Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Apparently track 10 from the Ocean's Twelve soundtrack contains secret speaker exploding notes. I was using it as my ringtone, and at some point the speaker broke on my Pre. After that everything was very quiet and very distorted. So I brought it back to Best Buy and they swapped it out for a new one since it was before the initial 30 days were up. Excellent.

A few weeks later I'm doing stuff around the house and have the volume turned up nice and loud on my phone so I can hear if someone calls. I do happen to hear it ring, and as I'm walking to grab it, I also hear the speaker blow out. Everything is very quiet and very distorted once again. Before this point I was assuming it was just bad luck on my part, certainly not the mp3, but two speakers in a row makes me wonder..

So now I'm sporting a shiny new Samsung M520 loaner phone, which has a working speaker. Very nice.

Anyone else come across any speaker exploding mp3's we should avoid, or have any similar speaker woes?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    that song happens to actually have quite a bit of bass in it. I bet that's what blew the speaker. if that is the case, it's unfortunate, because there should really be a crossover, or limiter of some sort to prevent signals that may damage the speaker from coming through.

I would suggest running whatever song you want to use as your ringtone through Audacity, and applying a high pass filter (200 - 250 or so Hz).
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    That is surprising, but I guess at least I know how to avoid it happening again. Well, unless I try watching a youtube video or something that also has lots of bass in it but don't realize it soon enough. You're right, there really should be some sort of protection for that - I wonder if a software filter could be implemented that would cut the lows from any audio being output through the onboard speaker..

Excellent suggestion on the high pass filter though, I'll definitely be doing that for future ringtones (once I get my new new Pre)!
    But, Ocean's Twelve...???