1.    #1  
    Maybe some of the Homebrew developers can chime in here....

It's no surprise at this point that some of the Homebrew apps are going to find their way to the official Palm catalog; they are very well done, and deserve to be there.

My question is: Are there any plans to reward the loyalty and support of people who donated for some of these apps when they were in the Homebrew catalog?

I don't know how I feel yet about the idea of having to pay for something after I thought it was a worthwhile-enough app that I donated something, when many were enjoying it for free; in effect, I'll end up paying more in the end.

I love what one developer did by offering lifetime upgrades to those who agreed to a minimum (and, considering the value and polish of his app, extremely fair) donation.

I firmly believe in supporting devs. If you haven't gotten a donation from me, it's because I haven't used your app enough to judge it yet, or you aren't accepting donations. In some cases, I'll be sending even MORE by way of donations for apps for which I've already donated simply because they exceeded my expectations. Anyway, back to my question....
    I imagine that the dev community keeps track of who supports them and will keep that in mind when they offer the non-beta versions of their apps through the App Catalog. At least that's what I'd do.
    This is what happens when people "redefine" the meaning of words. When you donated, you gave them the money, and should have been expecting nothing in return, other than what you were immediately given. You were not "pre-purchasing" the software ahead of its release on the Apps Catalog. You were donating the money.

Unfortunately, many have decided to redefine what that word means, so it's basically become a word without a real meaning, or at least a commonly understood meaning.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Might have better luck where it's more relevant.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-software-chat/
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    This is what happens when people "redefine" the meaning of words. When you donated, you gave them the money, and should have been expecting nothing in return, other than what you were immediately given. You were not "pre-purchasing" the software ahead of its release on the Apps Catalog. You were donating the money.

Unfortunately, many have decided to redefine what that word means, so it's basically become a word without a real meaning, or at least a commonly understood meaning.
    I hear ya. I don't expect anything in return, so while I think it would stink that I may be doling out more money in the end (donating, paying, whatever ), I understand why. Truth is, though, that it's the developers who gave us something expecting nothing in return. I just think, if it were me, I would be very mindful of those who supported my efforts when they didn't have to; but that's just me.

Now I'm kind of wondering if I should continue donating, or as I said before, adding to previous donations for apps I've found very valuable. I guess I should just wait to see which apps go commercial, and which don't.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    Might have better luck where it's more relevant.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-software-chat/
    Thanks; I actually wanted to post in the Homebrew Apps forum, since that's probably most appropriate, but I don't have permission.

Can one of the mods move this somewhere they think is more fitting?