Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Why? What purpose does a survey like this actually provide other than bragging rights about a subject that is completely unrelated. These may be competing products but the kind of stuff people are obsessing over (number of apps at launch, return rate, etc) are pointless comparisons.
    while it may be pointless, people like hearing numbers and percentages, most likely for arguing purposes or simply just to compare how the companies did. i do agree people are getting obsessed with different polls and apps at launch
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, you can spin it any way you want. A poll using that small a sampling is meaningless (in the context of what we're talking about).

Here's an example.

Out of a group polled:
    50% owned the Pre
    66.6 % of those that did not own one, said would prefer them over their current phone
    100% of those that owned a Pre very "Very Satisfied" with their device
    The return rate was 0% after over 2 months of use.

The poll was taken above a sail boat that I crew. The owner and his wife both own Pres, I do too. Their two kids don't, but really want them. One other crew member doesn't have one, doesn't care about them.

Meaningless.

Take a course on statistics. As I said, for each group you identified and assigned a number to, you need to know how that data was collected before you can present it.

Remeber: figures never lie but lairs sometimes figure. Your example is the later.

The return rate for defective units is likely higher that 11% but certainly not 40%.

But from a Business point of view, if the return rates do to defects were actually something to brag about, Palm would have addressed the issue in the media already. They have not.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    Take a course on statistics. As I said, for each group you identified and assigned a number to, you need to know how that data was collected before you can present it.
    And that's why I (and most of the others) say statistics such as this one (the one that started this thread) are useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    But from a Business point of view, if the return rates do to defects were actually something to brag about, Palm would have addressed the issue in the media already. They have not.
    That's a supposition, and without factual basis. You don't know what Palm would do, you're making an assumption.

The fact is that many people were saying that if Palm were going to make their announced release date, they would be refuting those that insisted they weren't. They didn't. They stayed mute, and made the announced release date.

The fact is that Palm has remained pretty silent about everyting to do with the Pre. So one cannot deduce by their silence that the return rates are lower, or higher, or normal.

I suspect that Palm's "across the board silence" is done in deliberately.

(Oh, and I've taken multiple courses in statistics. Again, when one makes assumption from ignorance...)
    Here's a statistic... 10 million sperm, and I won !!!
    I sell both the Palm Pre and Iphone. I can say that the numbers are off and the Pre gets returned something like 5 times more than the iphone (and we sell a TON more iphones then pre's). Pretty much everyone we have sold a pre to has either returned it or exchanged it because of a defect. Granted I hate the iphone (use to have it) and love the pre, but it's the truth. We never see iphones returned and when they are it's almost always user error.

As someone else stated though, it's the hardware since it's a first gen. The software is nearly flawless. So future gens will have a lot to look forward to Palm really doesn't have a lot of work to do to fix these issues, just need to work some some build quality.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12