View Poll Results: Is it legitimate to charge others to install Teathering/homebrew on their Pre?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, if people are too scared or can't do it themselves it is a legit service.

68 64.76%
  • No, you shouldn't sell other people's free software.

37 35.24%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAnderson127 View Post
    I will pay somebody $20 if they will root my phone and get me the onscreen keyboard. I live in St Joseph, MO. LOL.
    i just got back from vacation in St. Louis!! I think paying for the service is ok, not selling the actual app.
    I CAN change my own oil. But I PAY someone at Jiffylube to do it cuz I don't wanna.

I personally would rather learn how to Access Linux and do it myself, but if i wasn't used to mucking around on the internals of my phone (big shout out to PPCGeeks.com and XDA!), I might have some reservations too.

I think it's a decent service. If (s)he is using the paid version then the developer still gets the cash. If not, well that seems to be a chance taken by the developer to leave the beta version of the App out, but I also think the added security is worth 10 bucks...

nb
    I am not sure but i bet Sprint might have something to say about this lol Its a good idea i guess and would not be bad if he also supported the person who wrote the app and was clear about what home brew is... But it looks a bit shady lol i would not trust a stranger to touch my phone or my car i change my own oil and do all my own work...
    The easiest way to put this guy out of business is to release all apps as open source, make them part of an open standard ipkg feed service like preware.org, and make sure that installation of the package installer is so simple that Aunt Minnie can do it. See: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ecosystem.html

Oh, and if everyone didn't go around scaring people about "rooting" in the first place, this may not have happened (but probably would have eventually anyway) See: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-your-pre.html

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I don't see what the problem is. He isn't selling the app, he is selling the service. The price of the app doesn't matter. If someone wants to pay me to install a linux distribution for them, it is within my right to do so. Its the same thing. You are getting paid for a service. If someone doesn't feel they can do it themselves, they can hire someone to do it.
    This is just the same as some guy installing a software on your pc becvause you can't be arsed to learn it yourself. Don't be a hater just because you didn't think of this first
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The easiest way to put this guy out of business is to release all apps as open source, make them part of an open standard ipkg feed service like preware.org, and make sure that installation of the package installer is so simple that Aunt Minnie can do it. See: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ecosystem.html

Oh, and if everyone didn't go around scaring people about "rooting" in the first place, this may not have happened (but probably would have eventually anyway) See: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-your-pre.html

-- Rod
    i agree...when i first heard of rooting..i heard it could brick your phone...but now it doesn't scare me...i've been accessing linux for like 3 weeks now..playing around with everything...
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The easiest way to put this guy out of business is to release all apps as open source, make them part of an open standard ipkg feed service like preware.org, and make sure that installation of the package installer is so simple that Aunt Minnie can do it.
    Wow! You thought of something nobody else thought of. How simple! How "easy!" Why isn't everyone doing this? Why haven't you done this yourself?

Dunning-Kruger strikes again.

And I love how your post starts out with "The easiest way..."
    ibm installs/configures oracle's sap for large corporations, is that illegal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Wow! You thought of something nobody else thought of. How simple! How "easy!" Why isn't everyone doing this? Why haven't you done this yourself?
    I have (not by myself, but with a team of other developers with similar ideas about the benefits of an open and interoperable ecosystem for Pre homebrew packages).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    I don't think he is SELLING software, but rather a SERVICE.
    A lot of people make money upgrading OS(xp,vista,7). They didn't write them. This person is just offering an 'upgrade' service.
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzchic View Post
    This is just the same as some guy installing a software on your pc becvause you can't be arsed to learn it yourself. Don't be a hater just because you didn't think of this first
    Seriously. By all means, let them be relieved of their $20. Then they can go wail at that guy instead of coming here and whining.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12