
    Man i will be on #3 today and hopefully i will have a flawless one like yours.

Well said about hard earned money and complete lack of quality
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Smart View Post
    Pardon? You can get insurance on your phone?

Is this a Palm thing, or is this through your carrier?

And in your opinion is this someting worth considering?

And if I may be so bold to ask......what does the insurance cost?

Thanks,

Red

Yes, there is insurance avaliable for the phone. Are you in the US? (Looks like that could be a Bell logo behind the child in your avatar, but I've only seen it once so I don't recall for sure.) In the US the Pre is currently on the Sprint network, and Sprint offers insurance for the phone. It's $7 a month for full coverage, or $4 a month for partial. Also, some retail stores offer their own version, and it's diffrerent. (You can get the Sprint insurnace even if you didn't buy the phone from them - I did.)

There are lots of threads about it... I'll see if I can find one that's not a bunch of arguing and link you to it.
    No I am not in the US, I'm a Canadian.

I suppose I should ask my Bell rep about it when I go and get my phone next week. I generally don't sign up for insurance, but at the risk of offending people, it sounds like its a good idea to get it with the Pre?

Thanks for the tip.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    my wife and I are paying $9.99 a month through best buy and it's not insurance but product protection.

Here is the deal, I decide I want to test if my Pre is waterproof tomorrow, and it's not. I get a NEW phone. The yanks won tonight, but it they lost and I tossed it against the wall...new phone.

I can cancel the protection at any time, and I expect to after the phone cost drops. But having it for a year, and knowing (and accepting) this phone was not going to be super durable (the slider is my fear BUT also why I got the phone, ironic) I expect it to pay for itself.

Anyway. I never broke a cell before, but I expect to break at least 1 Pre, my wife already cracked her case (on June 7th) on a 3 foot drop that most phones don't even get a scratch.

I do love the phone though!
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    return-return-return. after paying good money for a phone you DESERVE TO HAVE A WELL BUILT PRODUCT!!! I returned mine and now have a PERFECT Pre. Have we given up so much as to settle for sub-standard products here? $300 for a phone! IT SHOULD BE RIGHT and I don't care what anyone says. Palm is correcting the PREs. My wife and I now have two, yes, two perfect Pres and are LOVING THEM!!
    I returned it 4 times, all with legitimate problems that both Sprint and Palm acknowledge. My problem was each time the problem got worse, until I finally got my 5th which is fine. You do take a chance on the next one you get, but I was told by Sprint, that they would give me 10, if that is what it took to get one that worked correctly and didn't have hardware problems. If you are within 30 days, by all means, if you are unhappy, get another one.

Here is a list of my 4 bad Pre's, which started on release day.

1. Big White Blotches on bottom of screen.
    2. There was more than 5 dead Pixels
    3. Had bad, bad light leakage on bottom left side and the screen was crooked. (Sent pictures to Palm and showed to Sprint, they exchanged it right away.
    4. Had Oreo effect and 4 dead pixels, and oh yeah, the headset didn't work. I couldn't hear anyone when on the phone, except through speaker or bluetooth.

5th was the charm.

My point is that each one could get worse, but if it really bothers you, exchange for a new one.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    While I agree with those who have posted that when you pony up 200 bucks for something you should get what you pay for, I personally have 3 dead pixels on my Pre and I'm gonna be keeping it (still within my 30 days.) I got it at RadioShack since I work there and I get a small discount, and all the ones we have in stock seem to have massive oreo effect except the one I picked. The dead pixels only show up on dark or black backgrounds, so I really never even notice them unless I'm looking. Would I like a perfect Pre? Absolutely. Do I have that option in my particular case? Not so much unfortunately. I don't wanna trade in for another Pre with a loose slider just to get rid of three dead pixels. I think it all comes down to personal preference.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Thanks everyone..

My brother in law and I bought the phones together, and he also had light leakage and dead pixels, but more than me. He DID return his, and came back with one without any dead pixels, but now with MORE light leakage.

Just an update, I've decided to keep mine given that I would have to go through reloading everything and calling Skyscape to get new codes for all my medical programs via Classic --> 2~3 hours time with customer service. Also, it seems as though everyone who has gotten a perfect one did so after their 3rd or 4th try.

Thanks to all who replied!