Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    As beautiful as it is, I'm wondering if anyone had any revelations as to how sturdy the Pre is. Have you dropped it, etc.? How'd it fare? I really don't want to get some crappy case for mine that bulks it up. I keep it in a pocket with nothing else in it and aside from the oil from my hands greasing up the screen at times, I'd like to keep it in good shape. So I'd like to hear your stories and see if I should get a case or not.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I put on a skin (bestskinsever) to protect it from scratches-otherwise thats it. I carry it around wherever, my 4 year plays with it, dropped it a few times- no problems. I think its all about luck though- there is always some chance that a big drop will break it (like with any phone), but so far so good. Its been great.
    im still naked.

Only using the pouch it came with occasionally...
    no problems so far, but i am very aware of which side the screen is facing in my pocket. Also I have dropped it from about 4 ft onto tile in the bathroom at work...sucked cause I had to get it and it was right next to the urinal...

off topic: do people seriously pull their pubes out while waiting to pee in a urinal or is it they fall out with age or what?

sorry...but it survived with NO marks or dings so...yeah don't drop it near a urinal. YUCK!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    The rivets above your pocket on your jeans will cause sadness if you're not too careful.

My old Moto Q was beat up pretty badly over the two years I used it. This phone will never take the abuse.

Give it a good toss or drop it on the sidewalk, it will most likely crack or chip. Small cracks and chips will eventually become big ones, just like a car's windshield.

Protect your phone with a case or you'll regret it.

I did the pouch thing for a few days but realized I looked like a total boob reaching into my pocket and pulling my phone out of this tiny soft pouch every five seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    im still naked.

Only using the pouch it came with occasionally...
    no problems so far, but i am very aware of which side the screen is facing in my pocket.
    which side should the screen be facing in one's pocket?
    I'm slowly using my pouch less and less as the new phone feeling wears off. I'm getting a screen protector and will prob. go sans pouch for a bit.
    I had a real scare yesterday. I was on a balcony and water from an a/c unit on a balcony above me deposited one single drop of water to the upper right hand corner of my pre as I was texting. I quickly cleaned it off but within a min or so it began to try to turn on the power / airplane mode. After 10 more min, the power button was completely unresponsive. After a half hour it slowly started to work again.

I was really shocked and have a new repect for moisture and this phone. I treat this phone like no other, it is always tucked in its pouch.

I use to answer my old phone ( samsung a900 ) in the shower with no problem, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolgreany View Post
    which side should the screen be facing in one's pocket?
    screen facing in to your thigh...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    A few drops already (Mostly carpet, 1 on linoleum) and everything has been AOK.
    It seems like a tough device to me. I have sloppily dropped mine at least three times, from waist height or higher, straight to a hard surface floor. I have noticed no structural alignment problems when opening and closing, and no differences in operation as of yet.
    Got mine knocked out of my handed from my 1 yr old the other day. Survived a 1-2 foot drop and slide on wood laminate flooring and no problems. Only thing I have on it is the Invisible Shield.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    The Pre is much more durable then I expected, I have dropped it numerous times. The most notable time was when I was riding my motorcycle and stopped at a gas station. I was sitting on my motorcycle and pulled the pre out of my jacket pocket and of course it slipped out of my hand and hit the concrete from a good 5 feet off the ground. The battery cover came off and the battery popped out. I quickly put the bike on the sidestand and picked up the pre to examine it. The battery cover had a fairly nasty rash on it (which was taken care of with a touchstone battery cover) but otherwise the phone was unscathed. If the phone landed differently the outcome would have likely been much worse but I am still impressed.

There have been numerous other drops but they were on carpet or when the Pre was in its pouch so those aren't really anything notable.

The Pre isn't a brick like the Instinct I had before it but I will give up some durability for a a much nicer phone anyday.
    I dropped mine once - about 3 - 4 feet onto an asphalt parking lot. I using the Pre to take pictures at a car show. It got very hot an humid causing the Pre to slip from my hands. It ended up face down, but everything remained together. I picked it up and saw no damage to the screen. I have tiny nicks in 2 areas on the front edge of the phone that are hardly noticeable. Everything continues to operate perfectly. This is a very rugged phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    The rivets above your pocket on your jeans will cause sadness if you're not too careful.

My old Moto Q was beat up pretty badly over the two years I used it. This phone will never take the abuse.
    My old Moto Q was a beast as well. It survived two years of College with city living on top of that.

If my pre received half of the abuse my Q endured, it would be in pieces.
    first day I had mine I was sitting on the couch eating a salad for lunch. a text came in so I set my salad down on the coffee table, grabbed the pre, read and responded to the text, slid it shut, and as I reached out to sit it down on the pouch, it literally shot out of my hand and landed screen first in my salad lol
    luckily it was a soft landing. cleaned it up with a soft papertowel and everything was fine...just smelled like ranch for the rest of the day

btw...I have a screen protector on mine (pack of 5 for like 5 bucks at wal-mart) and just use the pouch it came with.