Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ret2961 View Post
    lot of interest, no activity...
    wish I were smarter...
    lol.
    I second that.
    did anyone ever make something that does this :S
    they did not. but to tide you over, try cowbell or iFart. It's almost the same thing.
    Bump!
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I would love a app like this too, I only wish I was smart enough to create one.
    come on developersss, shine some light on this one.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Palm should make it. They'd get more recruiters for WebOS. Who's gonna show off a phone with stuff they want to hide on it?
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Palm should make it. They'd get more recruiters for WebOS. Who's gonna show off a phone with stuff they want to hide on it?
    lol soo true
    This would be a great capability. I hope that it would be developed soon
  10.    #70  
    i do too but this thread is burried deep
    Is this dead??? I thought someone was developing this???
    Quote Originally Posted by sugaman View Post
    Is this dead??? I thought someone was developing this???
    I wishhh!!
  13.    #73  
    yea my thread died sometime ago lol I wish it hadn't lol
    Well let's resurrect it, this app needs to be developed yesterday. Willing to pay!!!!!!!!
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    I'm also willing to pay$$$
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Another idea...modification of the above password protected launcher page idea above. Let's invert the idea...

In Palm OS, I had a secondary launcher app, KidZone, for the kids, in which you could put configure to show certain app shortcuts. It would prevent the user from "leaving" to the other launcher unless you put in the password (although my kid kept managing to do it, don't know how).

Maybe the WebOS internalz group could leverage their community building skills by developing a standard DAO and basing a Launcher modification around it. (making a second Launcher would make less sense here).

1. develop launcher patch ("DemoZone") that wouldn't let the user "leave"; only apps that are WebOS DemoZone-approved (tm) would show when the patch is turned on.
    2. develop a robust standardized data access method/layer that dev's could incorporate into their apps. Apps using these methods would have (1) app-level activate/deactivate of inclusion into DemoZone and (2) record-level private settings of which records would be shown if DemoZone patch is on.

Thus, if someone wanted to play with your phone, you could activate the patch, and only the DemoZone-approved apps would show. In each of these apps, only your non-private records would be accessible.

A potential downside would be that Palm's own built-in apps would most likely not use this DAO, but third-party replacements are becoming more common, and even preferred (thank god Palm isn't Apple!!!). I'm thinking notably of media players or contact lists.

Another potential problem would be how to short-circuit the universal search, for "private" contacts, for example. Perhaps an additional patch to filter the results to NOT include contacts with ##p## in the notes, or something like that?
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
  17.    #77  
    that's a pretty good idea
    I hate having people or young kids having to want to play around with my pre and wanting to be to curious and go thru my pics and messages and all my other important documents..someone really needs to make an app or patch for this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximo_ View Post
    I'd buy it!

My ideal vision for a locking app would work like this:

You open the app and it displays a list of every app and directory on the phone. You just check the ones you want locked (like you can check stuff off in the "Tasks" app). For Instance, I open the app and place a check next to:

Email
    Doc View
    My Vacation Pics (A directory I created for my vacation photos)

Then I close the app and whenever I click on the email or doc view icons, it asks me for my password. Similarly, I can use the Pictures app without a password, but if I tried to view any picture in the "My Vacation Pics" directory, it would ask me for my password before continuing.

If I ever wanted to remove the password on that picture directory, I just open up the app and uncheck the box next to it.
    +1 This would be a LIFESAVER. Like many of you here, I'm pretty paranoid about my texts... I think that's a justifiable fear, and we need something like this. Something like "Lockdown" on jailbroken iPhones (btw, it's a good app if any of you have a jailbroken iPhone or iPod touch, which is probably not many of you)
    Hell, I'd be wiling to pay a good amount for this...
    Still nothing...what a shame, when there's 25 versions of farting programs.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast