Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    UPDATE: I've updated some new shortcomings (admittedly some less egregious than others) and noted where hacks or patches exist to overcome some of these shortcomings.
    --------------

I'm sure all of these have been mentioned at one time or another, but I wanted to chime in with what I consider to be egregious shortcomings of the Palm Pre. These are the types of things that Palm must make a top priority to fix. Sure I've love to have Video Recording for instance, but it's not a must. I'd be disappointed to see Palm add Video Recording before it addresses some of these issues. But then again, Video Recording is sexier and helps sell more Pres, so I understand the business incentive to do so. And it's also worth mentioning that I love my Pre and am writing this only to help promote getting some of these things fixed as fast as possible.

1.) Copy-Cut-Paste needs to work for all text. What's the point of having the Copy-Paste functionality only work with editable text fields? You can't copy text from an email or web page for instance, which is absurd.

2.) Email search needs to be added. Whether as part of the Universal Search, ideally, or if just a function within the Email app, it's a necessity to be able to search emails. If added in Universal Search, it should just be a "button" (ala the Google, Wikipedia, and Twitter "buttons" that exist) that will then start searching your emails once pressed. This would avoid bogging down the searching if done in real-time, as it does with your contacts. Come on Palm, why was this even omitted in the first place?

3.) Synergy needs an overhaul. The idea of synergy is great, but it's poorly executed. You link your Facebook account and you have no way of controlling who you'd like to sync, either through syncing just select groups or deleting Facebook contacts on your phone. Everyone knows that Facebook is more than just connecting with your close friends and people you contact regularly with. Some might suggest that the solution to this is that I should prune my Facebook account. But what for? Who's Palm to tell me who I should be Facebook "friends" with? And what's the point of even linking a Facebook account with one of your contacts? Right now Synergy is nothing more than a glorified way to synchronize contacts from multiple sources. But what really needs to be added is true Facebook functionality (and other services) into synergy. For instance, a contact's Facebook status update could be shown directly in their contact card. At a minimum I should be able to click on a Facebook icon or something within their contact card to be taken to their Facebook profile. Admittedly these latter features are more niceties, but clearly Synergy does need some serious improvement in the eyes of many. It's also worth mentioning that the Gmail synergy is just as bad for contacts. It essentially pulls all emails that you've corresponded with as contacts. Isn't that a bit excessive Palm?

4.) Turn off screen while charging on Touchstone. Besides the fact that it's annoying when your screen is lit at night when going to sleep, you'd think that with the whole "green" movement going strong that Palm would be more sensitive to conserving energy. Lets just add an option to allow the device to sleep while charging on the Touchstone. (Note: Brightness Unlinked and My Tether 2.x allow the screen to be turned off while on the touchstone)

5.) Landscape virtual keyboard. Right now the use of the phone in landscape mode, whether with the web browser or email is limited by the lack of a convenient way to input text while in that orientation. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the physical keyboard of the Pre, but it'd be nice to use the screen more in landscape mode without having to constantly change to a portrait orientation and slide out the keyboard to type anything. While I'm at it, lets add a portrait virtual keyboard as well for quick text input. (NOTE: Patch exists)

6.) Media player needs track time information (a.k.a scrubber). This is another one that blows my mind. How did Palm create a media player that does not show elapsed time and/or time remaining for the currently playing track on the now playing screen? I have never seen a player that lacked this music fundamental feature. It's absolutely necessary to know where in the song you are when seeking through the track. Preferably there should be a time bar to quickly and conveniently seek through a track, while also displaying elapsed time to the left of this bar, and remaining time to the right.

7.) Better and more configurable sound profiles. There needs to be a better way to create sound profiles and to be able to specifically control the sounds and vibrations of all events that trigger them. For instance, right now the Alarm sound is connected with the System Sound. If I turn down the System Sound I risk not hearing my alarm. In fact I have twice overslept because my System Sound was reduced during the day, and without me realizing it, the Alarm sound was also reduced. Not cool Palm!

