1.    #1  
    Just curious how they know you signed up for insurance after your phone got water damage or something.

Anyone know?

Thanks
    Some CSR's will let you do this, some wont
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I added TEP 2 weeks after I got my phone over chat. It took only 30seconds.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I think in the first 30 days it isn't too much of a problem- don't know if they are required to do it though. I'd say if your phone isn't damaged you should easily be able to do it (you could technically return/rebuy if needed). If it is really badly damaged you might have a harder time. After 30 days, good luck.
  5.    #5  
    thanks everyone. My phone is currently drying out after getting wet by setting it in a cup holder with some water in it. i signed up for TEP ins. right after that. just wondering how they would know I signed up after the potential damage
    Keep in mind that what you're proposing (or insinuating) is considered insurance fraud.

While Sprint may not know, it'll probably look a little suspicious and is considered a crime in all states but Oregon and Virginia (at least, directly). Citation
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    they wont unless you tell them
    Quote Originally Posted by coolpixer View Post
    thanks everyone. My phone is currently drying out after getting wet by setting it in a cup holder with some water in it. i signed up for TEP ins. right after that. just wondering how they would know I signed up after the potential damage
    If you've had your phone 30 days, you are not eligible for TEP unless you first take your phone to a Sprint tech center. They can see if it's water damaged, and they will test the phone.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Stick the phone in a baggie sealed with a bunch of uncooked rice. That will help absorb some of the water.
    Not to throw up a red flag or anything but technically this is insurance fraud... even though some reps allow it... just sayin :|
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

<Palm Pre Speed Test>

Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    I'm telling on you. :P
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Might as well post something asking for a kilo of cocaine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Keep in mind that what you're proposing (or insinuating) is considered insurance fraud.

While Sprint may not know, it'll probably look a little suspicious and is considered a crime in all states but Oregon and Virginia (at least, directly). Citation
    Living in Oregon, I wonder why it's not considered a crime here? Never was aware of that.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    You can purchase the insurance anytime but you have to wait 30 days after purchasing the insurance to make a claim... that has been my past experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolpixer View Post

So you're too cheap to sign up for the insurance up front, but now that you've screwed up and damaged your phone, you want to cause people who do pay for insurance have to pay for your errors. Obviously you made a choice, so why just step up and take responsibility for your actions? I don't think I should have to pay a higher premium so you can get a new phone.

Oh, and they will be able to tell that you phone was wet. There are little stickers in the phone that change color when they get wet. So even with insurance, you'll have to pay a $100/deductible no matter when you take it in. Without insurance, you would have had to pay only $119 for a replacement (look at the Sprint site under equipment replacement and you'll see) since it's still under the 1 year mfg. warranty. Hope you enjoy your new phone.
    Last edited by ivhs72; 08/19/2009 at 11:05 AM.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmax View Post
    Stick the phone in a baggie sealed with a bunch of uncooked rice. That will help absorb some of the water.
    But it won't change the color of the stickers they use to show if water was in the phone. Once changed, they stay changed.

Quote Originally Posted by ls1mtz View Post
    You can purchase the insurance anytime but you have to wait 30 days after purchasing the insurance to make a claim... that has been my past experience.
    Since I've always purchased my insurance when I bought my phones, I don't know if they enforce it; however, this is from Sprint's website on TEP:

Are equipment protection options available for my device if I don't enroll within 30 days of activation or upgrade?
    A Phone Repair Center can enroll you in TEP at the time of a paid or in-warranty store repair. You can also add a protection
  18.    #18  
    thanks everyone for your comments. And yes I am cheap! I'm hoping my phone should be alright. it's currently drying out in a closed tupperware container with a bag of damp rid.

I will carry ins. none-the-less from here on out ivhs72.
    For Information purposes:

From the Sprint web site:

"What is Total Equipment protection?

Total Equipment Protection is a monthly insurance coverage subscription program offering comprehensive service, repair and replacement. It combines the features and benefits of two individual programs:

Equipment Service and Repair Program:
    Coverage against mechanical or electrical problems, routine maintenance or failure from normal use.
    Repair and service are available at Sprint Phone Repair Centers. Check our online Sprint Store Locator for the nearest location.

Equipment Replacement Program:
    Insurance for stolen, lost or physically damaged devices.
    File your claim within 60 days of the loss.
    To file a claim, call Asurion Customer Care at 1-800-584-3666.
    If your device is lost or stolen, contact Sprint at 1-888-211-4727 to suspend service.

Fees & Coverage Details

The fee for the program is $7 per phone, smart device or mobile broadband card per month.

You can have up to three approved claims for loss, theft, physical or liquid damage within any consecutive 12 months.

A $50 or $100 nonrefundable deductible will apply for approved claims for loss, theft, physical or liquid damage claims.

When equipment replacement claims are approved, you will receive the same or comparable equipment, of like kind and quality, with similar features as your original equipment. Replacement equipment may be refurbished, reconditioned or different from your original phone, smart device or mobile broadband card."

Also from Sprint:

"If the equipment is covered by Total Equipment Protection (TEP) or Equipment Service & Repair Program (ESRP), there is no charge for repairs when the service technician defines the required action due to normal wear and tear or mechanical/electrical failure. If the issue is covered by the Manufacturer's Warranty, there is no charge for repair or replacement at a retail location. If the equipment is covered by TEP or Equipment Replacement Program (ERP) and the technician defines the issue as physical damage, damaged beyond repair or liquid damage, you will be referred to Asurion to file a claim and will need to pay a $50 or $100 non-refundable deductible per approved claim depending on phone model.
    Devices enrolled in Total Equipment Protection (TEP) have complete coverage for one low monthly price added on to your bill. A $50 or $100 non-refundable deductible per approved claim depending on phone model applies. The Equipment Replacement Program (ERP) portion of TEP covers physical and liquid damage, damage beyond repair, loss and theft. The Equipment Service & Repair Program (ESRP) portion of TEP covers mechanical/electrical problems, failures from normal wear & tear and routine phone maintenance.

If the equipment is not covered by the Manufacturer Warranty, TEP, ERP or ESRP, the per incident fee will be $99 to $119, depending on the type of equipment.Services provided at no charge are manufacturer warranty for mechanical or electrical failure for one year of original activation date, device unlock/reset, phonebook swaps and software updates. Your Phone Repair Center will make every effort to provide these services on site. In most situations (but not all), these locations can unlock or reset your phone, Smartphone software and transfer your phone book. Data such as pictures, videos and ringers may be eligible for file transfer as well."

20.    #20  
    ok so i'm safe either way. $119 is reasonable to me for my wet phone. Thanks for the info ivhs72.