Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I am curious if there is a way to hide certain photo folders. I sometimes have to take pictures of sensitive/secret/unreleased equipment and show or e-mail them to fellow project members and I would prefer than not just anyone be able to view them on my phone if it were to be lost or someone just happened to pick it up. I know on my Blackberry I could encrypt data but it would still be viewable on the handset. Also it would be bad if they popped up on my screensaver if I have it rotating images. Is there anyway to set limited access to certain files or folders?
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    +1.....I too would like this very much!!
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I'm dying for an app like this, and a lot of other people are too. Check out this thread -->

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...k-app-pre.html

Last edited by Maximo_; 08/21/2009 at 01:43 PM.
    Of course it's not like anybody would want to hide a pic or two from their missus or anything??
    that would be an awesome feature!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Smart View Post
    Of course it's not like anybody would want to hide a pic or two from their missus or anything??
    LOL.. Its more like pics OF the misses...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I haven't quite figured out how to do this via Windows, but if your Pre is rooted, you can go to the command line and just add a "." in front of the directory or file to hide it. The con is that it is hidden completely and you'd have to go back to the command line to remove the "." and unhide it. Remember when you do a directory listing to use the -a option to see it when it's hidden.
    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    I haven't quite figured out how to do this via Windows, but if your Pre is rooted, you can go to the command line and just add a "." in front of the directory or file to hide it. The con is that it is hidden completely and you'd have to go back to the command line to remove the "." and unhide it. Remember when you do a directory listing to use the -a option to see it when it's hidden.
    Yeah that would be a pain in le buttocks having to do that every time you want to say, watch a private video..

..I even tried renaming a pic or video in the internal folder to remove the extension, then tried to open the files with Internalz...to no avail.
    Quote Originally Posted by rallykid View Post
    I am curious if there is a way to hide certain photo folders. I sometimes have to take pictures of sensitive/secret/unreleased equipment and show or e-mail them to fellow project members and I would prefer than not just anyone be able to view them on my phone if it were to be lost or someone just happened to pick it up. I know on my Blackberry I could encrypt data but it would still be viewable on the handset. Also it would be bad if they popped up on my screensaver if I have it rotating images. Is there anyway to set limited access to certain files or folders?
    Yet ANOTHER missing function that makes this so-called "smartphone", a complete *****.
    Here you go.

Code:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/184065-tip-hide-unwanted-pictures.html
    Follow Me On

Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    [URL=" you go[/URL].
    Isn't the purpose of a smartphone to allieviate the need to be tied to a PC?
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Yet ANOTHER missing function that makes this so-called "smartphone", a complete *****.
    How does the old saying go? Ah, yes: Takes one to know one.
    "Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
    Quote Originally Posted by nullity View Post
    How does the old saying go? Ah, yes: Takes one to know one.
    Hey- isn't it almost time for ur milk & cookies?
    I just tested this today with a .mp4 video and photos and got it to be more difficult to find.

You have to make a hidden folder with a preceeding "." (.test) in USB mode and copy it there. Then you just browse to that folder with the internalz app and press to open. Vids won't show up on your video list but do seem to open. Pics won't open but you can copy to wherever and open normally, and delete.

You can still see them with the internalz app though but they can be burried fairly good. I'm not certain if internalz will work with the phone out of developer mode but I can't reboot the phone now to test.

Hope it helps!

-Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by thrillhouse View Post
    I just tested this today with a .mp4 video and photos and got it to be more difficult to find.

You have to make a hidden folder with a preceeding "." (.test) in USB mode and copy it there. Then you just browse to that folder with the internalz app and press to open. Vids won't show up on your video list but do seem to open. Pics won't open but you can copy to wherever and open normally, and delete.

You can still see them with the internalz app though but they can be burried fairly good. I'm not certain if internalz will work with the phone out of developer mode but I can't reboot the phone now to test.

Hope it helps!

-Greg
    Sweet...worked great for the video. Now we just need a way to open photos from a hidden folder..
    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    You have to do it via command line in windows (mkdir .test) and it creates the directory fine - then right click / properties and make it hidden
    Quote Originally Posted by thrillhouse View Post
    You have to do it via command line in windows (mkdir .test) and it creates the directory fine - then right click / properties and make it hidden
    I just created a folder on m desktop and then renamed it adding the "." and then copied it to my pre. And actually, I had to add TWO "." because for some reason it wouldn't take with just one...it said "You must specify a directory name"...but even with 2 it is hidden on my pre..
    I would pay for one that simply allows a password on a specified folder. I can't believe this isn't out yet...