1.    #1  
    Hi folks. I have been installing some homebrew apps thanks to the very talented developers on this site . My question is, when you are done installing apps, do you leave the developer mode on or do you turn it off when you're done? Thanks for your inut.
    No!
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    It has been recommended that it be turned off for security reasons.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    If you're using Filecoaster, you can turn it off and still upload apps. I did that since people said Dev mode should be off d/t security.
    Security again... You do realize, in order to telnet into the phone, an amazing amount of things have to happen right? First, someone has to have your USB cable, or one compatible with the Pre, second, they have to have the Palm Web OS doctor with novacom installed, third they have to have the talk.py script to get the Pre ready to telnet, and fourth they have to somehow get your IP address. Assuming you set up OpenSSH or Dropbear, then they can't even login without the correct login and password, nor the IP address, and if you set it up to where you can only connect to the phone via wifi, they have to be on your actual network to even TRY to get in to the login prompt, and then, they're still lacking login and password, and root doesn't work. So really, what security issues are there? What are the odds of the stars aligning just right so that all of this can happen? I leave my phone in developer mode at all times, someone try to hack me.
    yeah, its like fort knox. But i have nothing of importance in my pre so what do i know?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Security again... You do realize, in order to telnet into the phone, an amazing amount of things have to happen right? First, someone has to have your USB cable, or one compatible with the Pre, second, they have to have the Palm Web OS doctor with novacom installed, third they have to have the talk.py script to get the Pre ready to telnet, and fourth they have to somehow get your IP address. Assuming you set up OpenSSH or Dropbear, then they can't even login without the correct login and password, nor the IP address, and if you set it up to where you can only connect to the phone via wifi, they have to be on your actual network to even TRY to get in to the login prompt, and then, they're still lacking login and password, and root doesn't work. So really, what security issues are there? What are the odds of the stars aligning just right so that all of this can happen? I leave my phone in developer mode at all times, someone try to hack me.
    bingo! my thoughts exactly
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Lol good reply. BUT... That big *** always sticks itself out there right when you thought you were out the door...

Filecoaster... Neat program, works well, awesome, right!? Well, would you believe me if I told you that there is a back door through the port that filecoaster uses? All one would have to do, is accesss/ send you a file (bug, roach, virus, trojan, whatever you wanna call it) and let filecoaster do the damage for you. So yes, all of that is pretty close, but a real hacker thinks outside the box, and sometimes finds a way to get around the "Solar Alignment" and just takes the worm hole to his dream destination. Your Pre is a mobile computer. My first computers processor ran at 500MHZ. Now it fits in your pocket! Linux is by far the hackers FAV. OS to play with, so you know, anything is possible
    Keep Brewing All Ye Homebrew Underground!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I would just like to point out that the OP didn't necessarily say "what should I do" but asked "what do you guys do?" So I answered him.

I don't NEED Dev mode on to use the phone, so I turn it off because I saw someone mention it could be a security issue. Do I know if that's true? Not a clue. Do I think there are other ways people could get into my phone if they wanted to? Sure, I'm willing to bet there are plenty of hackers out there who get in my phone if they wanted. Do I really care that much? Nope.

If someone hacks into my phone, what are they going to do - brick the thing? I'll get a new one. Steal my info? Have fun reading my text messages or my Gmail... you'll learn I shop at Bed Bath and Beyond, what concerts Ticketmaster suggests to me, and that I buy too much stuff from Etsy. Get my phone list? Have fun pranking my mom. Figure out my passwords to Facebook? Oh no - please don't post something naughty as my status!! I don't do banking from my phone, I don't have anything on the phone that I would DIE without, and I'll survive (althouhg be annoyed) if someone hacks into it.

But if there's a simple flick of a switch that may provide me with 1% less chance it could happen, and I have no reason to leave that switch on, why not do it?

And even if it doesn't do anything to help, can't I at least answer the OP honestly when they ask what other users do do?

Sorry - I truly don't mean for this post to sound rude, and I'm not trying to rant. That's not my intention at all.... just posting some thoughts.
    Last edited by Ditdah; 08/20/2009 at 08:09 AM. Reason: My spelling looks like a monkey on crack typed my posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditdah View Post
    I would just like to point out that the OP didn't necessarily say "what should I do" but asked "what do you guys do?" So I answered him.

I don't NEED Dev mode on to use the phone, so I turn it off because I saw someone mention it could be a security issue. Do I know if that's true? Not a clue. Do I think there are other ways people could get into my phone if they wanted to? Sure, I'm willing to bet there are plenty of hackers out there who get in my phone if they wanted. Do I really care that much? Nope.

If someone hacks into my phone, what are they going to do - brick the thing? I'll get a new one. Steal my info? Have fun reading my text messages or my Gmail... you'll learn I shop at Bed Bath and Beyond, what concerts Ticketmaster suggests to me, and that I buy too much stuff from Etsy. Get my phone list? Have fun pranking my mom. Figure out my passwords to Facebook? Oh no - please don't post something naughty as my status!! I don't do banking from my phone, I don't have anything on the phone that I would DIE without, and I'll survive (althouhg be annoyed) if someone hacks into it.

But if there's a simple flick of a switch that may provide me with 1% less chance it could happen, and I have no reason to leave that switch on, why not do it?

And even if it doesn't do anything to help, can't I at least answer the OP honestly when they ask what other users do do?

Sorry - I truly don't mean for this post to sound rude, and I'm not trying to rant. That's not my intention at all.... just posting some thoughts.
    I understand, to a degree. My point is that its just paranoia.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    What is the procedure to turn the developer mode off? I only can find instructions for turning it on. Is it the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by flunkn View Post
    What is the procedure to turn the developer mode off? I only can find instructions for turning it on. Is it the same?
    Same procedure.
    There's a homebrew app, downloadable through Filecoaster, to toggle dev mode:

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...vmode-launcher

Personally I leave it off as I do not need it.