1.    #1  
    Hello you lucky Pre Owners,

I have a Sprint Centro and an unlocked GSM Centro. I use the Sprint one all the time and move stuff to the GSM one when I travel out of the country. I don't hot-sync the GSM one (to avoid "issues") so I get data from my Sprint one to the GSM one via IR (and sometimes via the SD card, but that can mess up some times). [Is there IR with the Pre? - I don't know.]

I've yet to get a Palm Pre (I can't upgrade until December) and I don't really want to leave Sprint or buy an unlocked GSM Pre, so I would like to move data from my eventual Sprint Pre back to my unlocked GSM Centro.

By "data" I mean all the PIM apps (including, of course, memo and tasks - but I understand there are problems of some sort with these) and also data from Splash ID (which I think is available or soon will be for the Pre).

I'm thinking I could export this data and then import it, but the IR method guarantees all the data is exactly in the correct format and won't overwrite existing data on the GSM phone.

And, of course, after the trip, assuming I've changed my PIM (and SplashID) data, I'd need to get it back to the Pre.

So, any advice/comment on moving data back and forth like this?

Thanks.

Oh, aside - the lack of desktop sync and an SD card slot (and thus difficult back up and restore [particularly when out of range], the lack of cut and past from web pages, and the lack of e-mail search seems like a huge mistake to me, and I'm almost thankful that I cannot upgrade right now. I cannot fathom how Palm could do this. [I guess the cut/paste, search issue could get solved with software, and maybe the desk top too, but that looks problematic from what I read, but the lack of an SD card just utterly baffles me.]
  2.    #2  
    Bump
    I think there are some things you could possibly do, but frankly, it won't be easy or convenient. WebOS is not PalmOS, and there isn't any kind of easy conversion.

I think your best bet would be to try to use an Exchange server. That would keep you in sync via EAS quite painlessly.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I think there are some things you could possibly do, but frankly, it won't be easy or convenient. WebOS is not PalmOS, and there isn't any kind of easy conversion.

I think your best bet would be to try to use an Exchange server. That would keep you in sync via EAS quite painlessly.
    Thanks for responding.

Actually, I hardly know a thing about Exchange servers. I gather it's software that a "company" runs and you get an account on it. I don't think my university runs this. Can I run it on my own local PC or is it wildly expensive? I'll look it up on-line to see if this is something I could do.

I don't want to change to AT&T and get a GMS Pre as it's way more expensive than Sprint (particularly as I get a business discount with Sprint) and I've not heard good things about the AT&T network.
    Checkout this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/officia...s-classic.html

You can use goosync to sync all your PIM on the Centro to Gmail. Once you do that, when you eventually get a Pre, all you will have to do is sync to your gmail account and then all your PIM will be transferred to the Pre...

Another free option is of course to sync your Centro to Outlook and then use the PIM transfer tool that you can download from Palm to transfer you outllook contacts to the Pre. Is there any reason why you do not want to sync to your desktop?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  6.    #6  
    Thanks, gfunkmagic ,
    I sure wish there were a desktop for the Pre. I can't fathom Palm did not do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgabel_pi View Post
    Thanks, gfunkmagic ,
    I sure wish there were a desktop for the Pre. I can't fathom Palm did not do this.
    yeah I'm kinda annoyed about this as well. FYI, motionapps has indicated that they are planning on instituting hotsync support for the Classic app so there should be palm desktop sync support for the Pre in the future...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions