1.    #1  
    Hiya... I'm looking to possibly make the step to the Pre, but have one MAJOR concern. I have heard that the Pre cannot open email attachments and that you must download them to your computer first to view them. Is this true? I'm running a Treo 680 right now and as a business phone, this is an absolute necessity. If I receive an email through an Exchange server from work and it has a file attached (ie: doc, spreadsheet, pdf, etc) can you view them on the Pre directly from the email?

I'm trying to justify jumping carriers and moving to the Pre, but this is an absolute deal-breaker for me if true. Hopefully, someone out there can shed some light on this for me. Also, are MS documents viewable (word, excel, etc) on the Pre?

Thanks in advance, and hoping to get some good news that will allow me to make the jump to this device!
    Yes, they are viewable on the Pre.
  3.    #3  
    which? MS documents, or attachments in general?

I guess the major question I'm looking for an answer on is if you can download and few email attachments directly on the Pre. Are email attachments viewable?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    If you are using e-mail app on the phone, .DOC .DOCX .PPT .PPTX, .XLS .XLSX .PDF attachments get special row in the header with clip symbol and file name. You have to tap that row once to download the attachment to temp folder (progress of download shows in the background of the file name). Once the attachment is downloaded, tapping file name again opens it using Pre's appropriate viewer application.
    As it is mentioned many times in other threads, this procedure does not work if you are using Pre's web browser to read e-mail.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks jaroslawk,

That helps... as for the "mentioned many times in other threads", sorry to post the question again. I searched the threads and didn't see an answer to my question about email. Many of the threads I've read (here and elsewhere) talked about not being able to view attachments, but didn't differentiate between being a browser vs. email application issue. Thanks for the clarification.
    Hi, I'm having problems viewing two different email attachments sent to my gmail account, one with a .xls file and one with a .jpg file. I know they're there, because I can open them on my iphone 3gs. the emails have a paperclip on them, so I know the message has an attachment. When I open the email using the email app on the Pre, there is no way for me to open the attachment! It is grayed out. There is no area I can click to download the attachment and click again to view it, as I've read you can do. I've been really frustrated with it. I've reset the PRE, updated it, erased and re-added my gmail account, nothing! What am I doing wrong?
    I've had my Pre since day one, and I have never been able to open a .pps attachment on my Pre, the file downloads to the temp folder and it opens the docview applications but it just stays loading. Anybody have an issue like this?, now or before?

please let me know thank you
    How does one actually download ringtone attachmets? it shows that you can play them but not save them? i searched and nothing can anyone help?
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I too have been searching the phones files and directories trying to find where the downloaded attachments go. I had an mp3 files emailed to my phone and I wanted to move it so the music player can play it rather then only being able to hear it through the email.

Let me know if anyone has this same problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by lehmeier View Post
    I too have been searching the phones files and directories trying to find where the downloaded attachments go. I had an mp3 files emailed to my phone and I wanted to move it so the music player can play it rather then only being able to hear it through the email.

Let me know if anyone has this same problem.
    I'm trying to find the path that attachments are saved to as well. Specifically music files. I went skimming around using Internalz but there are just too many folders (assuming that it's somewhere not in /media/internal). Has anyone had luck finding the directory path where these attachments are saved? I wish Internalz had search...
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaroslawk View Post
    If you are using e-mail app on the phone, .DOC .DOCX .PPT .PPTX, .XLS .XLSX .PDF attachments get special row in the header with clip symbol and file name. You have to tap that row once to download the attachment to temp folder (progress of download shows in the background of the file name). Once the attachment is downloaded, tapping file name again opens it using Pre's appropriate viewer application.
    As it is mentioned many times in other threads, this procedure does not work if you are using Pre's web browser to read e-mail.
    MANY times these do not open in regular email. I a looking all over trying to figure out why. I have emailed myself an excel spreadsheet that opens fine when I USB it in but not as an email attachment. Happens regularly with docs. Wavs jpgs and mp3s usually ok...

I get the no application to open this file or whatever...message
    Last edited by hdhuntr; 01/26/2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: added
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    I am running into the same issue on my Pre Plus. Just get "No application available to view file" or something like that and the attachment is not downloaded or emails that should have attachments don't...
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Hiya... I'm looking to possibly make the step to the Pre, but have one MAJOR concern. I have heard that the Pre cannot open email attachments and that you must download them to your computer first to view them. Is this true? I'm running a Treo 680 right now and as a business phone, this is an absolute necessity. If I receive an email through an Exchange server from work and it has a file attached (ie: doc, spreadsheet, pdf, etc) can you view them on the Pre directly from the email?

I'm trying to justify jumping carriers and moving to the Pre, but this is an absolute deal-breaker for me if true. Hopefully, someone out there can shed some light on this for me. Also, are MS documents viewable (word, excel, etc) on the Pre?

Thanks in advance, and hoping to get some good news that will allow me to make the jump to this device!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaroslawk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by easd0423 View Post
    I am running into the same issue on my Pre Plus. Just get "No application available to view file" or something like that and the attachment is not downloaded or emails that should have attachments don't...
    It appears that WebOS 1.4 fixed this issue with me... I've had my Pre since day one... Sometimes when an e-mail was sent to me, it wouldn't even show a document was attached. Other times it would, yet it wouldn't download and open w/o error. For the times it showed as attached it would download, but wouldn't directly open. I had to open the Doc Viewer app and then click menu > open and find the file.

Early last week, I specifically remember being frustrated that two e-mails weren't showing the attachment. After reading these posts I went back to those e-mails and they are now (post 1.4) showing the attachment. And best of all they opened directly to the Doc Viewer!

I'll post back in due time if my situation changes.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here