8.) Ability to Forward Text Messages. There have been times when I really needed to forward someone a text message but couldn't. And considering I can't copy and paste that text (see #1), I was SOL. (NOTE: Patch exists)

9.) Visual notification. There really needs to be some sort of visual notification (such as a blinking LED) that occurs when you miss a call, receive voicemail, receive a text message, receive an email, or receive any other sort of notifcation (such as a calendar event). Settings should allow users to control whether or not a visual notification would occur depending on the event. (NOTE: Patch exists for text messages)

10.) Limited application space. Right now application space is severely limited, as people are finding out the hard way when installing several homebrew apps and official app catalog apps. As more official apps become available Palm will have a serious issue on their hands if most users max out on available app space. Clearly some sort of solution needs to be put in place in a future update.

This is what I've quickly thought of off the top of my head. Please Palm address these rather severe shortcomings of the Pre before you work hard at adding more fluff and frills to the phone. I'm curious to know what others find to be glaring shortcomings with the Palm Pre webOS and built-in apps. There are already threads for bugs (quirky behavior) and for features people would like to see (such as video recording), but I'd like to focus more on what people would consider egregious shortcomings that Palm should have quite honestly never let slip into the phone in the first place. Thanks!
    Last edited by onlinespending; 08/21/2009 at 02:50 PM.
    You read my mind. These are the exact same gripes I have. Well put, too...

FYI, #6 is called a "scrubber." I only know this because i was so frustrated at the lack of one on the pre that i googled around and found out it had a name...
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    and YIM!
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I do like your list, but for me the number one feature I am really needing/missing is Voice Dialing. I think it should come before anything, at this point. I *did* know that it wasn't on the phone at launch and bought it anyway, but I guess I didn't realize that it was going to be so involved to make a phone call, and while driving that just isn't safe. I can't pull off the road every time I need to make a call and am thinking I'm going to have to break down and buy one of the BlueAnt voice activated headsets so that I can at least have some key numbers programmed into it that way. But I don't think I should have to pop a $100 on a new headset just to get a (crippled) feature that even the cheapest phones on the market have.
    The Sound profile is something that I would love to see changed. Apple has not managed to let you have much control over the sounds either which I hope is not the model that Palm is going to follow. I am hoping that soon we will have more control over various sounds individually. This is one thing that Nokia has gotten down with the S60 platform.
    If a virtual kb came about, i really hope there's an option to turn it off altogether since i've no desire to see one. For the touchstone, again, an option to turn off would be good at night but i like having it on at desk.

In addition to others you listed, i'd like to see more than one SMS card per conversation. And for that center button to bring up bookmarks when browsing..or better yet configurable depending on what active card you're in.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    One more thing. Visual Voice Mail. It's the one thing that the iPhone has that is truly awesome that the Pre just can't do....
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximo_ View Post
    One more thing. Visual Voice Mail. It's the one thing that the iPhone has that is truly awesome that the Pre just can't do....
    But we do have gvoice apps. And pick 3 = free calling to your gvoice number. And that is something the iphone just can't do..
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Actually most of what you want are available in homebrew and patches.

I realize that rooting isn't for everyone.

I specially like the virtual keyboard patch.
    I had a need to search emails yesterday and I was saddened because I had to scroll through days of emails.

OP has valid points.
    Well, I definitely agree with #1 and #2. These are pretty essential. Right now, if you get a decent quantity of email (even 5 a day), I'd like to see anyone try to find an email from a week or two weeks ago in something less than 10 minutes. It's impossible. Like finding a needle in a haystack. You can't sort by name, can't scroll easily to a specific day, can't sort by subject... But once you find that email, trying to use information from it is difficult. You have to pretend to reply to it in order to grab any of the text--but if it's an html-ish email that gets its information from a website, even then you can't do it.

Here's a use case. I make a hotel reservation, and I get an email confirmation with all the info I need. One to two weeks later, I want to find it in Google maps or Sprint Navigator. Of course, it will be difficult to find the email in the first place, and then once I find it, I have to memorize portions of the address and flip back and forth because it's an html email (albeit fantastically, brilliantly formatted like no other device can do) and I can't copy the address and paste it into another app!

I love my Pre. Fixing email search and copy and paste would make it significantly better--and then I'd have to find a new word to describe my feelings.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    If a virtual kb came about, i really hope there's an option to turn it off altogether since i've no desire to see one. For the touchstone, again, an option to turn off would be good at night but i like having it on at desk.

In addition to others you listed, i'd like to see more than one SMS card per conversation. And for that center button to bring up bookmarks when browsing..or better yet configurable depending on what active card you're in.
    I agree with everything mentioned. I'd really like to see these features.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    If you click the "list view" of the music player, you can see elapsed time.
    Another one of these threads
    Egregious: crying(a): conspicuously and outrageously bad or reprehensible; "a crying shame"; "an egregious lie"; "flagrant violation of human rights"; "a ...

hmmm?

1. ok, but you can copy and paste from an email. any email.

2. no doubt, but should it be in universal search or just in email. i like the second option better, but if it were a option (u can turn iot off) in universal search that would be okay.

3. if you dont want them on your phone, why are they friends in facebook? one point of synergy is not having to manage this. now if google wouldnt add every frakin address to your address book . . .

4. yup.

5. ok.

6. really, you are looking at the screen when the music is playing? so the screen is on? for someone who is concerned about energy savings (see number 4) i would think you wouldnt be doing this.

7. ok

8. amazingly not something that a lot of ppl care about. i thought i cared, now not so much.

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I too thought "egregious" was a bit much. Yes, they are things I'd like (to varying degrees) to see, but egregious would be over the top.

Personally, the ability to send appt invitations is higher on my list than anything shown here, but I can still wait for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    3. if you dont want them on your phone, why are they friends in facebook? one point of synergy is not having to manage this. now if google wouldnt add every frakin address to your address book . . .
    My friend's roommate, who is a nice guy for sure, added me on Facebook. I'm not going to refuse his request because there's no reason to, but I don't want him on my phone. I'm never, ever, ever going to call him, send him a text message, or email him. I have several Facebook contacts like this, yet they all appear in my phone. I should have the option to pick who I want in my phone, or at the very least, be able to remove them if they're dragged there by Synergy. It's MY phone, I should have some control over it. I can't even delete old AIM contacts from my contact list for chrissakes -- I had to create a dummy contact record and associate all those old screen names with it, or go through the process of deleting my AIM account from my phone, then delete all those contacts on AIM, add it to my phone again, then go through the process again of associating AIM names with my contacts. Yep, works wonderfully

The Synergy feature is absolutely half-baked and disappointing, much like the copy/paste feature. I have my share of gripes, but I'm hoping they'll be fixed in the future because overall this is a kick-*** phone. But the Synergy thing needs to be made more flexible.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    e-mail search is a surprising omission in that they have the same searching capability in other apps. The other big issue I have is not being able to initiate calendar invitations. I hope that someone figures out how to add these two things!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I too thought "egregious" was a bit much. Yes, they are things I'd like (to varying degrees) to see, but egregious would be over the top.

Personally, the ability to send appt invitations is higher on my list than anything shown here, but I can still wait for it.
    +1 on the egregious use of the word "egregious."

Also, I want to repeat what I've said many times before: please, Palm, do not extent Universal Search to include every bit on the device. The beauty of Universal Search today is its speed in showing the most pertinent actionable options (e.g., call someone, text someone, start an app).

There's simply no way that search could be as instantaneous if it has to search everything on the phone. Or, even just email, if one has a large number of messages. A separate "Find" application would be preferable, in my opinion, or perhaps an "All Items" option to go with the online options in Universal Search.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    No, "egregious" is a suitable word for many of these problems. It's especially appropriate when discussing features that PalmOS devices have had since the very first Palm Pilot, like a truly universal Find function and cut-and-paste from anywhere. It is incomprehensible to me that no one apparently noticed during WebOS development that you couldn't search e-mails or calendar events. "Egregious" definitely fits that particular omission.