View Poll Results: Is it legitimate to charge others to install Teathering/homebrew on their Pre?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, if people are too scared or can't do it themselves it is a legit service.

68 64.76%
  • No, you shouldn't sell other people's free software.

37 35.24%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Don't be this guy...

Use your PALM pre as a WIFI hotspot and MORE''''''''''

For only $20 this guy will install software to allow your Pre to be used as a Wifi hotspot. Where have I seen this before...

I actually found it when I was searching Craiglist for some homebrewing (beer) equipment.
    Last edited by Captweez; 08/19/2009 at 12:05 AM.
    Wow!! Smart, but oh so stupid! Everyone should flood this guy!
    Keep Brewing All Ye Homebrew Underground!
    I don't see a problem with this as long as this craigslist poster is the original creator of MyTether, or her/his own developed software.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    I don't see a problem with this as long as this craigslist poster is the original creator of MyTether, or her/his own developed software.
    I have my doubts about that.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    i believehe's a member on this forum ........well.....an active member
    the other day someone posted a twitter saying she paid someone to set up her pre for home brew.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I think this is a legit service. There are some people who feel very uncomfortable about mucking around with their phones. $20 seems a good value to get something that they are unwilling to do for themselves.

That said, posting links to mytether in the ad would be more ethical, and I would hope he is either paypaling $10 of the $20 to the developer, or installing the free version.
    You can't assume he's doing something wrong. Maybe he's using the free version, or paying for the "donation require" one.
    legit. just the same as people paying for other to jailbreak their iphones or ipod touches. smart.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    That's hilarious saw it a couple days ago and i was thinking the same thing to myself.
    I agree if you don't want to do it yourself and want to pay someone to do it for you i don't see the issue.
  12.    #12  
    I disagree, I don't think it's legit to profit off of other people's work. His add says the service also includes 100 homebrew applications. I'm sure he wrote all of them right. Or that he tells people they can get them for free.

Also, do you think he informs them of the fact that by installing a teathering app they are violating their terms of service, and it could be considered theft of service.

Things like this will cause Sprint/Palm to crack down on the homebrew scene. I have no problems with people installing teathering software, I've done it myself. I just think its something you shouldn't be selling as a service to people who don't understand what they are getting into.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    i doubt that's the least of his worries. all he's worried about is getting as many pre's and $20 dollar bills as he can. its not legit, but its not NOT legit. its just like if you had an iphone and u paid someone to jailbreak. its not legit with apple or att but its legit iwth you cuz u dont have to pay for apps and/or you can modd your iphone. be prepared to see more and more like this.
    I believe it is legit since the individual is providing a service that is being paid for AKA labor. The software/apps are free. It wouldn't be any different than if I paid someone to install Mozilla Firefox on my computer. Unless the developer of the app specifically states some exception to the individual's service, then I can see it being illegal.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I really don't see an issue with charging for the service of installing the software, however with the link above, he should clarify that what he is offering is a service, rather than the applications.

as it stands, he is implying that you are paying for the software, which is a bit iffy.

now, if the software he was offering was licensed under GPL (which my tether isn't), it's actually perfectly legal and accepted to sell copies of that.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    maybe he needs to rephrase it but is still legit. He is doing some work on installing it and rooting it. therefore "service" = pay
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    I disagree, I don't think it's legit to profit off of other people's work. His add says the service also includes 100 homebrew applications. I'm sure he wrote all of them right. Or that he tells people they can get them for free.

Also, do you think he informs them of the fact that by installing a teathering app they are violating their terms of service, and it could be considered theft of service.

Things like this will cause Sprint/Palm to crack down on the homebrew scene. I have no problems with people installing teathering software, I've done it myself. I just think its something you shouldn't be selling as a service to people who don't understand what they are getting into.
    Now you're making assumptions about what he's doing. We don't know that, and we really have no reason to assume he is.

I've been in the IT business for almost 25 years. I've made literally hundreds of thousands of dollars installing other people's software. There is nothing wrong with it, as long as he is not violating a copyright.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I don't think he is SELLING software, but rather a SERVICE.
    You'd be surprised as to how many people couldn't stomach doing homebrew.
    I will pay somebody $20 if they will root my phone and get me the onscreen keyboard. I live in St Joseph, MO. LOL.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast