Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    If I carry my palm pre without a case will it scratch the screen in my jean pocket?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Is it worth taking the chance? the first thing i bought for my phone was a screen protector, it was $10 at radio shack for 3.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    not unless u carry ur keys or coins or anything metal in the same pocket....i jus use the holster with no screen protector
    i have been carrying mine like tht since the day i got it on june 6th.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Just get a skin. I use the bse one and it's great, no problem installing it. Why risk scratching it? Plus the skin protects it a little bit ahainst drops. And it makes it less slippery so you're less likely to drop it and easier one-handed use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    Ditto.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Same. After having a treo with a skin, then a touch with the plastic cover on it, I find them both a waste of time and a waste of money.
    I had mine in a case at all times and never dropped it. A scratch began developing near the top of the screen and was slowly getting larger and larger until I replaced my Pre.

Now I'm too afraid to do what you propose, heh.
    No it shouldn't get scratched. I carried mine like that for about 2 weeks and had no issues. Like someone said, don't put anything else in the pocket. But eventually it will get scuffed or scratched if it's not protected so I'd recommend a protective film.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    screen protector or the case it came with.
    i tired using the case it came with, but its a pain to take it out everytime you want to use it. even just to see what time it is.

and its a tight fit, i always thought is was in danger of dropping the pre taking it out and putting it into the case.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    No Scratches :]

Since June 21st
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I have an iPod touch that I always put in an empty pants pocket and somehow it got a bunch of deep scratches in the glass screen. The iPod must have rubbed against some fairly abrasive bits of material in my pockets or something. With my iPod experience in mind, I always keep my Pre in its case when it is in my pocket since my iPod showed me that screens easily get scratched even if you are careful.

I am going on two months with the Pre and the screen is scratch free.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    YES!
    I carried a previous Pre in my pocket without anything on the screen and was very careful never to put it in a pocket at the same time as anything else. After a few weeks of doing this I was using the Pre in a brightly lit room and noticed that it had multiple fine scratches all over the screen. I had to replace that Pre for another reason anyway so it wasn't an issue for me. But since then I always use a skin.

The design of the device (slightly convex screen flush with the edges) and the material used (plastic) make it more susceptible to scratches than other phones. Don't take a chance with it.
    Denim = cotton. Unless there's something else in your pocket it *shouldn't* get scratched.

I carried a BB Storm in my pocket with no case for a year - no scratches. I don't like the skins and don't have one on my pre. No scratches so far and I carry in my pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguyjeff View Post
    Denim = cotton. Unless there's something else in your pocket it *shouldn't* get scratched.
    Maybe my fabric softener is not as good as yours.

But seriously you also need to keep in mind that while your pockets may be made of cotton they are going to have dust any tiny bits of dirt and other debris in them along with your phone. I suspect you probably have tiny scratches that you just haven't noticed yet if you carry your phone like that. Look at your Pre under a bright light at an angle with the screen off and you may be surprised to see small scratches. You are just lucky that you haven't gotten one big enough to see in normal use yet.
    +1

Using a screen protector really takes away from the Palm Pre experience IMO
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I carry mine in my pocket all the time without anything else. The key is to make sure it's the only thing in that pocket.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Is it worth taking the chance? the first thing i bought for my phone was a screen protector, it was $10 at radio shack for 3.
    Enough said. I paid $30 for my invisibleshield, but the point is the same.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast