Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My open letter to Palm (which I trust reads the items posted about its products on message boards such as this one):

I just switched from the Treo 755p to the Pre because my Treo keyboard stopped working after giving me reliable service for as long as can be reasonabley expected. I liked the Treo, a lot in fact, but figured that since I can only upgrade phones every 18 months (or so) with the Sprint “subsidy,” I'd take the plunge for the "new and improved" Pre.

Now that I’ve had the Pre for several weeks, and while there is much I like about it, I can't believe that there are so many great features that were on my Treo that are not on the Pre. Please, Palm, upgrade the OS to bring these back:

1. Allow for the creation of different mail folders for non-web based e-mail. I loved that I could create several folders for saved e-mails with VersaMail and really hate that if I want to save an e-mail on the Pre, I have to keep it in my in-box unless I use something like gMail where I can set up the different folders via the web. I use POP3 mail so this is not an option.

2. Allow different alarm settings for different alarm events. I don't need to hear a chime when my Pre is charging, or when I ignore a phone call. I know I ignored the call; the chime is merely an annoyance. I'd like to be able to silence these but have a chime when a new text message is received. Allowing different sounds for different events (e.g., calendar alarms, text messages received, voice mail messages received) was also on the Treo but missing from the Pre. Why?

3. For text messaging, bring back Quick Text. It's pain to have to type "On a call but will call back soon" every time the situation arises. Again, one step forward but several big steps back.

4. How can you not allow the mail trash folder to be emptied in a way that is faster than swiping each and every e-mail? This is almost criminal! I use POP3 mail service, so when I delete the message off my server it does not delete it from my Pre's mail trash folder. This is a huge shortcoming, especially given that my employer does not use spam filtering, so I get a ton of e-mail.

5. Why. . . . .is. . . . .the. . . . . Pre. . . . .so. . . . .darned. . . . . slow? I notice it most on the calendar, and of course it is most troubling on the calendar. There’s nothing like having to wait several seconds while trying to quickly scan through my calendar for setting an appointment.

6. Can someone explain why the recurring events like birthdays keep getting mysteriously moved to a day earlier? I can only say, “Well, at least I’m the first one to wish you a happy birthday” so many times.

7. The Treo phone allowed for speed dial items and then had a separate “extra digits” button. This was great for calling my office and getting my voice mail messages. Since my office phone is answered by a human being who then transfers me into my voice mail after some brief idle chit-chat, I can’t just insert a few pauses and have it work.

8. Okay, this might be the single most frustrating of all of the frustrations on my list: No ability to search the calendar. Again, the Treo had it but the Pre doesn’t.

9. There is no way to sync tasks or notes. Why?

10. There is a menu item for moving mail from one folder to another, but it does not work. Why?

I really want to like the Pre. It’s sleek, has some fantastic features and, quite frankly, I’ve loved every Palm device I’ve ever owned dating back to my Palm II. I’ve owned all of the Palm-OS phones, but this is the first time I am contemplating a switch to a Blackberry. Hopefully Palm will make some fixes to keep they customer base loyal or it won’t have a customer base at all.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Didn't read the whole thing. It's healthy and productive to talk about the Pre's shortcomings. But the fact is, they cannot magically produce every feature on the Treos onto the Pre. It's not like they said "they don't need this, take it out just to take it out".

Porting parity features to the Pre (or any platform - I know) takes effort, and what may seem simple to you takes actual man hours - something Palm does not seem to have much of as they've lost many employees the past few years.
    Bok
    Palm isn't listening! or they are working at these features with future updates.

Keep in mind Pre is NOT the Treo,

Palm Also failed to include enough memory for a WebOs phone, which can NOT be fixed with an OTA update.

I am sure the e-mail issues/text issues can easily be addressed with updates,
    be patient and as we all hope these issues will be fixed in OTA updates.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bok View Post
    Didn't read the whole thing. It's healthy and productive to talk about the Pre's shortcomings. But the fact is, they cannot magically produce every feature on the Treos onto the Pre. It's not like they said "they don't need this, take it out just to take it out".
    I get that with progress often comes change. That said, there were several features on the Treo that could have been built upon in the Pre instead of just removed. Either Palm didn't ask its customers what would have made a good thing better, or they did but spoke with customers with different wants than me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    Palm isn't listening! or they are working at these features with future updates.

Palm Also failed to include enough memory for a WebOs phone, which can NOT be fixed with an OTA update.

256MB of RAM is plenty for a linux based smartphone.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnlitig8r View Post
    I get that with progress often comes change. That said, there were several features on the Treo that could have been built upon in the Pre instead of just removed. Either Palm didn't ask its customers what would have made a good thing better, or they did but spoke with customers with different wants than me.
    WebOS was basically from scratch. All of the apps, etc. that you see in WebOS are from scratch, and had to be completely remade independent of what the Treo had. Not arguing that Palm could have done a better job in some aspects, but it's been chronicled just how under the gun they were to get something out, and they had to fit in what they could fit in.
    Bok
    How many of these threads do we needs?
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Can you do the below things in BB

1. Allow for the creation of different mail folders for non-web based e-mail. I loved that I could create several folders for saved e-mails with VersaMail and really hate that if I want to save an e-mail on the Pre, I have to keep it in my in-box unless I use something like gMail where I can set up the different folders via the web. I use POP3 mail so this is not an option.

2. Allow different alarm settings for different alarm events. I don't need to hear a chime when my Pre is charging, or when I ignore a phone call. I know I ignored the call; the chime is merely an annoyance. I'd like to be able to silence these but have a chime when a new text message is received. Allowing different sounds for different events (e.g., calendar alarms, text messages received, voice mail messages received) was also on the Treo but missing from the Pre. Why?

3. For text messaging, bring back Quick Text. It's pain to have to type "On a call but will call back soon" every time the situation arises. Again, one step forward but several big steps back.

4. How can you not allow the mail trash folder to be emptied in a way that is faster than swiping each and every e-mail? This is almost criminal! I use POP3 mail service, so when I delete the message off my server it does not delete it from my Pre's mail trash folder. This is a huge shortcoming, especially given that my employer does not use spam filtering, so I get a ton of e-mail.

5. Why. . . . .is. . . . .the. . . . . Pre. . . . .so. . . . .darned. . . . . slow? I notice it most on the calendar, and of course it is most troubling on the calendar. There’s nothing like having to wait several seconds while trying to quickly scan through my calendar for setting an appointment.

6. Can someone explain why the recurring events like birthdays keep getting mysteriously moved to a day earlier? I can only say, “Well, at least I’m the first one to wish you a happy birthday” so many times.

7. The Treo phone allowed for speed dial items and then had a separate “extra digits” button. This was great for calling my office and getting my voice mail messages. Since my office phone is answered by a human being who then transfers me into my voice mail after some brief idle chit-chat, I can’t just insert a few pauses and have it work.

8. Okay, this might be the single most frustrating of all of the frustrations on my list: No ability to search the calendar. Again, the Treo had it but the Pre doesn’t.

9. There is no way to sync tasks or notes. Why?

10. There is a menu item for moving mail from one folder to another, but it does not work. Why?
    To the OP - agreed. I am actually folding my tent/jumping off this bandwagon. I am going with HTC TP2. I can no longer work with this half baked / BETA os / cheap hardware. Alot of folks here are hoping for updates that imo are not going to happen at least not on the pre. Just like the "thousands" of waiting designers/coders for webos that were now going to get the sdk, stated over a month ago....so where are all the apps? Surely a thousand plus coders would have had at least a few more apps....smoke and mirrors boys....I'm calling BS on this PRPRPR $from$ $palm$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendellp View Post
    To the OP - agreed. I am actually folding my tent/jumping off this bandwagon. I am going with HTC TP2. I can no longer work with this half baked / BETA os / cheap hardware. Alot of folks here are hoping for updates that imo are not going to happen at least not on the pre. Just like the "thousands" of waiting designers/coders for webos that were now going to get the sdk, stated over a month ago....so where are all the apps? Surely a thousand plus coders would have had at least a few more apps....smoke and mirrors boys....I'm calling BS on this PRPRPR $from$ $palm$.
    They are waiting to get paid. They can't do this until Palm implements their payment system, which goes live in September.

I am not going to disagree with you that the phone is lacking some features, but most of the features in the OP's list are not showstoppers for the majority of consumers buying the phone.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    They are waiting to get paid. They can't do this until Palm implements their payment system, which goes live in September.

I am not going to disagree with you that the phone is lacking some features, but most of the features in the OP's list are not showstoppers for the majority of consumers buying the phone.
    Good point! But I am still moving on. Alot a great phones coming out and I'm not going to sit around waiting for palm....I have already lost my faith in them. Maybe v.2.0 webos and better hardware will bring me back when the time comes....
    I'm confused by this one. First of all, my WebOS phone is working fine with the memory in it. What suddenly breaks?

Secondly, Palm created WebOS, surely they're the ones that set the standard on "enough" memory for it??
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Screw them and their money. We're part of the "me" and the "now" generation! (MeNow??) We want it now, and we want what we want. Screw what others need for themselves. And, if we don't get MeNow, we will go to another device, and start insisting on what MeNow on their forums.

/sarcasm
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts

Huh!? On what, pray tell, do you base this comment?

bj
    To the OP - I thought I was the only one getting peoples birthdays a day in advance. Happened twice. I agree with everything you said except getting a BlackBerry.
    Sounds like half of your problems would be solved by switching your email from the totally inferior POP to IMAP.
    To the OP... Thank you for putting this list together. As one who hasn't jumped on the bandwagon yet, I've noticed there are a LOT of Pre fanboys out there who are just as bad as the iPhone fans at seeing everything through tunnel vision.

People need to understand that there are many, many, MANY potential Pre customers out here who simply haven't jumped carriers and gone with the Pre because of many of the items the OP listed above. I have a Treo 680 that I'd love to dump, but as a business phone it has way too many features that I need that the Pre simply doesn't offer yet. Don't get me wrong, I really would love to justify getting the Pre, but as it stands, it simply isn't the 'business' phone it needs to be for us to switch. I think Palm has a winner here and I hope they are listening to the public in forums like this... but I also worry that they will simply be the Palm of the past and arrogantly choose their path for themselves instead of letting demand drive them (which is why they are in the position they are in now).

I've had several Palm devices through the years - I've been totally loyal because I loved their devices. But until the Pre addresses the fine-tuning of the missing and/or needed changes.... I and my company will pass on them. Which really sucks.
    I think everyone is being a bit harsh on the OP. The reality is that the PIM functions are greatly diminished.

I like my Pre, I loved my Treo (680, I had it for 3 years). I am hopeful that Pre will improve to the level of calendar & text management that Treo had.

I always thought of iphone as an ipod with a phone, blackberry as an email device with phone and palm as an information manager with phone. In this respect, I think Palm let a great number of people down since the information management functionality is pretty mediocre; that said, I am confident that they will get it fixed.

I'm giving it til the end of the year and if I still cannot search my calendar, edit or delete an individual session of a recurring appt and copy/paste/forward pieces of my calendar to text, I will consider a phone that can.

FWIW, Sprint is much better than AT&T, so I don't see leaving. Maybe the Sprint Android phone will be some competition for Palm to get the Pre functioning better.
    I think people (myself included) are getting palm os people confused with webos. Its a different system. Remember palmos was bought by Access. Webos is former apple guys/gals. I'm not confident in the updates fixing all the basic problems. I remember when I first bought an HTC touch the GPS function via rom update by HTC wasn't available until almost 7 months later. Hopefully the pre doesn't take that route
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    The Pre is great. But if they don't fix the stupid alerts going off while ON a phone call. It may be a deal breaker.I waited a long time for the Pre to come out. Which also means Palm had a long time to fix these problems spoken of here. Palm has a following of people that have specific needs. Many of the Palm users are business oriented. They should have consulted with them as they developed the Pre. Imho
    I do love that there are so many new apps on the homebrew arena. Way to go and thumbs up to all the "developers".
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast