1.    #1  
    I am away this week, working in NYC. So now more than ever I rely on my phone more than ever.

Im sitting in my hotel/apartment, about to make a call, when I start to slide Pre open, then remember I dont need to open, as the number i need is on my quick dialer. So I press the top button to light up the screen to get to my launcher.

And to my horror, it does not light up. Im like hmmmm, so I go slide it open, NOTHING, BLACK SCREEN! Trying not to freak out, press the top button again NADA!

I open the back, remove and replace the battery, try again NOTHING!!

OMG, WTF? Huh?

I plug in to the usb cable that is already dangling on my laptop, and after a few I see teh boot screen come up, and the phone reboots and seems fine

Any CLUE what Bizarro Universe I just visited here?

I NO LIKE DIS PLACE!
    Funny because the same thing happened to me today as well. And my PRE was very warm. I had charged it overnight and at work by 6 AM and at 10 AM was going to check stuff and black screen. I had to do the restart with holding down and the slide the button three times to get it to actually restart. Then when I looked at it my battery was down to 20%, I was like what the heck is going on. So needless to say, I haven't used my phone all day today since the battery died. Which has never happened even under some heavy usage days.
    What was the battery level when the phone booted up. The pre will shut off when power is low or if it is overheating. I have my pre overheat after leaving it i the car during the afternoon while on vaca at disney. Came back and it would not turn on and the phone was hot to the touch. Let it cool down under the ac and botted with no problem. No other issues since.
    Mine Too Has Been acting A Little Strange. When Swiping Up On The Luncher It Kinda Got Stuck In Between The Top And Bottom And Just Went Up And Down. My Cards Also Seem To Get Stuck Half Way Up.......Weird
  5.    #5  
    Battery was just about full. I had not used it all day, I was working. I had gotten back to where I am staying and just resting when decided to start making calls.

When it rebooted the battery was still almost full
    Theory: Mine did something similar except the screen was ON. I had asked Sprint to push a PRL update to my phone... I had nothing better to do than to watch the phone for a little while and I noticed a STRANGE icon (looked like three bricks, staggered next to each other) in the notification field of the Pre. The phone would NOT respond at all... after about 60 seconds, it suddenly rebooted itself. I wonder if the other experiences are just because the screen was off already, versus my screen which remained on during the process? Remember, you can get PRL updates automatically from the network, not just by pulling it... Just my theory.
    Lee Ladisky
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    I am away this week, working in NYC. So now more than ever I rely on my phone more than ever.

Im sitting in my hotel/apartment, about to make a call, when I start to slide Pre open, then remember I dont need to open, as the number i need is on my quick dialer. So I press the top button to light up the screen to get to my launcher.

And to my horror, it does not light up. Im like hmmmm, so I go slide it open, NOTHING, BLACK SCREEN! Trying not to freak out, press the top button again NADA!

I open the back, remove and replace the battery, try again NOTHING!!

OMG, WTF? Huh?

I plug in to the usb cable that is already dangling on my laptop, and after a few I see teh boot screen come up, and the phone reboots and seems fine

Any CLUE what Bizarro Universe I just visited here?

I NO LIKE DIS PLACE!
    same thing happened to me....i opened the keyboard and nothing....so wut i did was pressed the power button twice and it came up!!
    OH BOY!!!! Mine did the same thing last night!!!! I had just sent a text to someone and then put the phone down....after about 10 minutes, I thought "Boy, that's strange.....why didn't she text me back yet?" I picked up the phone, pushed up the slider.....DARK SCREEN.....I hit the power button....NOTHING...I hit the space bar which I usually use to power up......NOTHING!......By now I break into a cold sweat (literally).....I run out to my car and plug the phone into the charger.....NOTHING....... Now I am starting to panic because the Pre is my primary communication source. Plus a girl friend of mine sent me a picture that......well......you know.......and all I could think of was the creepy Sprint reps in the back downloading it to their private collections if I had to take the phone in.....

I took off the back cover carefully....pulled out the battery.....counted 30 seconds....said a "Hail Mary" and then put the battery back in.....in 3 seconds, the familiar "palm" logo popped up.....Needless to say I was relieved!! The phone battery was about 58% percent and the phone was not hot. I have no clue what happened, but I hope it doesn't happen again!

Also.....the picture was removed from the phone immediately!!!

Any clue what happened in my case????
    Hmmmm.... same thing happened to me about two weeks ago. I do not remember what I was doing last, but I picked up the Pre from my desk and slid out the keyboard... nothing. I hit the power button... nothing. I tried both methods repeatedly... nothing. I opened the back, took out the battery for 30 seconds, and then replaced the battery. The Pre booted. It worried me, but I kept the phone and have not had it happen again. I hope that it stays that way.
    Some posters have attributed it to closing the slider. Others have had these shutdowns, like you, for no apparent reason. I've read suppositions that it results from a power issue and therefore a battery problem. Some posters indicate it boots back on its own.

My experience with these shutdowns is that the phone does not boot back up until I place it on the touchstone. On occasion, it will restart with replacing the battery. It didn't happen often and I wasn't worried until last week when it shut down 3 out of 4 days. I took it into Sprint after I had placed it on the Touchstone. I described what happens, told them it was it was an intermittent problem that I couldn't attribute to any program or use. I simply would go to the phone and it would not respond in any way. I told them that I couldn't reproduce the shutdown but that every time I placed it on the charger it restarted. I told them that once I was able to restart by replacing the battery. They kept it over night. The next day, I go back and they tell me the tech couldn't reproduce the event. All they can do is document my problems.

The following day the phone goes down again. I bring it in to Sprint and tell them I'm back again because the phone is down again and I haven't tried to reboot it. I ask about the new larger battery. The guy says yes the Palm rep acknowledged it. So he starts to take the battery off and I say "if you take the battery out, it might reboot and then all you can tell me is that you can't reproduce the event." He says not a problem, takes the battery out, scans in the phone in, replaces the battery and the phone reboots when the battery is replaced. He says come back in two hours. I figure, "no problem, I'm getting a new battery." So when I come back they hand me a phone and say the tech can't reproduce the event. I shocked. I put up a little fight but I'm looking at this woman's face, and I see the store's close to closing and there's no lights on in her house. So as I'm walking out the door, I put the phone on and the theme is different. I look at the contacts and I see they gave me the wrong phone. Bottom line, all I can do is keep documenting the problem until they give me a new phone or figure out what's wrong and fix it.
    Mine did something similiar but just turned off when I tried to answer a call by taking it off the touchstone, then it wouldnt boot back up for like 5 min... I freaked out but everything turned out ok...
    happened to me when i went camping. i turned it off when we got there with still probably around 70%
    next day i turned it on to check texts/whatever for a minute then turned it off
    hour or so later driving into town i try to turn it back on and nothing happened. held the button longer but nothing. tried the ringer switch thing, nothing. remove battery and replace it, nothing. thought it was gone for good.
    later that day i try turning it on again and finally the screen comes on and shows the low battery pic.
    don't know what happened but it was draining the battery the whole time it was "off" because i know i didn't use 70% of the battery by turning it on and checking texts for all of 2 minutes...

happened again a couple weeks later when it wouldn't turn on but i was at home and plugged it in and it came on.
    Same thing happened to me this past Monday evening. I was at Landshark Stadium for the first Dolphin preseason game and for no apparent reason the phone just was total black. slider up...nothing...pushed power button...nothing...didn't panic, but thought "this is weird". Took battery out and back in, saw the Palm logo and was relieved. But it happened three times that night. I suspect it was the new 1350 battery, and have since been using the original battery. Anyone else?
    Mine has been doing that lately as well, every once in awhile. Maybe 2-3 times a week I should say. Most the time it turns off (I put a piece of paper in there to be safe, but I have had this phone for awhile now and never had a problem), every once in awhile hitting the power button a few times makes it do something funky than finally turns on. Reboot solved the problem. My Pre also randomly switched to wired headset mode on its own today.. haven't had speakers or a headset plugged into it for a few days. Restart fixed that problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeladisky View Post
    ...three bricks, staggered next to each other) in the notification field of the Pre. The phone would NOT respond at all...
    lol.

The Pre's much-hyped Notification Sytem even tries to kindly let you know when you have almost bricked your phone, huh?

In my case (not sure if this is related) my Pre goes dark for a second or two and is unresponsive some times when I try to swipe its touch screen. Like the swiping killed it for a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperpre View Post
    lol.

The Pre's much-hyped Notification Sytem even tries to kindly let you know when you have almost bricked your phone, huh?

In my case (not sure if this is related) my Pre goes dark for a second or two and is unresponsive some times when I try to swipe its touch screen. Like the swiping killed it for a second.
    Doesn't the "Demo Mode" for the in store Pre's have a three brick looking icon in the bottom left when you minimize the Demo Mode card? Hard to explain, but I am 90% sure that is what it looked like when I was messing with a Pre at the Sprint store while waiting to swap my broken headset. I wonder if the sprint store put the Demo program on it by accident and had to remove it
    the same thing happened to me while i was in Toronto a few days back....just kept pressing it and it turned back on eventually and has been working fine ever since.....kinda scary....palm needs to send out some major updates soon!!! jk....take ur time palm....but the wait better be worth it!!
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Try leaving it on the TS, which is mounted on the console of a truck, parked where the console was in direct sunlight (just under 100* ) and leave it for about 20 minutes.

It took 20 minutes to get it cooled down and power back up. I came out and realized what I did and saw it was on the Palm logo. Once cooled down, it was fine.

I guess that kind of heat isn't good? It was uncomfortable to even hold it.