View Poll Results: When sending your Pre to Palm for repair, are you;

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Receiving your original Pre back repaired.

0 0%
  • Receiving a new Pre.

5 25.00%
  • Receiving a different referbished Pre.

16 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm just curious of those of you who sent your Pre directly to Palm for repair (not advanced replacement) are you getting your Pre back repaired, a new Pre or a different refurbished Pre? Also what sort of turnaround time are you seeing when sending it in?

Only reason I ask is that I purchased my Pre on 6/16/09 and never had problems with it that I thought required replacement. I had the battery reset issue (fixed with cardboard), and slight wiggle to the screen but nothing major. Last weekend I slide the Pre open and the screen shattered from center button. Long story short, Sprint said it's my fault; 3 times they told me this including a supervisor in the retention department.

I did some research here before paying the $120 to replace it and decided to call Palm, they told me it's not "normally" covered but were going to replace/repair my Pre free of charge. I have a backup phone that I activated while they do whatever it is they do with them. They received it yesterday (8/19) so now I guess I wait.

Oh and the large corporation i work for has a sprint account rep who was very concerned about the screen cracking issue, I sent her links to the article here and on Palms forum as well as a picture of my Pre. She had a meeting with 2 Palm Engineers and a Sprint engineer but I never heard anything after that. I think Iíll follow up with her and see what she says. Probably because it appears that Palm has already addressed those issues.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I have not had a return to Palm yet, but what i've been reading is it depends on what they have available......it's a crap shoot!! I have noticed, with my Pre anyway, is that Sprint is not doing very well in making right with the defective phones. It is very, very aggravating!! Good luck, let us know what you find out
    It costs $120 to replace the pre, wow! Why would I pay $7/month insurance + $100 deductible... I guess its only worth it if your phone is lost or stolen, I don't think that qualifies as a replacement. Anyone know?
    It depends on the Sprint store/site. When I returned my Pre for a HW issue, the Sprint store was awesome. They first gave me a new battery and told me to work with it for a week and if the problem continued, to return to the store for a new Pre. Week later, problem reoccurred. Went back to the Sprint store and I was given a new one (not refurbished). Great CS at that Sprint store. No haggles, no supervisor needed. This was unheard of in a Sprint store a few yrs ago (lol).

Don't know what a direct return to Palm will result in?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pre n00b View Post
    It costs $120 to replace the pre, wow! Why would I pay $7/month insurance + $100 deductible... I guess its only worth it if your phone is lost or stolen, I don't think that qualifies as a replacement. Anyone know?
    Palm will only cover a warranty issue defects. They will not replace a damaged, water damaged, lost, or stolen phone. That's what the TEP or other insurances are for.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    As I have been saying, they are considering the loose screen cosmetic, not a defect. I WAS ABLE TO FIX MINE.....WHOO HOOO. It's nice and tight now, no wobble at all!!
    They will send you a compltely different REFURB unit.

They call it a repair, but from experience, its a swap exchange.

Also, sending the unit in, it will take you about a 3 week turnaround (no joke)

Its always best to request an advanced exchange $30 bucks to have them send on first (and evn then it takes up to 1 week)

Palmis slow with warranty exchanges
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    They will send you a compltely different REFURB unit.

They call it a repair, but from experience, its a swap exchange.

Its always best to request an advanced exchange $30 bucks to have them send on first (and evn then it takes up to 1 week)

Palmis slow with warranty exchanges

Palm is not alone in this: Generally, it is much cheaper to send a refurb which can be anything from a returned phone that reset to factor to specs to a "frankstien" phone which is taking the good parts from a broken phone and make a good one out of it.

So, refurb from the factory is suppose to be a phone that meets the same critieria as a new phone only it isn't new.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
  9.    #9  
    HOLY CRAP, 3 weeks?!?!? The Palm rep told me a week max which is why i chose this method, I sure hope I don't have to wait 3 weeks thats insain! ugh...

I shipped it to them Monday, it arrived Tuesday and was checked in yesterday around noon per the Palm service tracking system.
    I've done two insurance swaps for hardware malfunctions through Sprint (blown speakers both times). The first one showed up in a refurb box however was not classified as a refurb when I put in ##786#. The one I received yesterday is indeed a refurb and has the grey foam tape in the battery chamber.
    Quote Originally Posted by jboucicaut View Post
    I've done two insurance swaps for hardware malfunctions through Sprint (blown speakers both times). The first one showed up in a refurb box however was not classified as a refurb when I put in ##786#. The one I received yesterday is indeed a refurb and has the grey foam tape in the battery chamber.
    Hows the quality? Like, would you have noticed its a refurb without ##786#?
    Quote Originally Posted by jschramm97 View Post
    HOLY CRAP, 3 weeks?!?!? The Palm rep told me a week max which is why i chose this method, I sure hope I don't have to wait 3 weeks thats insain! ugh...

I shipped it to them Monday, it arrived Tuesday and was checked in yesterday around noon per the Palm service tracking system.
    I will bet you, your turn around will be 2-3 weeks.

Want to bet?
  13.    #13  

Want to bet?
    Nope i'm good, as long as i get it back before my second daughter is born (oct 24th) I'll be okay.. Cause i cannot live a with this flipping WinMo phone much longer! I forgot how much these suck.. ugh
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Nope i'm good, as long as i get it back before my second daughter is born (oct 24th) I'll be okay.. Cause i cannot live a with this flipping WinMo phone much longer! I forgot how much these suck.. ugh
    Congrats on your new little girl!
    Oct 24? Oct 25th is my birthday!

Lol, congrats on your daughter, shell be very smart, I can tell by her birth date
  16.    #16  
    Oct 24? Oct 25th is my birthday!

Lol, congrats on your daughter, shell be very smart, I can tell by her birth date
    Thanks! We shall see, My first daughter was born one day before her due date (2/12/08).

Now what would be awesome is if Palm releases the Video Capture before October, then i won't have to bring anything but my Pre to the hospital,oh and the wife of course. The first time I think I had 20 different gadgets with me none of which ended up being used since it they got left in the car in the excitement of the moment, except for my crappy WinMo (HTC Mogul) phone i'm carrying now...
  17.    #17  

Want to bet?
    I should have bet, less then a week turn around time.. .
    I should have bet, less then a week turn around time.. .
    wait- for a REPAIR ORDER?

not an advance exchange where they mail you one first right? ..the one that costs $29.99?
    also, how is the build quality on your refurb?

I see an internal screen crack on my 3rd replacement, (internal- looks like a spider web nothing visable outside) ...I called it in and waiting on my 4th replacement soon.

ugh, I hate having to redo my mods and apps
  20.    #20  
    It's the free option, i mailed my Pre over night the 17th, they overnighted a refurb back on the 24th.

The build quality is okay, the screen is a bit looser then my original one, but it has the foam insert battery fix and looks perfect.

Yeah i'm still redoing all my mods/apps as well. I was able to back up my music and such off my old one and it's in okay shape.

My only complaint is Sprint's response and the fact that the Pre didn't have WebOS when i got it back. Which reloading via WebOS Doctor worked.

Did you see the pictures?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast