1.    #1  
    I want to play my pre through my car stereo..and no not a garbage fm adapter...when will we see a car adapter that will play the pre through your car stereo and charge it at the same time?
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I'm shopping for a car stereo with bluetooth. No need for an adapter. :-)
    Obscura
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    If your head unit (radio) in your car has a usb input, you should be fine.
    It should see the Pre as a drive and charge at the same time.
    If not, you could use the headphone jack to play through a line/aux input. Charging could be thru the usb cigarrette lighter adapter.
    Here's some head units:

Car MP3 and WMA CD tuners with USB input. USB MP3 head units.
    People are already doing that now charging via car mounted Touchstone setup and streaming music via BT (A2DP) to their car stereo systems. Also if you have a aux input, you can connect Pre 3.5mm directly to your headset. That's what I've been doing and it works great!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    well palm announced a few months ago that "touchstone" will be a line of products, I'm almost certain there will be a wireless charging car holder, perhaps with stronger magnets to ensure it doesnt fall off when you hit a speed bump.
    Well ... considering the Pre doesn't have anything like the dock connector on an iphone/ipod ... I'd say never 8^). Of course you can use the headphone jack for sound, but the USB/charger port doesn't provide any audio info.

But if you really want to be cool, you can actually go it one better and have a totally wireless setup with a Touchstone in your car and using Bluetooth A2DP to your stereo. Both of these have been discussed in multiple other threads here.

The other option, is that many car stereos have a USB port these days, which can both charge your phone and also play any MP3 files that are on your Pre (if you select USB mode).
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    I want to play my pre through my car stereo..and no not a garbage fm adapter...when will we see a car adapter that will play the pre through your car stereo and charge it at the same time?
    I don't know the answer to "when", but I do know that if it's like the iPhone, the connector won't fit...

Sarcasm (about the iphone comparison), I suspect we'll see some sort of touchstone adaptor for the car. Until we get an offical one released, some folks have successfully hacked their TS to work in their cars.
    November 2, 2012...
    (Obligatory smarta$$ response to questions requiring prescience to answer.)
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't know the answer to "when", but I do know that if it's like the iPhone, the connector won't fit...

Sarcasm (about the iphone comparison), I suspect we'll see some sort of touchstone adaptor for the car. Until we get an offical one released, some folks have successfully hacked their TS to work in their cars.
    I did not have to hack mine at all i bought an extra touchstone puck and then bought the Palm branded car adapter plugged it in then stuck the puck to the wood left of my shifter and works good it's never fallen off I just tucked the wire under the edge were you could not see it I have a 2002 Lincoln LS... opps also forgot to say i play with blue tooth...
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    November 2, 2012...
    (Obligatory smarta$$ response to questions requiring prescience to answer.)

You sure its not the23rd August 2014?
    If you use the phone in usb mode then you will not get calls or be able to use navigation.. Cigarette lighter/touchstone and aux input/bluetooth.
    Well...I can pretty much do this already since I have a Ford Edge with Micrsoft Sync built in.

I have a USB jack in my center console that can charge my Pre and the Sync system sees it via Bluetooth and can pull music right from it. In fact, it indexes the music from my Pre and I can then say "Play Artist Black Eyed Peas" and it will play them.

But I found that the cheapest and easiest way was to just buy a 8GB flash drive for $12, put all my music on that, and then leave that hanging by a dongle in my center console. Its indexed by the car and I have about 1000+ songs on tap at any time. Leaves my Pre doing its main function of being phone that has its phonebook indexed by my car and allows me to call anyone in my contacts simply by saying thier name, etc.

I have to say that the Microsoft Sync system in Fords is friggin amazing. I've been a Chevy dude for a long time and I looked long and hard for a new vehicle. After using the Sync thing for a day or two, I'd buy another Ford simply based on it!