Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1. ajb176's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
       #1  
    I was on vacation in NY last week and I noticed that the two days I used the subway I had horrible battery life. My commute was about 35-40 minutes each way with most of the time spent underground in Manhattan. I figured that my phone may have been trying to search for a signal while I was in the subway. I've never messed with the roaming settings, so I'm sure its at whatever the factory default is, in case that helps any. I was just surprised to see it deplete so much in those two days in Manhattan and the only thing I could figure is that it had something to do with the subway. I only used the phone for a few searches and a few phone calls those two days. Any NY'ers have similar experiences?
  2. #2  
    i turn airplane mode on when riding the subway.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3. rayln's Avatar
    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    i turn airplane mode on when riding the subway.
    same.
  4. #4  
    The pre is AWFUL, battery wise, when it has a low signal. If you have a fringe sprint signal, or no signal at all. The battery will (at least for me) drop a % point every minute. If you know you will have no signal for a while, turn on airplane mode.

    This is unacceptable, sprint and palm.
  5. ajb176's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
       #5  
    I used to live in NY and moved about 7 years ago and never had an issue with my battery depleting so badly while in the subway. Granted, this was years ago and I wasn't using a smartphone back then, but I would be a bit annoyed at the prospect of having to turn on/off airplane mode twice a day on my commute to work. I could see me sometimes forgetting to turn it off or on with bitter consequences. Since its been a while since I've been a straphanger, has anyone had this problem with other smartphones/networks in the past on subways? It's also interesting to note that my husband's Instinct did fine on battery life both days.
  6. #6  
    My battery droped 20% going from 5 stops under the tunnel I was amazed.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    My battery droped 20% going from 5 stops under the tunnel I was amazed.
    Were you using the phone at all, or was it in a pocket that entire time?
  8. #8  
    ALL life is threatened when riding the NY subway. You should be glad you made it home.
  9. #9  
    I don't have any of the experiences that you are having on the Subway. But I too usually turn on Airplane mode.

    But I suspect you have your email set to 'push'. I have my to check once an hour. I also make sure that WiFi is off when out. If you are not going to be in an area where you can use the Wifi, it's best to turn it off.

    See the thread that's here on suggestions to saving your Battery.

    Mine is lasting all day.

    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  10. #10  
    That remark shows how much you have to learn about the NY Subway. Almost 8 million people a day ride the subways, and get to and from their destinations safely and efficiently, using very little energy. Crime is at an all-time low, breakdowns are similarly at an all-time low. Get the facts before you crtiticize one of the most efficient forms of transportation there is.
  11. #11  
    I commute in NYC as well, i turn on Airplane mode.

    Come up to my job with 100% battery.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I don't have any of the experiences that you are having on the Subway. But I too usually turn on Airplane mode.

    But I suspect you have your email set to 'push'. I have my to check once an hour. I also make sure that WiFi is off when out. If you are not going to be in an area where you can use the Wifi, it's best to turn it off.

    See the thread that's here on suggestions to saving your Battery.

    Mine is lasting all day.

    Rob
    Same here...end of the work day....phone percentage:
    78%.
  13. #13  
    Thanks ambassador, but I've been.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    That remark shows how much you have to learn about the NY Subway. Almost 8 million people a day ride the subways, and get to and from their destinations safely and efficiently, using very little energy. Crime is at an all-time low, breakdowns are similarly at an all-time low. Get the facts before you crtiticize one of the most efficient forms of transportation there is.
  14. #14  
    if i dont turn on airplane mode, the batter goes down about 10%. if i do turn it on, it usually stays at 100.

    btw, i had to do the same thing on my centro and my 1st gen ipod touch (turn off wifi).
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  15. #15  
    There was this handy lil app i had for my 700Wx that would put the phone radio in some sort of standby or extreme power saver mode if it couldn't get a signal (or kept searching for a signal) for more than 5 mins (it could be set for longer).

    Btw, i'm digging the new model trains on the E line !!

    Maybe someone could develop an app of that sort for the Pre.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  16. ajb176's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    There was this handy lil app i had for my 700Wx that would put the phone radio in some sort of standby or extreme power saver mode if it couldn't get a signal (or kept searching for a signal) for more than 5 mins (it could be set for longer).

    Btw, i'm digging the new model trains on the E line !!

    Maybe someone could develop an app of that sort for the Pre.
    I'm with you on that one. Developers take note Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Next time I visit, I will definitely put it airplane mode for the subway.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Thanks ambassador, but I've been.
    I just don't care for the stench of urine that permeates nearly the entire system.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mike626 View Post
    I just don't care for the stench of urine that permeates nearly the entire system.

    even the open eair stations?

    geeez.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  19. #19  
    in NYC - same issue. subway kills the battery. I don;t use airaplane mode - honestly i find it annoying that i have to remember to turn it on and off. i have a touch stoen at work and at home - i charge often as opposed to changing e-mauil retrevial times or lover the brighness , etc.
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  20. #20  
    It's a huge, amazing system, but hasn't received the support over the years that systems in capital cities (think London, Paris, Moscow) have, so maintenance is always a catch-up. There are lots of new cars, and more on the way, but stations are lagging behind. Hopefully, a new capital plan, which must be approved by the State Legislature, will allow us to move forward in a way that New Yorkers and our millions of visitors deserve. Hey - how about a discount for Pre, Treo & Centro owners?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions