Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am on my thrird pre and this one has just a small amount of play in the slider but there is now a small gap on the left side between the two parts. This caused me a little concern. My wife told me I was crazy and not to worry about it.

Yesterday the top right part of the pre will click if you press it (not sure why I have been pressing it, maybe I am crazy). I took the phone into sprint and they told me this is normal, but they tightened the screws on the phone.

I am still in my 30 days. I love the OS on this phone, but I am worried it might fall apart before I get two years out of it. I have not other issues with the screen or shutdowns or even battery problems.

Would you guys recommend me going back to my old phone or just keeping this one despite the minor errors. I do have the TEP from sprint.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    IT IS NOT NORMAL. Sprint told me the same thing. My wife just got hers two days ago, and it is flawless, perfect build. I took hers and mine up to Sprint and all but demanded a new one. They agreed to replace it and my new one should be in in a couple days. Palm has a new build or better build starting in the middle of July. Obviously, they knew they had a problem. Mine isn't bad either(my wife said the same thing as yours) but I want a good build and deserve it for the money I paid!!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    This happened on my first Pre, and my girlfriend said the same thing! She told me I had OCD. Anyway, I probably do, and took it in for a replacement. I got a new one that was perfect...for about 2 weeks. It ended up down the same path. Ive seen many display models that do the same thing as well.
    I had the same issue and Best buy wouldn't exchange it.. but then it started to twist so I went to a different best buy and they accepted to change it...I think they just had the mind set on the usual twisting issue and the other things are normal! But gladly I was within my 30 days and got it exchanged yesterday! This one was built 7/28 ... no its not normal, but I do notice if you take someone else who has a pre and it doesn't have the problem you usually will get it exchanged without problem because they can't argue it being normal if its not on all phones
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Are you guys saying that I should just keep the one I have all my time invested in rooting, mods, ect...because it is going to end up like this anyway, even if I get a new one that has no play in it in the begining? I would hate to accept the new one, have to redo everything, and end up being like this one now. It only has about 1 mm of play in it, not bad but, anyway,guess I might have to get over this OCD thing. My wife has had hers for a few days, and still tight, but it sounds like your saying, that's going to change!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Maybe these new "builds" are different, or I just got unlucky twice. There are a lot of people that say they dont have the problem, but at the same time people like my girlfriend didnt notice it..and it drove me insane.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Ya, I get slack from my wife to. I know it's not going to fall apart, but everytime I use my wifes phone, it makes me sick that mine is the way it is. It's driving me crazy also. I guess I will see what happens with my wifes, and check out the "new one" and see how it is. I got a feeling since they ordered it, it will be a refurb! I HOPE NOT
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Same issue.

First pre, past my 30 days. I don't know if they'll do anything about it.
    I thought it was normal, and then after 30 days I figured out it wasn't normal.

This gap is the only thing making me mad about the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattschuler00 View Post
    I am on my thrird pre and this one has just a small amount of play in the slider but there is now a small gap on the left side between the two parts. This caused me a little concern. My wife told me I was crazy and not to worry about it.

Yesterday the top right part of the pre will click if you press it (not sure why I have been pressing it, maybe I am crazy). I took the phone into sprint and they told me this is normal, but they tightened the screws on the phone.

I am still in my 30 days. I love the OS on this phone, but I am worried it might fall apart before I get two years out of it. I have not other issues with the screen or shutdowns or even battery problems.

Would you guys recommend me going back to my old phone or just keeping this one despite the minor errors. I do have the TEP from sprint.

Thanks
    EXCHANGE EXCHANGE EXCHANGE

I have a newer Pre, the build quality is excellent. After one month there is absolutely no oreo, no creaking, no clicking, no twisting.

Will the phone be in this condition one year from now? Who the hell knows. But I've developed no oreo after one month of heavy usage.

Don't settle for a crappy product. EXCHANGE!
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Sprint ordered my new one at my 32 day. You can at least try!
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    ejohnnyk, thanks, that sounds encouraging at least!!
    Got my Pre on the 25th of July. Without my innocase on my Pre feels like crap. Big gap causing clicking and plenty of twist. Twist is still there a bit with the case on, but not as bad.

Do any of you folks know if it's possible to determine the build date by looking at the box?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    on your dialer, push #786##. Please post back with your date
    I don't know of a way on the box... luckily the Best buy I went to brought one out and I saw the same issue and I told them its a common problem on the older ones and if they mind to check another one for me and they brought out three more and they all had it except for the third one and its was perfect! after it was activated I checked the build date and it was 7/28... I don't know about relying on the build date the whole time though cause I have read ppl who have had it since day one and don't have a problem, its more of a hit or miss I guess? but yea I would try and replace it but ask them to check the phone before activating it and explain to them why and try and find one that is good

If your lucky you get a nice rep and they will let you check more then one... if they say no they can only check one and you really want it changed I would just go to another store and see if they will do it. Sad but it just depends on the rep you are dealing with.
    my second pre did the same thing and after a week got worst with the oreo becoming more loose. I recently got my third and it fixed both problems including the dead pixel problem. my new build is 7-27. for me this build has been the best. be careful posting your complaints on this site. I was targeted as a troll because I was complaining about all the issues. wow
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
    Do any of you folks know if it's possible to determine the build date by looking at the box?
    I have this same question. Got my Pre Friday (8/14.) The build date is 7/2. It had a teeny bit of wigggle when I got it, but I didn't care. Now it's worse, and I notice a small gap on the side, and a little clicking when I push on it. (Not lots of pressure - just picking it up off the table causes enough pressure to squeak and click.)

I'm considering going to Best Buy to exchange, but I'm concerned that a - I'll have to reload all my homebrew apps and settings and that's a pain, and b - what's to say I won't just get another older build phone? Plus, even if the phone SEEMS ok when I get it, maybe it'll just get worse over the next few weeks. I haven't decided if it's worth messing with the exchange, or just living with it.

If I do decide to try and exchange it a Best Buy, what can I do - have them open all the boxes there, let me test the wiggle, then have them power them up and punch in the ##786# code to see the build date? Seems unlikely (and I'm sure I'll get some "are you crazy?" looks!)
    I had to fight to get to open all the boxes. don't give up and demand it and they will let you. not all best buy reps know of the defect and wont feel like you need to open all of them.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I think in the end, this is a live and learn situation! I've been with Sprint for 6yrs. and never had these kind of issues. They have always stood behind thier equipment(at least in my experience).I'm guessing there has been so many complaints about the Pre's build, their giving up and pushing it back on Palm. I'm not saying I'm giving up but, damn I'm tired of talking to morons on the phone!!
  19.    #19  
    My build date is 7/24. I think I will try to go to another Sprint store tonight since they would not exchange for me last night. Maybe I will have to threaten taking the phone back.

Thanks for all you help. I hope to get a solid phone since the software is wonderful.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    awrnsmn, let me know how your wife's phone turns out after a month or so of use. I'm gonna go ahead and say that the gap will have magically appeared, and the creaking will be more and more apparent.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast