Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Is the USB charging cable just a standard USB to Micro USB cable?
    Can I plug the cable into any USB charger and charge my Pre?
    Does the OEM charger work faster than a generic charger?
    Does the OEM charger have any special circuitry that would protect the Pre or Pre battery from overcharging?

TIA,
    Alan
    The USB charging cable seems like a standard USB to Micro USB cable but the pin configuration might be different (I've read where standard USB's don't charge it but do allow it access the USB side of it).

Yes, any USB connection will charge the Pre with the USB cable that comes with the Pre.

By OEM charger, what exactly are you asking? The Pre doesn't come with a "charger." It does come with a USB cable that can connect to a PC or wall outlet (with the included adapter) that are both used for charging.

I've yet to hear of any Pre batteries overcharging. Most complaints about it not lasting long enough throughout the day. Lol
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I have purchased, and am successfully using OEM USB to micro cables. They work with the Palm wall charger, and when connecting to a computer I get the usual three options for connecting.

I have used a "generic" car 12V to USB charger. I don't know for sure what the amp output is at, but I think it's probably 500mA, and it charges fine. It does not work with the Touchstone, however, and I assume this is due to lower current output.

I would be careful with the chargers, as a failure in a component could pass high voltage to the Pre, and I don't know if or how the Pre is designed to respond to that.

I think if there is any charging circuitry in a USB powered device, it must be in the device itself.

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by renzopnala View Post
    Is the USB charging cable just a standard USB to Micro USB cable?
    Can I plug the cable into any USB charger and charge my Pre?
    Does the OEM charger work faster than a generic charger?
    Does the OEM charger have any special circuitry that would protect the Pre or Pre battery from overcharging?

TIA,
    Alan
    With all due respect, about 50% of the threads here and in accessories are all about chargers, cables, problems, people "smoking" their Pre to death with the wrong ones etc. It's quite funny when you start reading through most of them.