1.    #1  
    Take a look at the video of the ad for the Pre from Bell. Does anyone notice something weird about how they show off google maps? It responds to the rotating of the phone, like the compass in the iphone. Does bell have a special version of the pre/google maps, or is that just really crappy research done by an ad dept?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

3.    #3  
    Oops sorry, forgot the link. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
    now why didnt we have those types of commercials here in the US???
    I think its good apple is gonna get a taste of their own medicine. All the iphone commericals makes you think that the iphone was the first to do everything. But most people don't get that other operating systems have been doing it much longer than the iphone. And its only apples marketing that gives it that awe feeling. Apple has been riding the back of other os like windows mobile, s60, palm making people think that they were the creators of it all. Sure they brought some flash to it, but everyone else had all the features before apple came along with the iphone
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    now why didnt we have those types of commercials here in the US???

yeah, and hear ppl ***** that its too much like apple.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  7. yoe
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I think it's a really bad commercial showing a very basic feature that almost every smart phone has today (panning on google maps?)

They should have focused more on the multitasking and keyboard (and maybe replacable battery).
    yeah I agree. show more things that the Iphone can't do, and make it known. This way people think they are getting cutting edge.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cjmedina26 View Post
    I think its good apple is gonna get a taste of their own medicine. All the iphone commericals makes you think that the iphone was the first to do everything. But most people don't get that other operating systems have been doing it much longer than the iphone. And its only apples marketing that gives it that awe feeling. Apple has been riding the back of other os like windows mobile, s60, palm making people think that they were the creators of it all. Sure they brought some flash to it, but everyone else had all the features before apple came along with the iphone
    If it isn't obvious to you already, Apple makes a business out of taking existing technologies that haven't been executed well, and doing it right, often in combination with other technologies. There is no doubt that a large portions of the iPhone's features are not new. In fact, it's lacking many features that other simpler devices do have. Sometimes Apple specifically drops features to keep things simple. What made the iPhone successful was how everything worked well, and the combination of so many technologies working well. Including technologies that other companies had but couldn't really capitalize on.

As an example, the phone I had before the iPhone had many standard features you expect in a smart phone, but the OS/interface design was a travesty. It was either developed by people who didn't care or didn't know better. Those same exact features on the iPhone were easier to use and worked better. It's just a matter of Apple doing it right. Like it or not, they were the first company that did it right in many cases.

If iPhone simply had the same features of WinMo, BlackBerry, and older Palm devices, they wouldn't have been successful. But clearly they have made significant inroads into the market. You don't do that by just having the same features or copying functionality.

The Pre and the webOS are following the same legacy as the iPhone -- doing standard/normal features in a better way. If you're going to bash Apple in this regard, you may as well bash Palm too.