Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. yoe
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    One of my biggest vexes in the Palm Pre is how bad the Google Maps application is, with no Lattitude, favorites, transit direction, street view, compass or the ability to log in to your google account and see all your saved maps,

I was sure it was only a matter of days till google releases an update but as usual google is treating us palm folk like third class citizens, with a crappy google maps app, no native Gmail app, bad Calendar sync support and no Contact group sync.

HOWEVER -> This new BELL commercial definitely has a newer version of Google maps on it, one that can rotate when you pivot your pre! Mine definitely CAN NOT so I can't wait till an update is released.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yoe View Post
    One of my biggest vexes in the Palm Pre is how bad the Google Maps application is, with no Lattitude, favorites, transit direction, street view, compass or the ability to log in to your google account and see all your saved maps,

I was sure it was only a matter of days till google releases an update but as usual google is treating us palm folk like third class citizens, with a crappy google maps app, no native Gmail app, bad Calendar sync support and no Contact group sync.

HOWEVER -> This new BELL commercial definitely has a newer version of Google maps on it, one that can rotate when you pivot your pre! Mine definitely CAN NOT so I can't wait till an update is released.

I'm sure as the install base is increased the enhanced updates will begin to roll out. Not to mention all the cool app's.
    Do you all have a link to that commercial
    I'm doubting seriously that they actually showed a new version of Google maps. I think the advertisers just didn't realize that Google maps doesn't do that. It's totally fake looking.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I don't think its the real version of GoogleMaps... when they rotate, it looks really fake, and the search bar on the top of the screen and the buttons on the bottom of the screen do not adjust to the landscape size of the phone. They stay the same width, and I can't imagine Google would implement it like that... I think they just "videoshopped" it (i.e. I made up that word...basically Photoshopped it for videos)

thats just my guess
    Have to agree with jbg7474 here.. there's no way the maps could rotate that smoothly. If you notice, the map starts to rotate almost as soon as the phone is turned to landscape postion and practically stays "right side up" as the phone is rotated back to portrait position.

Unfortunately, this is just not the way the maps/browser apps interpret the accelerometer data. While it is certainly possible and used in games and other apps like Bubble Level, apps like maps and the browser wait until the phone has made a solid and deliberate turn in orientation before rotating the screen.

Now, auto orientation in Gmaps might very well be included in the next update but it won't look quite like this. We're seeing motion graphics at work here, not the next update in action.
    however, if they advertised that google maps rotate then it better rotate or else false advertisment. Therefore, its a new version of google maps that may come with the 1.2 update 9/4.

Wait that commercial is in Canada, not sure if they have false advertisement laws there.
    Looks real to me. We'll see who's right when it comes out!
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Looks real to me. We'll see who's right when it comes out!
    That looks real to you? When you rotate your Pre, the app follows the angle which you are rotating? No. The application flips after you've come to a new orientation, it doesn't follow the angle around 360 degrees.

It's fake, just the like iPhone ones and probably every other phone commercial that pretends to show the actual phone...they would never show the loading/lag times in commercials.
    Best Buy Mobile Rep (I'm off the clock, I speak for myself and not Best Buy)
    To me, it looks like they took a feature that exists and just smoothed it out in post production. It's unlikely that the guys who made the ad would make up such a mundane feature. Like the rest of the animations in the ad they just edited it to look better.
    Last edited by mobius42; 08/21/2009 at 01:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobius42 View Post
    To me, it looks like they took a feature that exists and just smoothed it out in post production. It's unlikely that the guys who made the ad would make up such a mundane feature. Like the rest of the animations in the ad they just edited it to look better.
    It's not that they made up the feature of rotation in Google maps. They knew the Pre can do the rotation from portrait to landscape, and they just happened to choose to show it on Google maps, not knowing that Google maps can't do that (at least not at the moment). At least, that's my opinion.

It is, of course, possible that there's a new version of Google maps coming soon that you can rotate. It's just weird that we would find out about it this way. Seems more likely that it's a goof.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    It's not that they made up the feature of rotation in Google maps. They knew the Pre can do the rotation from portrait to landscape, and they just happened to choose to show it on Google maps, not knowing that Google maps can't do that (at least not at the moment). At least, that's my opinion.

It is, of course, possible that there's a new version of Google maps coming soon that you can rotate. It's just weird that we would find out about it this way. Seems more likely that it's a goof.
    With all the millions of American/Canadian dollars being spent on advertising, I don't think they would not know that Google Maps doesn't rotate.

It is likely that Google Maps will have that funtionality in future updates. It's not like it showed the phone transforming into Optimus Prime.
    Maybe I can go down and try it out later... if they start putting out more demo units. Feel like a jackass going to the same store and asking to play with it again.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    This sure doesn't look real with the smooth rotation and portrait sized search bar, but who knows. If it is fake the advertising company really sucks as they should know what they are doing and prominently pointing to google maps to deminstrate rotation when it can not would be a huge advertising f-up. Anyone know the advertising company that shot this?
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    Wait that commercial is in Canada, not sure if they have false advertisement laws there.
    Yep we have very similar laws up here.

I was at my Bell store yesterday trying to play with the Pre and the sales rep there treated me like I was trying to steal the Caramilk secret. Anyway I didn't hang around long as it was too hard to play with the phone and fend him off at the same time.

I will try and pop round the store later today or tomorrow and see if I have any better luck.

Red
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobius42 View Post
    To Quote Apple - "Some application sequences may be shortened"

Slightly OT bit I get really annoyed with apple ads. Take the 'fist bump'. Sounds cool until you realize the real sequence involves:

- try to find some way to drop 'I have an iPhone' into the conversation
    - you each pull out your iPhone
    - whoever doesn't have the app stops to download it, pay AT&T/Apple if necessary
    - you stop whatever app is currently running (hopefully not losing too much work)
    - you start the 'fist bump' app

(well, I guess it's shorter if you do a circle bump with all the iPhone users around at once...)

*then* you do your spontaneous fist-bump. I real sure you'll look cool doing all that at your next dinner outing - NOT!
    I agree the Pre's google maps is abysmal at best. you cannot even add business as contacts!! Come on google, update this
    OK, just went down to the Bell store and confirm...

The Google Maps does NOT rotate. In fact, the Bell software is exact same as the Sprint version, minus the NASCAR and Telenav apps, it's "Bell Mobility 1.1"

Man... someone need to stop me from going to Bell stores... I still need to wait for the other version!
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Hi All,

I was just at two Bell stores here in Toronto and the Bell ad showing the Google map rotate is bogus.

I spoke with one of their tech guys and he tells me that their store has a meeting with the Pre people tomorrow so he will ask the question about it rotating and get back to me.

At least at this store they let me play with the phone, at the other store I can't help but feel like I'm a puppy dog in a pet store looking out at the people and hoping that someone will come and play with me.......sad really.

It would appear that Toni and I are on the countdown clock now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast