Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I have some one who will sell me a palm pre with no contract outside of sprint.

Since I am not buying it from sprint, can I just add the pre to my family plan and just add the 15 dollar data plan just for myself? Would that be possible since I did not buy it from sprint without the agreement?
    only if your family plan is the new EVERYTHING DATA plan.

if not that specific plan, you must change your plan
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    What I did was purchase a Pre and put it on its own standalone everything plan, and left all the "other" phones on the family plan. I was already a Sprint customer and bought the Pre through them. Gotta love corporate discounts on the monthly charges though!
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipse31 View Post
    What I did was purchase a Pre and put it on its own standalone everything plan, and left all the "other" phones on the family plan. I was already a Sprint customer and bought the Pre through them. Gotta love corporate discounts on the monthly charges though!
    I'm in exactly this situation... no one else in my family has any interest in anything other than a basic phone, so there is no need to put them on a Simply Everything (SE) or Everything Data (ED) plan. If I get a Pre, can I change my contract to use the SE/ED plan for the Pre, and leave the rest of the phones on the regular family plan for an extra $10/mo each? That would save me A LOT of money... If you look at Sprint's website it seems like I have to switch to a SE/ED Family plan for ALL phones even though no one else will avail themselves of any of the SE/ED plan features.
    They told me that you had to have a minimum of the everything data family plan if i wanted it on the same bill. Or I would have to put it on its own plan which would still have to be at least the everything data. I have 2 pre's so the family everything data was the cheapest way for me.
    i had to change my plan too to the family everything data...althoug really only I will be using it...but as I have been with sprint for over ten years, i get 10% off all my charges...which if i split my line out from the family plan, the family plan would lose the 10% discount...so it was cheaper for me to move all up to ED plan with 10% off...better to discount 180 than to discount 80...
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    I'm in exactly this situation... no one else in my family has any interest in anything other than a basic phone, so there is no need to put them on a Simply Everything (SE) or Everything Data (ED) plan. If I get a Pre, can I change my contract to use the SE/ED plan for the Pre, and leave the rest of the phones on the regular family plan for an extra $10/mo each? That would save me A LOT of money... If you look at Sprint's website it seems like I have to switch to a SE/ED Family plan for ALL phones even though no one else will avail themselves of any of the SE/ED plan features.
    Yes you can do that. I had 3 phones before all on seperate SERO plans. There are a good amount of people on these and sprintuser forums that have their Pre on a separate plan from the rest of their family plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    I don't know if you just worded it wrong or what, but if you put the Pre on it's own plan the leftover phones that you would leave on the family plan would not only be $10 a piece. You would essentially be removing your phone's $10/month charge and replacing it with an individual plan price for the Pre, $69.99-$99.99; so you are looking at a minimum of $60 increase on your monthly bill if you do it that way.
    Best Buy Mobile Rep (I'm off the clock, I speak for myself and not Best Buy)
    Quote Originally Posted by 06MS6 View Post
    I don't know if you just worded it wrong or what, but if you put the Pre on it's own plan the leftover phones that you would leave on the family plan would not only be $10 a piece. You would essentially be removing your phone's $10/month charge and replacing it with an individual plan price for the Pre, $69.99-$99.99; so you are looking at a minimum of $60 increase on your monthly bill if you do it that way.
    That was the essence of my question, maybe I didn't word it very well. I think you're saying that if I got a Pre and upgraded my service for my phone to SE/ED, I couldn't keep my other 2 phones on a $10 basic plan. I'd either have to
    1. Upgrade everyone to SE/ED (minimum 150/mo for 3 phones with the ED plan and 1500 shared mins) or
    2. Drop my phone from my current plan and put my new Pre on an individual SE/ED plan; minimum cost would be 70/mo for two phones on the current plan (700 shared mins) and 70/mo for an individual ED plan (450 min) = 140 total.

Did I get that right? My monthly base cost would jump from 85 at least 140, i.e. 600/year extra to use a Pre instead of a Treo 755!