Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    But really, the Airave works great. Ask for retentions/cancellations. They can usually get the Airave to you for free, or at least sell you one.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    *****Caution Caution Caution*****

Man who eat many prunes get good run for money.
    Hey, it was just some thoughtful advice so people don't get burned. Just a warning for people who might not be in the know. Take it or leave it.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    it works good if your phone rings. i have an issue with the airave sometime cause my calls goes straight to voicemail. tech support said it works but only does it sometimes. it makes me wonder what calls im missing. i hope the 3g one will correct this problem. i had the airave ever since is was released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Hey, it was just some thoughtful advice so people don't get burned. Just a warning for people who might not be in the know. Take it or leave it.
    The thing is that milominderbinder has a point. Using the 3G airave instead of WiFi is silly. Kinda like going 30 mph in a 65. You still get there, but why not go a little faster?
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    The thing is that milominderbinder has a point. Using the 3G airave instead of WiFi is silly. Kinda like going 30 mph in a 65. You still get there, but why not go a little faster?
    Because running wifi is an extra radio on the phone that when used will obviously drain the battery faster. Additionally, wifi does not work while in standby (unless on battery power) as I said before.
    Also, that is assuming that all subscribers in a household will have a pre, or a phone with wifi. There could be many members here with other family members with dumb-phones and other non-wifi phones; it would make a large difference for them.
    I am going off a little bit of rumors, and a little bit of common sense. The rumor is what the Sprint CTO said, mixed with what a Sprint network tech has told me as well.

Combine that with the fact that, for the first time in a year, the airave is on back order, this leads me to believe that a 3G version of the airave is ready to be released. Though, I could be wrong.

Using wifi for data is an OK solution, but it shuts off when on battery power in standby.
    I called a contact I have in the Airave group who told me that they are still under siege since the Pre was released.

People who used to have decent signal suddenly get almost none with a Pre even when other phones in the house are still fine. That was my case and for dozens of similar posts at PreCentral. The Pre apparently is set up to not allow you to go on roam until there is absolutely no signal...

She said there is a Blackberry that also has similar problems almost as bad as the Pre.

She said that they had been told that the Palm Pre would be as good as the past Treos.

She said that more Airaves are coming from Samsung. Also, WiFi is bandwidth that Sprint does not have to carry so she said to expect that the 3G Airave will also be able to dovetail with WiFi.

So even if you end up with the 3G Airave, you can still get the WiFi bandwidth like 2G Airave customers get.

- Craig
    People who used to have decent signal suddenly get almost none with a Pre even when other phones in the house are still fine. That was my case and for dozens of similar posts at PreCentral. The Pre apparently is set up to not allow you to go on roam until there is absolutely no signal...
    That's my problem.

My wife's Sprint Centro works fine...my Pre: not so good in the house.

I have been on the phone a few times with Sprint this week trying to work things out. They even sent me to a Sprint Repair store to check out my phone. Nothing is helping yet...
    Because running wifi is an extra radio on the phone that when used will obviously drain the battery faster. Additionally, wifi does not work while in standby (unless on battery power) as I said before.
    Also, that is assuming that all subscribers in a household will have a pre, or a phone with wifi. There could be many members here with other family members with dumb-phones and other non-wifi phones; it would make a large difference for them.

Issue 1 - Battery drain

You are at home. Plug it in.

Issue 2 - Non Smartphones in the house.

What data intensive things are you doing with your phones that require more than 1x? If you need something more, then wait for the 3g Airave.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Got my Airave free and no monthly charges!!! No signal to full bars thru most of the house, even in basement!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstarx View Post
    Got my Airave free and no monthly charges!!! No signal to full bars thru most of the house, even in basement!
    Especially in basement.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Between the monthly charge, limited number of connections, and current backorder, the Airave isn't looking that sweet to me right now. Has anyone tried a repeater, like one of these:

Higher initial cost, but handles more phones and no monthly charge. But I don't hear anyone talking about using one, which makes me wonder how effective.
    FYI.These are illegal. The signal you are trying to amplify belongs to Sprint. The increased level you are sending back to the tower increases the noise floor and causes poor performance for everyone. If you install it incorectly and casue problems, Sprint and/or the FCC can have you court ordered to turn it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by timj007 View Post
    it works good if your phone rings. i have an issue with the airave sometime cause my calls goes straight to voicemail. tech support said it works but only does it sometimes. it makes me wonder what calls im missing. i hope the 3g one will correct this problem. i had the airave ever since is was released.
    The airave is acting like a mini cell site and is connecting to Sprint switch through your broadband connection. All it takes is some delay or error rate somewhere in the chain and your phone location will not update with the switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    I called a contact I have in the Airave group who told me that they are still under siege since the Pre was released.

She said there is a Blackberry that also has similar problems almost as bad as the Pre.

She said that they had been told that the Palm Pre would be as good as the past Treos.

She said that more Airaves are coming from Samsung. Also, WiFi is bandwidth that Sprint does not have to carry so she said to expect that the 3G Airave will also be able to dovetail with WiFi.

So even if you end up with the 3G Airave, you can still get the WiFi bandwidth like 2G Airave customers get.

- Craig

Roaming is a network setting that is tower specific before the phone takes over and begins seraching for any and all signals. the setting is based on the assumed distance from the tower based on the delay of the signal from device to handset.
    Because running wifi is an extra radio on the phone that when used will obviously drain the battery faster.
    Yankees,

A long list of us have independently tested and verified what Dieter found:
    Turn ON WiFi. No, seriously. It holds true actually no matter what your signal strength.

Try this simple test. Charge to 100%, disconnect from charger, turn off WiFi and all apps, and do all the steps you can from the Extending Battery Life Tips. Play some huge YouTube video using Sprint data only. Now repeat with all other variables unchaged but with WiFi on.

Do the test again except with steaming Pandora for an hour on WiFi and off WiFi.

WiFi takes less battery every time.

Can you please post for us how you did your testing that proved that WiFi took more battery life than Sprint cellular data?

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 08/22/2009 at 09:24 AM.
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    ordered the airave about three weeks ago. They told me it was on backorder and i would get it in about a week...three weeks later - no airave.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    ordered the airave about three weeks ago. They told me it was on backorder and i would get it in about a week...three weeks later - no airave.
    Call them back. Ask for a supervisor. I always ask for their 8 digit employee code so that I tell them who made a commitment.

- Craig
    I was promised one about a month ago, but the order got "lost in the system". When I called to follow up, I think they got it straightened out, but I was informed that they are on back order until mid-September.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I suggest calling Sprint, using a professional and polite tone, let them know you are disappointed that you can't use the phone for its primary intended purpose, as a phone. If this basic functionality doesn't work, you will really need to consider getting service with a different provider that will work. I pointed out my wife's TMobile phone never drops in our house. I asked if there was something that could be done to help the situation otherwise I'd have to cancel my service. The rep I was transferred to in Retentions was great. He pointed out the benefits of the AirRave and had a refurb unit shipped to me immediately. I get a credit for the cost of the service, so there was no charge for the AirRave or the service.

Now I'm a very happy Sprint user. Coverage is great for me whenever I travel and within my house, the AirRave has filled the gap.

Angry and yelling is a bad approach, just explain the situation politely and see if they can give you some satisfaction. This approach has worked for many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamboaz View Post
    I suggest calling Sprint, using a professional and polite tone, let them know you are disappointed that you can't use the phone for its primary intended purpose, as a phone...
    Exactly!

I had the same situation. I called and was polite and said the same things and got the Airave for free and no monthly charges.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsimon9633 View Post
    i got mine today and it has the syste light blinking red and gps red. but i just got it, how long does it take to get adjusted?
    are you using the external antenna or the internal one? if you're not using the ext. is the airave sort of near a window? if not, then you might want to either move the device closer to a window or install the included external antenna and route the cable to a window. it needs a gps lock for e911 and other mojo in order to function.

i love my airave. sprint waived the cost of the device and the monthly ($5) fee associated with it. it's a great device and has about the same coverage as a 2.4GHz 802.11b/g wireless router. the signal level of the device is actually slightly lower than a typical wireless router.
    it is the largest octopus ever recorded.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast