Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinespending View Post
    1.) Copy-Cut-Paste needs to work for all text. What's the point of having the Copy-Paste functionality only work with editable text fields? You can't copy text from an email or web page for instance, which is absurd.
    I am starting to think that implementing this is more technically difficult than we believe. We all think it is easy, but there is a reason it was originally omitted on the iPhone and WebOS so far. I know our old phones from 5 years ago had it, but it seems like there is something difficult with these next-gen mobile OS's. Perhaps it is the way things are rendered in apps like the browser, where the text isn't really text, but sort of an image of text? You all with the technical expertise explain it to me.

It also looks that we might not see this come for awhile, as they are moving ahead full-speed towards the app store without it. If they ever do get around to implementing it, I also hope they improve the actual process used to copy and paste in a way similar to iPhone's.

2.) Email search needs to be added. Whether as part of the Universal Search, ideally, or if just a function within the Email app, it's a necessity to be able to search emails. Come on Palm, why was this even omitted in the first place?
    I would think they haven't figured out a way to do it yet without it being resource-intensive and laggy. Shame, too.

3.) Synergy needs an overhaul. It's also worth mentioning that the Gmail synergy is just as bad for contacts. It essentially pulls all emails that you've corresponded with as contacts. Isn't that a bit excessive Palm?
    This has got to be killing Palm employees who now have "customerservice@ebags.com" in their contacts because they emailed them 3 months ago trying to track a package. All I want is to be able to filter it down to "My Contacts" from Gmail. That is it, and it should be simple.

Also, on iPhone you can use Google Sync now which is Google's own exchange service to syncing Calendar and Contacts. I believe it is push too. I wonder why WebOS doesn't take advantage of this, it could be better implemented than Synergy currently is.

5.) Landscape virtual keyboard. Right now the use of the phone in landscape mode, whether with the web browser or email is limited by the lack of a convenient way to input text while in that orientation. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the physical keyboard of the Pre, but it'd be nice to use the screen more in landscape mode without having to constantly change to a portrait orientation and slide out the keyboard to type anything. While I'm at it, lets add a portrait virtual keyboard as well for quick text input.
    This is a big one for me. I actually prefer physical keyboards, but they have to be good ones with lots of key travel. The Pre keyboard gives my hands cramps because I am having to push extra hard to make sure I get the travel sensation, and I just can't get used to it (miss my old Treo 700w keyboard). I find typing on the iPhone's new landscape virtual keyboard to be easier than typing on the Pre, and would like that option available to me.

The last thing I will add is they need to somehow implement OpenGL, not for games, but for the smoothness of their OS. Things need to scroll, scan and scale smoothly and it is entirely technically possible to do with the Pre's hardware.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I agree with these, but my biggest problem continues to be poor reception. I wish they'd make the phone better before I care about software issues. I can't even use my phone in my office without it dropping calls.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Good points, well put together.
    I don't think that word means what you think it does.
    Some of these as "needs" seem a bit overstated here. The real fact is that this list is a wish list by a single person. Different people use their phones for different things. We don't all have the same priorities. Nice to know the OP thinks his opinion is what we all want.

Oh BTW. Just because Syntegy currently lacks a feature that you desire for contacts, doesn't mean it needs to be "overhauled". How about Palm just adding a way to filter out some contacts. To me "overhaul" implies that it needs to be rewritten from the ground-up, which is really unnecessary.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I agree with most of these. I would like to add a couple more related to email.

a) A simple sort feature. Why can't I at least sort my email by sender or subject. This seems pretty basic to me.

b) Be able to recognize and accept calendar invites. When you get a calendar entry via email it doesn't know what to do with it. You can't accept it or anything. I would like to be able to accept and have it added to my Pre calendar.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I've found copy/paste to be so awkward and hit-or-miss that I just hand type everything. The WinMo and iPhone style of doing it is much more intuitive so hopefully Palm is willing to make changes (or at least enable a trackball of some sort)
    "Egregious" (which means conspicuous) is the right word for some of these shortcomings. Just because the iPhone and other devices have shared some of these faults doesn't make them any less egregious. (Especially things like copy and paste and email search. This is supposed to be a smartphone after all.)

I would add to the list:

• Limited space for applications. Like iPhone the Pre has a very small amount of space reserved for built-in applications. Unlike the iPhone, the Pre uses the same limited space for downloaded App Catalog apps (and homebrews) which severely limits the number of apps that can be installed on the device. Many people have not noticed this yet simply because there aren't very many apps worth downloading and installing yet. Hopefully this is something Palm will address in an update. (Since not a lot of people have noticed this yet it's probably not "egregious" though.)
    Quote Originally Posted by koxler View Post

b) Be able to recognize and accept calendar invites. When you get a calendar entry via email it doesn't know what to do with it. You can't accept it or anything. I would like to be able to accept and have it added to my Pre calendar.

Are you using EAS? Unless I'm misremembering, I have received (and accepted) several meeting invites on my phone via email that seem to work just like on the desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    My friend's roommate, who is a nice guy for sure, added me on Facebook. I'm not going to refuse his request because there's no reason to, but I don't want him on my phone. I'm never, ever, ever going to call him, send him a text message, or email him. I have several Facebook contacts like this, yet they all appear in my phone. I should have the option to pick who I want in my phone, or at the very least, be able to remove them if they're dragged there by Synergy. It's MY phone, I should have some control over it. I can't even delete old AIM contacts from my contact list for chrissakes -- I had to create a dummy contact record and associate all those old screen names with it, or go through the process of deleting my AIM account from my phone, then delete all those contacts on AIM, add it to my phone again, then go through the process again of associating AIM names with my contacts. Yep, works wonderfully

The Synergy feature is absolutely half-baked and disappointing, much like the copy/paste feature. I have my share of gripes, but I'm hoping they'll be fixed in the future because overall this is a kick-*** phone. But the Synergy thing needs to be made more flexible.
    Wow.

I'd say don't use those features at all.

However, even though my daughter's friend that used to come over for whatever reason decided to request me as a friend (their both in their mid-20's now), and I'll never call her, text message her, or email her.

However, if she happens to call me I won't have to spend three or four days wondering who in the heck she was (like I did when she fr'd me on FB). I'll know.

I think some of you guys that are bent out of shape over the synergy stuff are too ingrained with the concept of looking through your contact list. I used to have about 250 users in my contact list. I spent hours cleaning it up before I got my Pre, because I wanted to ensure that it was "compact".

I got it down to about 180, but now it's way over 500. I've discovered that I'm now using the contact list totally different than I did before. The whole SYSTEM totally different than before.

I seldom open the Contact app directly. I activate the screen, and start typing the person's name.
    Sometimes I don't want to slide open the phone. Seems a little silly I guess, but it's quicker for me to grab the phone, hit the contacts icon and then scroll to the contact ... well it would be normally, if I didn't now have 100+ contacts in the list, that is.

The chances that any of those unwanted people in my contact list would ever call me are slim and none. I do appreciate the linking to Facebook, mainly because I like the ever-changing photos of my contacts, but there absolutely needs to be a way to delete people from my phone without having to delete them from Facebook or AIM. It's an oversight on Palm's part, no matter how you want to look at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think some of you guys that are bent out of shape over the synergy stuff are too ingrained with the concept of looking through your contact list....

I've discovered that I'm now using the contact list totally different than I did before. The whole SYSTEM totally different than before.
    Agreed, and like it or hate it, this is exactly what Palm intended, I think. For myself, I haven't accessed the Contacts app in weeks except to edit a contact. To call, text, or email someone, I just start typing. I actually find it quite liberating, and would simply hate to go back to the "old" way of hunting through contacts looking for someone.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Some of these as "needs" seem a bit overstated here. The real fact is that this list is a wish list by a single person. Different people use their phones for different things. We don't all have the same priorities. Nice to know the OP thinks his opinion is what we all want.
    Of the 8 items listed, I'd say 5 are now standard features on modern smartphones. I don't really see it as a personal wishlist, but rather as a list of items to bring the Pre up to speed with other phones of its type. It has features that are way ahead of other phones, yet it lacks something as simple as true copy and paste. His list, for the most part, seems sensible to me. I'm confident Palm is taking user feedback and will update the Pre, so I'm not too stressed about missing features right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Agreed, and like it or hate it, this is exactly what Palm intended, I think. For myself, I haven't accessed the Contacts app in weeks except to edit a contact. To call, text, or email someone, I just start typing. I actually find it quite liberating, and would simply hate to go back to the "old" way of hunting through contacts looking for someone.
    We are 100% in agreement on this one. I believe that forcing people to learn the new is why Palm didn't replicate much of the old.

Henry Ford said "If I'd listened to my customers, I would've built a faster horse."
    Well, I wouldn't consider it hunting -- if I want to call Suzy Jones, a couple of flicks of my finger takes me to her name in the contact list. I'd say it's actually quicker to do that than to open the slider, start typing her name, and then pick her name out among the other Jones' in your contact list that appear.

I do appreciate there being multiple ways to find a person though. All I'm asking is to be in total control over which people reside on my phone, rather than having to delete them in Facebook to remove them from my contacts, which seems kind of silly.
    Well, I wouldn't consider it hunting -- if I want to call Suzy Jones, a couple of flicks of my finger takes me to her name in the contact list. I'd say it's actually quicker to do that than to open the slider, start typing her name, and then pick her name out among the other Jones' in your contact list that appear.

I do appreciate there being multiple ways to find a person though. All I'm asking is to be in total control over which people reside on my phone, rather than having to delete them in Facebook to remove them from my contacts, which seems kind of silly.
    I can see both sides of this; I agree you should definitely be able to delete FB contacts you don't want from your phone, but I also agree that one of the issues a lot of people are having with the Pre is it has a user interface that's designed differently than what people were used to with their old device. So they keep trying to do what they did on their old phone and then get frustrated with Palm because the Pre has different (and often better) ways of doing things. Like complaining about how long it takes an app to open; yeah, it could be faster, and hopefully they're working on optimization, but why did you close it in the first place?

I just broke myself of opening the contacts app and searching for contacts last week.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    Egregious: crying(a): conspicuously and outrageously bad or reprehensible; "a crying shame"; "an egregious lie"; "flagrant violation of human rights"; "a ...

hmmm?
    Right, egregious can simply mean extraordinary in a bad way or glaring. I believe these to be glaring omissions on the phone now, as do many. Did I intentionally choose a word that might jump out at you? You bet. It's good to see people discussing and debating these item. All healthy things.

1. ok, but you can copy and paste from an email. any email.
    Not true. You can only select editable text, so you would need to first start a "Reply" to an email you received to be able to select and copy the text from the email you received. It's a cumbersome solution to a common problem. I received an email from Amazon with a USPS tracking number that I wanted to copy and paste into the usps.com website. I couldn't do it.

2. no doubt, but should it be in universal search or just in email. i like the second option better, but if it were a option (u can turn iot off) in universal search that would be okay.
    Also, I want to repeat what I've said many times before: please, Palm, do not extent Universal Search to include every bit on the device. The beauty of Universal Search today is its speed in showing the most pertinent actionable options (e.g., call someone, text someone, start an app).
    If they add email search to Universal Search, I'm not suggesting they attempt to search your emails in real-time. Yes that would slow things down big time with the search. All they need to do is add a "Button" for Email once you start typing something. This would be similar to the existing Google, Google Maps, Wikipedia, and twitter "buttons".

3. if you dont want them on your phone, why are they friends in facebook? one point of synergy is not having to manage this. now if google wouldnt add every frakin address to your address book . . .
    As many others pointed out, there's not one person I know on Facebook who only has close friends as their "facebook friends". Most people's facebook friends are largely made up of acquaintances, former high school and college classmates, and other people who really don't care to contact everyday. The same goes with the Gmail synergy. I don't need everyone email I've ever written or received from in my phone contacts. That's just silly. I do agree that it is cool to start typing a name to call that way, but why have a cluttered phone book? There are times when you may just wish to browse your friends to see who you haven't gotten a hold of in a long time, or when looking for someone to call to hang out with that night. Either way, having all of those unnecessary contacts would only slow down the Universal Search.

6. really, you are looking at the screen when the music is playing? so the screen is on? for someone who is concerned about energy savings (see number 4) i would think you wouldnt be doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by inrelief View Post
    If you click the "list view" of the music player, you can see elapsed time.
    No, I'm not saying I look at my screen all of the time while playing music. But this is such a basic feature of any music player, it is a glaring omission on Palm's part. For most short tracks I agree that you don't even seek much to begin with. But for larger MP3's, such as audiobooks, live concerts, DJ sets, podcasts, etc. might often require to conveniently seek within the track and easily determine your place in the song. And this should be on the Now Playing screen, shouldn't have to go to the list view.

Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    It's amazing how people can get so irked by the simple fact that someone share's his opinion. I never once said that I think that this is what everyone needs or wants. These are simply features that I find to be glaring omissions. And judging by most responses and the high star rating of the thread, I am far from being alone with my stance. But I like the healthy debating going on here. This is the beauty of the web. We don't all have to agree.
    1. ok, but you can copy and paste from an email. any email.
    Not true. You can only select editable text, so you would need to first start a "Reply" to an email you received to be able to select and copy the text from the email you received. It's a cumbersome solution to a common problem. I received an email from Amazon with a USPS tracking number that I wanted to copy and paste into the usps.com website. I couldn't do it.
    It bears repeating: even with the "hit reply first" workaround, there are still some emails (html emails from companies) with important information in them cannot be copied from. The reason is because when you hit reply, the hyperlink is quoted, so even though it renders as text, it's yet another uneditable field. It's not possible to copy and paste this kind of text on the Pre.

I suspect it does have to do with the way the rendering happens on the Pre. Maybe it just renders and dumps the cache to keep performance up. I really have no idea. It might be a challenge to fix it, but it has to be done.

I'd still rather have the Pre over anything else, but adding email search (at least give me sorting capabilities) and full copy and paste would really be helpful.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Try "SJ"
    Try looking at it a different way.

You currently have the "total control" of which you are speaking on your Palm Pre profile.

You also have the same total control on Facebook, AOL, Google, and multiple EAS accounts.

Finally, you have something new (with the Pre). You can bring ALL of those into one location. You can't control them from the Pre, but you can control whether or not you bring them to it.
    Palm, pretty please:
    1) Overhaul power management algorithms with SmartReflex
    2) Overhaul text selection system (sensitivity and allow selecting of non editable text)
    3) Add spellcheck
    4) Add email search link to Universal Search, (implimented the same way as searching for contacts in your Exchange GAL)
    5) Fix AIM synching upon deleting a buddy
    6) Add a landscape keyboard for web and email/messaging
    7) Allow synching of Memos/Notes with EAS
    8) Add Wifi/Bluetooth file level access (drag and drop music/movies/pics/docs wirelessly)
    9) Add application specific center button use - as is, I've clicked the button twice in the 3 weeks i've had the phone

and finally some OpenGL 2.0 additions to the SDK would be nice!

and then we will all have the greatest phone ever made to date
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast