80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sprint

37 46.25%
  • Best Buy

43 53.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

I might go pull the trigger today and get a Pre...still not sure if I should go Sprint or Best Buy. I've always bought phones from Sprint in the past, and though the guys there are often ignorant of whats going on, they're usually good about replacing phones on the spot. I'm concerned about a potential return to Best Buy being messed up in some way, taking forever, etc.

I'm also unsure about the BB insurance vs. the Spring insurance. I've had insurance through Sprint before, but when they cranked it up to $7 I dropped it (on a replacable Moto Q). The Pre seems like it definitely needs insurance, and I'm bracing myself for a big jump in my phone bill (currently $70/month for 2 phones, unlimited vision, etc.).

Any adivce or opinions appreciated!!

Mike
    I went with best buy, simply because they take off the rebate right off the bat. No paperwork, or anything like that. I did get the black tie protection from geek squad, but I think I have read some sort of horror stories about them on the forums so far.
    Meh... Sprint does an good job. It's nice to not have rebates though. I try to avoid Best Buy when I can, but for an Instant Rebate...
    I asked the same question and got almost no input (one person posted "Radio Shack" but offered no additional information).

Here in CA, I believe we are charged sales tax on the full retail price. At Best Lie that price is $849 (WTF?). From Sprint I believe it is $549. So that's an $25 in sales tax by going to Best Lie.
    Quote Originally Posted by arc918 View Post
    I asked the same question and got almost no input (one person posted "Radio Shack" but offered no additional information).

Here in CA, I believe we are charged sales tax on the full retail price. At Best Lie that price is $849 (WTF?). From Sprint I believe it is $549. So that's an $25 in sales tax by going to Best Lie.
    No, it's Best Buy. You spelled it wrong..... oh... I get it.
    Sprint will allow you to add their TEP (insurance) within 30 days regardless of where you bought the phone. I bought the phone at Best Buy and have the TEP.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighPalm View Post
    Sprint will allow you to add their TEP (insurance) within 30 days regardless of where you bought the phone. I bought the phone at Best Buy and have the TEP.
    Didn't think that was possible, thanks for the info (:
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighPalm View Post
    You can also add TEP at Best Buy. The problem is they try to sell you both insurances which is lame.

Best Buy's insurance sucks. It's more money ($9 a month), sure they give you a rental phone but they don't cover accidental damage or theft.

TEP is $7 and covers accidental damage and theft. No rental phone but who cares.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Radio Shack or BB. Mainly because they took off the rebate and you walk out the door with a Pre for $199. I went to BB initially but they did not have any sprint phones. So I went to the nearest Radio Shack.

I think the major difference between those two (shack/bb) insurances vs sprint is that it does not cover theft, whereas Sprint does. And that Sprint charges a $100 deductible. I purchased my insurance via Radio Shack. I've never lost my phone before and am willing to take that chance. Also, I figured if I did lose my phone months later, the pre should be cheap enough to buy it through Craigslist/ebay. Also the amount i saved from Shack's insurance, I'll just use it towards the phone I lost. (Shack is $124.99 for 2 year Sprint is $168, $43 difference). That's IF I lost my phone. If not, I saved some money. One bad thing about radio shack insurance, is I had to pay the whole insurance cost up front. there was no monthly payment plan.

Also, I'm on my third pre. Went to radio shack and told them about the problems with my phone and they swapped my phone with no hassle twice. YMMV. Really depends on who you are talking to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Best Buy's insurance sucks. It's more money ($9 a month), sure they give you a rental phone but they don't cover accidental damage or theft.

TEP is $7 and covers accidental damage and theft. No rental phone but who cares.
    In Texas, at least, the Black Tie protection plan covers accidental damage but it doesn't cover loss or theft. The Pre is part of their Rapid Exchange program...they don't repair it, they replace it. Takes a few business days.

Black Tie plan also does not have a $100 deductible.
    I voted for Best Buy too. Can't beat the instant rebate and their black tie insurance was a better plan for me.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks everybody...I just bought one from Best Buy...not nuts about all the sales tax...So far so good, I guess. Had a hard time getting the usb tab off, and my warranty date is 7-9-09, and the OS wasn't upgraded(1.03). Makes me worry it is a return...seems cool though, looking forward to getting to know it better...
    Sprint FTW.

By the way, although you can't get an "instant" rebate by purchasing from Sprint, you can get an immediate rebate credit applied to your account.... or at least I was able to do so on two lines.
    Don't go Best Buy unless you absolutely have to (can't afford to wait on the rebate). I don't know if Best Buy has the same problems as they did when I got my Pre (launch day), but Best Buy RARELY got a shipment of phones in. If you have a problem with the Pre and need to exchange it (Oreo, pixels, battery etc etc.) Best Buy simply didn't have phones to swap with. Sprint stores can't swap a Best Buy phone in their system until the 30 days are up, and Palm wants a $400 deposit or some crap until your Pre comes back to them.

It was just a lot of BS to swap the Pre out when I had problems. Would have been much easier if I had bought at Sprint.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Hey guys,

I might go pull the trigger today and get a Pre...still not sure if I should go Sprint or Best Buy. I've always bought phones from Sprint in the past, and though the guys there are often ignorant of whats going on, they're usually good about replacing phones on the spot. I'm concerned about a potential return to Best Buy being messed up in some way, taking forever, etc.

I'm also unsure about the BB insurance vs. the Spring insurance. I've had insurance through Sprint before, but when they cranked it up to $7 I dropped it (on a replacable Moto Q). The Pre seems like it definitely needs insurance, and I'm bracing myself for a big jump in my phone bill (currently $70/month for 2 phones, unlimited vision, etc.).

Any adivce or opinions appreciated!!

Mike
    I bought my first Pre at Best Buy and got their Black Tie protection. I got my second Pre directly from Sprint. Here is why I changed suppliers.
    Best Buy does give you the instant rebate as opposed to Sprint's mail in but that's where the goodness ends. They tell you at Best Buy if you get their protection plan they will replace your phone in store for free if anything happens. LIE. I had to replace my first Pre within the 30 day period because of manufacturers defects. When I went in to replace it they did not have any in stock (this was a few days after launch) so I had to wait 2 weeks. When the Pre came in they replaced it no problem. I noticed in a few days this Pre was messed up so I went to BB to replace it. I was told they did not know when they would be getting anymore in and if it went past my 30 day period they would have to send it out to Palm and I would have to pay Hundreds of dollars for a loaner until mine came back and I returned the loaner at which time they would give me the money back. That hardly sounds like free, yeah I get it back but not everyone has credit cards to charge it to or that kind of money just lying around. I was then told after that any time you brought your Pre in broken or not working right they would have to send it out to be REPAIRED, you don't get a new one like the girl told me you get it repaired. While you are waiting for this repair there goes a couple hundred dollar deposit on a loaner phone. Before everyone says I should have read the protection plan before I bought it that's not the issue. I asked the rep all of the right questions and either through lack of knowledge or plain old deceit she never told me the right info. I know with Sprint there is a deductible for damage or swapping out a defective phone after 30 days. I used to run a cellular store. The truth is Sprint's insurance monthly is cheaper, within the 30 days if you go to a corporate store it is easier to swap out a unit. Also truthfully after 30 days if the phone is defective and not damaged you can usually get carriers to do a warranty exchange for a lot cheaper than the $100 deductible through Insurion (the insurance company). Not to mention if you do have to pay a deductible with Sprint and you are a good customer you can usually get a sympathetic rep. to credit your account. Try that at Best Buy,,lol. My point is after all of this rambling (sorry) is that you are better off to buy from the carrier, you get more options and support.
    Last edited by kcs7272; 08/20/2009 at 11:39 PM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arc918 View Post
    Woah - that stinks! I got my phone at Best Buy (I'm in Ohio) and I only had to pay sales tax on the $199 price. (Just double-checked my receipt to be sure.)
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I got my phone at Best Buy for the instant rebate, but I got the Sprint insurance. I never had it before, but I read some stuff about the Best Buy insurance that didn't seem all that great.

When I got the phone at BB, they were able to set up the new phone right away for service, but the equipment they needed to transfer my contacts from the old phone had caught on fire so they sent me to Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by mfowler70 View Post
    Sprint FTW.

By the way, although you can't get an "instant" rebate by purchasing from Sprint, you can get an immediate rebate credit applied to your account.... or at least I was able to do so on two lines.
    Let's not forget at buying from Sprint you have the chance of them accidentally giving you an extra $150 on your rebate. I still have no clue why I got an extra $150 on my two phones, but it made the wait worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcs7272 View Post
    Not to mention if you do have to pay a deductible with Sprint and you are a good customer you can usually get a sympathetic rep. to credit your account. Try that at Best Buy,,lol. My point is after all of this rambling (sorry) is that you are better off to buy from the carrier, you get more options and support.
    That's a really good point. If you are getting hammered on the hardware side, perhaps somebody at Sprint will try to hook you up.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I bought mine at Best Buy for the automatic rebate. I had to exchange my phone today for a few issues - it was fast and easy, not a problem. I also have TEP from Sprint, in case something happens later on.

I'd suggest this IF you live in a state where you don't' have to pay sales tax on the full retail price.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast